Opinion - Teknic lightning 2 piece - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Opinion - Teknic lightning 2 piece

What are your feelings on this 2 pc?

Fit, quality, etc. Jacket for commuting and both for canyon runs. Ebay have it for low $500.

http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=5

Thanks,

Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 02:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I think the jacket is to short to wear by itself. Those suits are mostly designed so you can take off the jacket at the track when your not riding. I have that suit and I'd never even think of wearting just the jacket to ride in.
Joe Rocket makes some suits that have a full length jacket and pants.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #3 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madav8tr
Personally, my opinion of Teknic stuff isn't high at all. I had a pair of their speedstar(???) gloves that didn't hold up very well at all in a minor lowside. I had a good bit of rash on both palms. I read a review in sport rider a couple of years back and they had similar results with Teknic gear. They said they questioned Teknic about it and they told them that the particualr line of gear that Sport Rider had inadvertantly "tested" wasn't designed to be worn on the racetrack. I failed to make any sense from that since the track is the safest place to crash. I won't buy Teknic now from my personal experience but your results may vary.

WERA Expert #138

Current rides:
2007 Harley Street Glide
2006 Husqvarna SM610S Supermoto
2004 ZX10R
1988 Hawk 650
2005 HD Road King police bike

post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Great info.

I guess I'll shop around for some joerockets.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
ive had arlen ness stuff....great stuff!

also the frank thomas stuff at cycle gear is good.

and alpinestars you cant go wrong with either...

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I can only say that I love my Teknic Violator Pro gloves... but fortunately I haven't crash tested 'em. They've held up great to a few years of use though and they fit/feel great.

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
post #7 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaforhire
I think the jacket is to short to wear by itself. Those suits are mostly designed so you can take off the jacket at the track when your not riding. I have that suit and I'd never even think of wearting just the jacket to ride in.
Joe Rocket makes some suits that have a full length jacket and pants.
Hadn't thought about that, but it makes perfect sense.

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have exactly that suit...Teknic Lightening. Used it for over 13000 kms this season and loved it. Fits great, good quality, never had a problem with it and would heartily recomend to anyone. My buddy has the same set up,rides just as far and likes it as well. Another buddy has the pants only which he wears with a textile jacket and likes it as well.

As for the fit being too short for the jacket alone...that is going to be dependent on your own torso length. Go to a local shop and try it on to see if possible. I am a 44 long and wear a 46 long in Teknic. It gives me a bit of slack underneath in order to layer up when it turns cool.

I don't like the Joe Rocket, a little too bling for me. I also don't feel the quality is the same but that is purely personal and shouldn't be taken as gospel.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for all the info people!

I'll continue to shop around locally and see the suits before ordering online. I don't know if it's the season right now, but it seems like my local dealer use to carry all sort of leather suits but only currently carry a few Dainese 1 pc. I like Dainese, but cannot afford to pay 2+Gs right now.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-02-2005, 12:34 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
I have the Joe Rocket Speedmaster I believe is the series. It's the most expensive one. I just have the jacket though. It is super nice and really high quality. I have a matching pair of gloves that I love too. I wear this stuff year round. The speedmaster series is only a 1 piece or jacket only. However Joe Rocket makes a black leather pant you can by seperately. I have seen them and they are good quality but still doesn't look like it has the "fitting" feel of a one-piece. They do have a GPX which is a pretty nice two piece suit but the pants that go with it are plain jane just like the pants you would buy seperately.

All in all, they have a killer looking speedmaster 1 piece, or they have a really killer speedmaster jacket. If you wanted two piece and wanted a little bling, they aren't the way to go. I really don't know of many two piece suits that look good. If you are dead set on a two piece, I might would suggest checking alpinestar. They usually have some good looking stuff and quite a few options for two piece suits. Here's a link.

http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/moto_suits_frst.htm

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in