Ok, so I think I'm going back to a litre... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Ok, so I think I'm going back to a litre...

I've just about decided to sell the 636 and get another litre. I can't explain why, but I'm starting to miss the crap out of my 10 and the way a litre rides in general. The 636 is an awesome bike no doubt. It would be easy to convince me that it's probably the best of the 600 class even though I haven't rode any of the others. It's just that I am finding that I prefer a litre for street riding. I would never have seen this coming. I had slowed my pace down a lot and was riding pretty sane before I sold the 10 and thought the nature of the 600 would be perfectly suited to that. And it's not that the 6 doesn't work well for that. It's just that I prefer how the 10 done it. Again, I'm at a loss for words on this. Just can't seem to verbalize what I'm thinking here.

Anyway, it will be one of three bikes... Another '04-'05 10R, an '06 10R, or........ a K5 gixxer. I'm leaning toward waiting for the '06 10 to hit the showroom so I can see how it feels compared to my '04, but I'm also thinking about checking out deals on used current model 10's and gixxers. A deal on a used bike would help offset the hosing I'll take selling the 636 so soon after buying it new, but I always lean toward buying new bikes so I can break them in my way and know their history from day one.

I wish I'd had a way to learn this **before** I got rid of my sweet ass Diablo. Oh well... This won't be my first expensive ass lesson and probably won't be my last. :headshake

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
I've just about decided to sell the 636 and get another litre. I can't explain why, but I'm starting to miss the crap out of my 10 and the way a litre rides in general. The 636 is an awesome bike no doubt. It would be easy to convince me that it's probably the best of the 600 class even though I haven't rode any of the others. It's just that I am finding that I prefer a litre for street riding. I would never have seen this coming. I had slowed my pace down a lot and was riding pretty sane before I sold the 10 and thought the nature of the 600 would be perfectly suited to that. And it's not that the 6 doesn't work well for that. It's just that I prefer how the 10 done it. Again, I'm at a loss for words on this. Just can't seem to verbalize what I'm thinking here.

Anyway, it will be one of three bikes... Another '04-'05 10R, an '06 10R, or........ a K5 gixxer. I'm leaning toward waiting for the '06 10 to hit the showroom so I can see how it feels compared to my '04, but I'm also thinking about checking out deals on used current model 10's and gixxers. A deal on a used bike would help offset the hosing I'll take selling the 636 so soon after buying it new, but I always lean toward buying new bikes so I can break them in my way and know their history from day one.

I wish I'd had a way to learn this **before** I got rid of my sweet ass Diablo. Oh well... This won't be my first expensive ass lesson and probably won't be my last. :headshake
no good life lesson is cheap. hope ya find what your after i would miss the litre bike now that i've gotten some good seat time on it no way could i go back down, good hunting El D

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
post #3 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyzx10r
no good life lesson is cheap. hope ya find what your after i would miss the litre bike now that i've gotten some good seat time on it no way could i go back down, good hunting El D

Yeah, you're right. If I had all my le$$on money back I'd have a nice chunk of change, but I wouldn't swap the experiences I've had for it. Makes life interesting.

I'm sort of thinking the difference, and what I miss, is not the amount of power on tap, but the power delivery. Even the 636 has more power than I can fully use on the street. Truth be told, my 10R could probably have been down tuned to the maximum output of the 636 or even a little less and I wouldn't have cared as long as it delivered the power as the litre does up to that point. I think maybe it's the feel of the torque and the power delivery that has me longing to come back. All I can say for sure is that a 6 and a litre are two completely different rides and I like the litre ride better. :;):

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

El Diablo
post #4 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Bobster Send a message via Yahoo to Bobster
I could never go back to a 6....Im a little surprised that youre considering a gixxer. Not that theyre not good bikes, but the path is well traveled. Good luck tho...
post #5 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

WOW El-D. I can understand how you feel. I have NO desire now to ride my 7R or the wifes 6R. You have to shift the crap out of those 600 cc bikes to keep them in the sweet spot. Dont have that problem with a Liter bike.

BK
05-ZX10R
2K ZX-7R
01' ZX-6R<-- Wifes
post #6 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster
I could never go back to a 6....Im a little surprised that youre considering a gixxer. Not that theyre not good bikes, but the path is well traveled. Good luck tho...

I guess the gixxer consideration is more of a curiousity thing for me. I'd just like to compare it to the 10 before I make a decision. It's the only other litre that really interests me at all, so I thought I'd give it a look. I'm definitely leaning more toward a 10R. If the 636 sells quickly I may see what I can find in left over '05 10's. The longer it takes to sell the 6, the more I'll probably lean toward waiting to see what the '06 10 feels like. I'm still torn on the looks and styling of the '06, but it's growing on me.

I figure if I could just score a ride on a K5 gixx I'd probably go for the 10 and not have this curiousity nagging at me. At this point I'm thinking that risking liking the gixxer as much as I did Diablo would be about as big a risk as it was going to the 636 thinking I'd like it as much. I see where that ended up and don't care to take another detour on the way back to what I want. That's why I'm probably 85% set on another 10.

--

El Diablo
post #7 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-7rking
WOW El-D. I can understand how you feel. I have NO desire now to ride my 7R or the wifes 6R. You have to shift the crap out of those 600 cc bikes to keep them in the sweet spot. Dont have that problem with a Liter bike.

Yeah, I remember the days of throwin' Diablo into second or third gear, depending on the road I was on, and just forgetting the shifter was there. I don't really mind shifting the 636 to keep it in the sweet spot, but I think I do prefer choosing the right gear for the road and keeping my feet up on the pegs from there on out.

--

El Diablo
post #8 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Man what a expensive lesson to learn.
post #9 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

why dont you just get a V-twin if you like the torque so much.

post #10 of 48 Old 09-10-2005, 05:55 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
Ide definatly wait for the 06 to hit the floor....i know once you see it in person, sit on it, ride it, whatever, youll have no reservations about any other bike.....sure it has some cosmetic flaws, but been hearing that companies will be making an under-the-bike exhaust and output, could be rumors, who knows, but if so, it will be bad azz.....not crazy about the headlights either, but thats a small sacrifice for the performance you get.....im definately considering selling to get one, but the only thing i hate is waiting for aftermarket stuff to come available, but i kept my 04 stock forever before adding any mods... however, the only color ide want is black and we all know those are gonna go quick!! so if i want one i better start thinkin hard on it....

also, im surprized that you wouldnt consider the r1 as an option, that would be my 2nd choice behind the 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in