Newbie Riders on 1000cc bikes - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Newbie Riders on 1000cc bikes

Yesterday, it was a glorious 75+ degrees by the coast on Hwy 1. (North of San Francisco, toward Stinson Beach and Point Reyes Sta.) For those who have ridden this road, you know that when the Tarmac gets warm, it is like a wet dream come true. Warm days (79+) in San Francisco are akin to seeing a super hot girl walking and heading straight for you to ask you out on a date. Not going to happen.

So, I lubed up my trusty links, greased the forks on the Mille and decided to leave early for Jenner, CA.

Mt. Tam, all good. You know those days when you are just feeling "so right". The engine is singing to you and the tires are sticking so well that you wonder how much you are going to have to yank the throttle to break the rear a bit. Lines are so clear, that you just point and shoot.

I get down to Stinson Beach, and see this large pack of riders. So I go up to one of the guys and ask him if it is ok to ride with them. He says yes, then I ask where they are from and he says Walnut Creek. I think cool. New crew. Gotta watch.

We proceed to start riding. I am third behind a Tuono with what looked like a cargo bag on the back. And the head guy is on a Gixxer Thou. We start clipping along and get to the Bolinas Lagoon and all of a sudden, F*ck*ng Marin County Sheriff right in front of us. I know these guys and how they operate (LAW ENFORCEMENT = REVENUE GENERATION). So we take it slow all the way to Point Reyes Station. In the meantime, I am watching the guy on the Gixxer and he is acting up already. (That should have been my clue).

Once we pass Point Reyes Station, the guy on the Gixxer starts really gunning. I am thinking about the Sheriff and he must have really stepped on the gas, because we did not seem him anymore. So we start gassing and I pass the guy on the Mille. Now, I am by no means a Ben Spies, but I have been riding hwy 1 for about 30 years or so and know this road really well. I know pretty much where you can goose it and where you can't. I know that there are some descending radius turns where I have seen other riders die. Amongst other weird tarmarc inconsistencies.

Well after passing the Tuono, I am just ready to clear out. I come up on the tail of the gixxer dude who by now is taking the silliest lines and doing all sorts of stupid shit. Then as I am RIGHT behind him we go into a corner at about 75+ and all of a sudden, Gixxer dude sees the Sheriff Wagon and decides to SLAM on his brakes MID-CORNER !!!!! As he does this, he looks behind and by this time I can not slow down fast enough. I yank the Mille over to the right, and by the protection and grace of the lord, I end up just barely touching his rear tailpiece with my clip-on. It could have been ugly. Now everyone slows down and the Sheriff sees all this in his rear-view. I decide that this is enough and make a U and head back to PRS to gather myself. A total wake up call. I'd like to hear people's feedback on this. Was I at fault for following too close? Should he have continued without braking? I have ridden with a lot of people and have never experienced this.

Glad I am still here to tell the story !!!!

Last edited by classpath_sf; 05-07-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Tough call on that one. I know that I've done the same thing - follow someone too close when I wanted to get past them. We also had a guy who used to ride with wife and I (we both ride), and he had a real problem following my wife, Heather, too closely. That, and the fact that he just never paid attention, caused him to almost rearend Heather on more than one occasion. Finally I talked to him and basically told him to back the f off.

Yet, at Americade a few years ago on a demo ride, I was on a ZRX and was riding right up the tailpipe of the less-experienced rider in front of me on a zx6r. I know that I shouldn't have ridden like this, but the guy was blowing all the corners by nailing the brakes and tip-toeing through them
post #3 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well, sounds like you caught a break. Easy to ride with in your limits hard to tell what others limits are. We often say that a lot has to do with rider ability on the bike, most of the time it is how crazy is the fugger and how far will he push it!

Three things that don't remain hidden for long, the moon, the sun and the truth!
post #4 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I generally ride at a staggered position to the person in front of me, but I guess when riding with unknown riders its best to be sitting back to observe for awhile.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to shenanigans
you might have been to close. I would say yes because you are on hwy 1 and knowing that their is turns you should of stayed back and watched him or passed him on a straight and led. either way he is a dumbass for braking mid turn. by now we should all know if your speeding and you see a cop is already too late he will pull you over dont do anything stupid like slam on your brakes.

-Dan AKA Shenanigans

post #6 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You are only guilty of following to close to an IDIOT!!!

SG

Green is fastest.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

I think you were too close.

Reason: When riding with a new group, or individual for that matter, you should be in one of two places. Hanging out at the back observing the others and how they conduct themselves(Preferd) or in the front leading ( not as preferd as you don't know what they are doing behind ya). Until you figure out the other(s) quirks, play it safe and just ride. If this was done, you would not have put yourself in to the predictament because you would have seen how squirrely the leader was and either turned around, let them leave ya behind, or ride it out til you get to a place to branch off, I know #1 has limited exits to get off at so I would have probably turned around and get out as quick has you could.

Ride safe and be weary of new groups,

Tread
post #8 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to fordfasterr
There are at least 9 out of 10 liter bike riders that are total squids out here where I live....

You see them wearing a tex jacket, cruiser gloves, jeans and sneakers - with fully modified bikes / full exhaust/ mods, some with fancy wheels and all that ...

Then you look at their tires and they have 2 inch chicken strips on each side.... Puleeeeeze.

AIM = fordfaster - 2004 CBR 600RR
post #9 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfasterr View Post
There are at least 9 out of 10 liter bike riders that are total squids out here where I live....

You see them wearing a tex jacket, cruiser gloves, jeans and sneakers - with fully modified bikes / full exhaust/ mods, some with fancy wheels and all that ...

Then you look at their tires and they have 2 inch chicken strips on each side.... Puleeeeeze.
The squids wear jackest and gloves where you live? Amazing! Out here the tan Timberland boots are just as popular as sneakers....
post #10 of 23 Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I try to avoid group rides with too many unknown riders ... Seen and heard of way too much BS happening, and I don't need to be part of it.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in