Need some help from the military Homies - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Need some help from the military Homies

I am struggling to get my push ups and sit ups where they need to be. I am looking at what you guys do to prepare for you PT tests? I have been looking at this thing called pyramid training but I really want to know what you guys are doing to help increase your test scores. I am not worried about running or getting smaller waist measurements because I got that on lock down. I just need to get my strength up in these two sections. Any help or advice would go a long way at this point. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How old are you?

My best advice for pushups is...Do pushups, lots of them all the time when I first joined I could barley do 20, on my last pt test I did 76 and I've only been in a year. Get creative if your watching tv do 10 every commercial let's say there's 6 commercials 3 times throughout a 1 hour show that's 180 pushups right there and you won't even realize you did that many
post #3 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

for the USMC PFT we do pull ups, sit ups, and 3 mi run, so no pushups for us.

If you want to get better at push ups its pretty easy though, get push up handles (or just a set of dumbbells spread a little wider than shoulder width apart) and push while holding those. When your in the down position go ALL THE WAY DOWN, stretch the shit out of your chest!!! Do a few max sets so your body is warm and used to the range of motion. Then have a buddy put some weight on your back and repeat motion, remember to concentrate on form and go as HEAVY as you can, dont worry so much about how many you can do as long as its more than 15-20. When you become used to pushing with an extra 45+ pounds on your back, when its time for your test youll kill it with just your body weight, youll feel like a feather!!

Sit ups are one of those things bro, im assuming your really skinny because typically the thin guys have the hardest time with crunches. If you want to build a stronger core, work your whole core, obliques, lower and upper abs. Its gonna hurt really really bad, but youll get there in no time.

Consistency is key! before i lift everyday in the gym i do a max set (20) dead hang pull ups, and on back days i hang weight between my legs and get after it like that.

Get some man! Semper Fi

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #4 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Dude, I am kinda in the same boat, they jsut changed the AF reg, and I had to do 11 more push ups this year to max, I missed it by 5, that ended a string of 4 strait 100's, so I was a little pissed, but I am training hard and think I fugured it out. Concentrate on speed, the faster you do them the better off you will, be, dont take that pause at the top and dont lock your elbows, I do them every night before bed till I cant do them anymore, and am up to over 65 in just a couple weeks since I tested at 52. I also take a break out of the day and bust out 40 or so every couple hours. I think actually doing more push ups will be more benificial than weitghts, different exercises, etc. Are you by any chance tall and slender? Thats my problem ,I got really long arms and seems jsut the fact that I have such long arms and was trying to lock my arms in the up position was costing me time and energy. IF your in the AF, they are much more concerned with the down positon 90 degree bend than they are with the full up position anyway. Now I know better. Gonna take my test again, jsut so I can get my 100.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #5 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Pushups, I just do them whenever I get a free chance, be that at home or in the office. Just knock out a quick 10-15, before you know it you will be doing 200 a day lol. As for situps, I do regular crunches, side crunches, pull up bar crunches and at home I sometimes stick a chair close to my bed to hold my feet and do "suicides" as I call them because you can lean back father that way addiing more strain to your abs.
post #6 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What helped me was:

flutter kicks in a V position, which after a while no hands balancing was possible;
laying on back, lift legs to 90* then push your feet toward the ceiling (your butt should lift from the deck.

Push-ups... do 10 reps every 2 hours, then 10 reps every hour (increase reps as needed).

I was a Navy Corpsman stationed with a Marine Infantry platoon - went Marine regs (wore Marine uniforms, PFT, etc), but the above still helped. Did a PRT just for fun with the 'Navy' guys and maxed out, which I also credit to the above.

-Josh

Just a Playa In Management Position
post #7 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

prrrroooottitiiiiieeeennn!!!!!!

'07 SE- Lots to party with.
post #8 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Riding4life
OK here is what I do.......do push-ups everyday...as many as you can right out of bed and when you do your push-ups (if your Army) you can have your feet up to 12 inches apart.....try it, it makes it easier, your weight is spread over 4 points rather then 3 with feet together, do them on a hard surface, not a mat or pad and keep your arms about shoulder or a few inches wider.

Sit-ups...those suck, best way to prep for those is to do inclined (legs higher then head) sit-ups with 20-40 pounds on your chest, do those till you can't then go do some weights or run on treadmill then come back and do it again, also do some leg lifts, we have a stand that you support all your weight on your forearms and then lift your legs at the waist...it helps take the stress off your tailbone and helps build stomach, ass and back. I have a profile for sit-ups because of a back injury but the last time I did sit-ups I maxed mine and this is how I prepped for them.

FULL THROTTLE TILL YOU SEE GOD, THEN BRAKE
What do you mean I can't pass on 1 wheel, around a curve, doing 75 in a 40?
ďThis thing is like a dirty little slut, the harder I flog her, the more she begs for it.
post #9 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by customspeed View Post
prrrroooottitiiiiieeeennn!!!!!!
Yes protien! And theres more to pushups than than just doing pushups, isolate other muscles that help you do them. Go to the gym do some flat bench, tricep extensions, skull crushers, and work out your upper back and shoulders. Weight training will help but YOU STILL HAVE TO DO THE PUSHUPS WHILE WORKING OUT, if you do weight training w/o pushups your score will get worse. I was going from doing around 50 to busting out 93 on my last PT test.

Getting better at situps...the above advice will work.
post #10 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
Dude, I am kinda in the same boat, they jsut changed the AF reg, and I had to do 11 more push ups this year to max, I missed it by 5, that ended a string of 4 strait 100's, so I was a little pissed, but I am training hard and think I fugured it out. Concentrate on speed, the faster you do them the better off you will, be, dont take that pause at the top and dont lock your elbows, I do them every night before bed till I cant do them anymore, and am up to over 65 in just a couple weeks since I tested at 52. I also take a break out of the day and bust out 40 or so every couple hours. I think actually doing more push ups will be more benificial than weitghts, different exercises, etc. Are you by any chance tall and slender? Thats my problem ,I got really long arms and seems jsut the fact that I have such long arms and was trying to lock my arms in the up position was costing me time and energy. IF your in the AF, they are much more concerned with the down positon 90 degree bend than they are with the full up position anyway. Now I know better. Gonna take my test again, jsut so I can get my 100.
Only 57 to MAX? Damn I'm in the wrong branch.... My max in the army is 73

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in