Need Some Help Fellas!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Need Some Help Fellas!!!

I have an 07 Chevy Avalanche with 24 inch wheels on it. Wheels have been on the truck since 07 (when I bought it new and I never had any vibrations or problems). I was up in Missouri a few weeks ago (at Ft. Leonard Wood) and I hit a really nasty bump in the road and since then, the truck has a very violent shake/shudder going on when I get over 40-45 mph and it comes and goes. Now I have eliminated the aftermarket wheels as the problem (took those off and put the factory wheels and tires back on) and still got the same shudder/vibration. I also took the truck to a place that specializes in drive train repair and they pulled the drive shaft to check the U joints and they were all fine. Now I do have a set of aftermarket rotors on the front (slotted and cross drilled) that are probably warped and need replacing. Any ideas as to what could be going on i.e. wheel bearings, hub assembly, engine mounts etc.

DDM Tuning HID lights| Sportech Windscreen| ASV shorty levers| Driven D3 grips| Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap| LSL sliders| Woodcraft case covers| PCV with custom map| BMC race filter| secondaries removed| EK 525 red chain| Vortex rearsets| M4 Slayer exhaust| PSR chain adjusters| Speigler brake lines| custom front and rear seat| Pro bolt aluminum bolt kit| Hellrazor servo eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

ball joints or wheel bearing is my guess. It is hard to tell without checking it out for myself but if you can jack it up with the problem wheel in the air and hold the tire on the top and bottom and see if you can move it. Then if you have it on jack stands use the jack to put pressure on the lower control arm and then wiggle it again to see if it is the ball joint. Good luck

05 Titanium
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer View Post
ball joints or wheel bearing is my guess. It is hard to tell without checking it out for myself but if you can jack it up with the problem wheel in the air and hold the tire on the top and bottom and see if you can move it. Then if you have it on jack stands use the jack to put pressure on the lower control arm and then wiggle it again to see if it is the ball joint. Good luck
yeah man that's what I was thinking too...I just wanted some input from someone else on this...much appreciated

DDM Tuning HID lights| Sportech Windscreen| ASV shorty levers| Driven D3 grips| Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap| LSL sliders| Woodcraft case covers| PCV with custom map| BMC race filter| secondaries removed| EK 525 red chain| Vortex rearsets| M4 Slayer exhaust| PSR chain adjusters| Speigler brake lines| custom front and rear seat| Pro bolt aluminum bolt kit| Hellrazor servo eliminator
post #4 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No problem. Hope you can figure it out and get it fixed.

05 Titanium
post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Tie rods are a lot more common to go bad on those trucks. Were you able to verify that it is in the front end? Most times if a ball joint is bad you will here some clunking over bumps, or sometimes squealing if they are dry. But in general ball joint failure should not cause much of a shake, its an up and down movement (although not impossible) Where the tie rods, or rack having an issue can allow the tire to have movement from side to side, which you can feel through the steering.

From what you describe, the rotors should not be an issue, as hitting one pothole to cause the trouble should not have any effect on them, if they are warped you should feel some chatter during braking, particularly at high speeds.

What you describe sounds like a bent rim, maybe a damaged tire from the hit (broken belt). I know you said you put the stock tires back on, and no change, but are you sure the stockers are still in good condition and in balance?

I am not saying the above could not be an issue, but in my experience if you hit something hard enough to damage a ball joint, tie rod, or other mechanical item in the from end, you should surely have tire or wheel damage. Anyhow i dont know if any of this helps, but some food for thought. Oh and if you did hit something that hard, you may want to have your alignment re checked when you solve your problem. Last i checked 24's are pretty pricey tires, that $50 alignment can save you a lot of tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK1972 View Post
Tie rods are a lot more common to go bad on those trucks. Were you able to verify that it is in the front end? Most times if a ball joint is bad you will here some clunking over bumps, or sometimes squealing if they are dry. But in general ball joint failure should not cause much of a shake, its an up and down movement (although not impossible) Where the tie rods, or rack having an issue can allow the tire to have movement from side to side, which you can feel through the steering.

From what you describe, the rotors should not be an issue, as hitting one pothole to cause the trouble should not have any effect on them, if they are warped you should feel some chatter during braking, particularly at high speeds.

What you describe sounds like a bent rim, maybe a damaged tire from the hit (broken belt). I know you said you put the stock tires back on, and no change, but are you sure the stockers are still in good condition and in balance?

I am not saying the above could not be an issue, but in my experience if you hit something hard enough to damage a ball joint, tie rod, or other mechanical item in the from end, you should surely have tire or wheel damage. Anyhow i dont know if any of this helps, but some food for thought. Oh and if you did hit something that hard, you may want to have your alignment re checked when you solve your problem. Last i checked 24's are pretty pricey tires, that $50 alignment can save you a lot of tread.
well I did bend one of the wheels on the front left but it wasn't really bad...I had it straightened. The factory wheels that I put back on have been sitting inside my storage shed out of the sun and away from any moisture so I'm assuming they were still good. The funny thing is that I've drivent the truck back to Alabama from Missouri (which is 12 hours) and I don't have any abnormal tread wear on the aftermarket tires. I really don't know what to check next

post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Go to a tire/alignment shop. Have them check the alignment and let them know what problems you're having, most places do free inspections. If it's a steering or suspension problem they should be able you tell you where the problem is. If you're gonna keep the stockers on have them balanced and checked out while you're there too. If your are gonna put the 24's back on make sure you have them on when you get the alignment done. My guess would be a busted inner socket/tie-rod end. Those big 24's put a lot of stress on the steering components. Also if you're gonna run the 24's check and make sure they meet the load rating, and adjust your air pressures accordingly. I work at a tire shop and I see a lot of big rims with low pros that don't meet the vehicles requirements, or they are running too low of an air pressure. Just some friendly advice from someone who sees stuff like this on a daily basis.

"The OX"
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just a friendly suggestion to go along with Ox's comment. If you go in for an alignment, call ahead to make sure they can do it with the 24's on. There are still a lot of places out there that cant do it with such big wheels, they may need to put your stockers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK1972 View Post
Just a friendly suggestion to go along with Ox's comment. If you go in for an alignment, call ahead to make sure they can do it with the 24's on. There are still a lot of places out there that cant do it with such big wheels, they may need to put your stockers on.
I can't believe I forgot that one. My shop can do up to 26" but a lot can't go over 20".

"The OX"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in