need advice on a 2007 749 dark - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

need advice on a 2007 749 dark

hey everyone,

i was hoping i could get a few oppenions on the 06 749 dark ducati. i know its not a kaw, and dont get me wrong i love my 04 zx-10. however i am concidering turning the zx-10r into a trac bike and getting a 749 for my daily rider. So anyone who has owend a recent 749 kindly net me know what they are like.

also does any one know what the invoice on one is or at least around.

p.s i know that some will say buy the new zx-10 but i really dont like the way it looks, just never grew on me. and i would like to expand the stable to include a bike from another continent.

thanks for any advice you have.
the general.

Last edited by generalbukkake; 07-20-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If trackbike means roadracing then I would use the 749 for the track and use the 10 on the street. The 10 is faster on the track in the right hands, but for most of us the 749 is much easier to go quickly on.

Now if you mean dragracing, then yeah, get you a 749 for the street. I think you'll be disappointed in it on the street, though. A fast 600 will run with it or beat it and it will get uncomfortable quickly, I would think.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I would pick another bike unless you want to make the Duc your trackbike. Just my .02, though.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I rode a 748 a few years ago for a full day. They are fun bikes, easy to ga fast thru the twisties on, but man it was uncomfortable. No experience on a 749 though...Hope that helps.

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #4 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 06:33 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

PM Ara.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #5 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

my only opinions with a 749 was my friends bike, he had a yellow 749s for about 600 miles, he never liked it and due to the fact that it stalled constantly when coming to a stop, shop had it for 3 months, he finally said it was enough and bought a 04 factory, however when they fixed it, it was a fun bike to ride, it lacked the grunt of the 1000's coming out of corners, but its a 749. two ways to look at it, if it were me i would put the 749 on the track, however the zx might be cheaper to keep on the track, wrecks, maint etc.. so its a toss up

i rode a 749s at a ducati days ride, we were going at the usual ride pace at those events, i was in the back of the group, i had traded with a guy at the turn around point the 999s for the 749s, with a fuel light, (no wonder he traded) so as i'm driving down this highway its starts to bucks cough then brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and it shuts off, out of gas, nobody sees that i ran out of gas in there mirrors, they all dissapear in the distance, i coast right into a gas station and put 5 bucks in it to get me back to the dealer, now the fun part starts, i had my aprilia at the time and the 749 while down on some hp and torque, was a blast to ride, as long as i kept it around 10,000 rpm's it just was singing ripping through the expressway, i was zig zagging in and out of traffic, hit a small straight looked down i was doing about 130, i got back, nobody even noticed that i was missing for a while

but i thought it would make a nice track bike

making decals for the some of the fastest people on the planet
Josh Hayes | Melissa Paris | Josh Herrin | Jeff Agnes | Dane Westby | Anthony West |Taylor Knapp | Garrett Carter | Chaz Davies | Aaron Gobert | Clinton Seller | Santiago Villa | Corey Rech | Huntley Nash | Benny Solis | Payton Sassaman | M3 Roadracing | Josh Day | AF1 Racing | Van Blaylock | Don Dahl | Brandon Cretu | Cory West | Chris Filmore | Alex Welsh | Elena Myers | Martin Cardenas | Danny Eslick
post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

toughen your hide... damn those seats suck. Thad DUC's seat makes mine feel like a lazy-boy.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Former 999 owner. Great track bike. But very expensive to own esp if you ride alot- $1000 service every 6K miles. Plus, your bike will sit in your garage while you wait for some parts to arrive fr Italy as Ducati closed North American warehouse. I agree with earlier posts suggesting the 749 for track and ZX for street.

WSMC #644
post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I would not get a 749 for the street....I had an RC51 and it was very uncomfortable....Now imagine a Ducati with an even longer and lower reach to the bars and a much harder seat!

After 20 minutes you'll be so focused on how uncomfortable you are (aching neck, wrists, numb rear end) that you won't be able to enjoy the ride.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

"wait for some parts to arrive fr Italy as Ducati closed North American warehouse."

Why did duc do that for?. I rode with a guy witha 749 and it does handle well, but he said parts are not cheap and he does most of the wrenching to help beat the cost.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in