My last pysc. discussion - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
My last pysc. discussion

I thought that some of you had good answers and points in that last discussion that I posted. Here is the last one for the semester. I think that someone of you could have good arguements for these topics. I have already done this assignment but I was just seeing what you guys thought. By the way, I go a primary african university so this topic is not discriminating in anyway. I believe 40thstreetblack is his screen name and he will back me up on this. I just didn't want anyone to think that this was made up by some crazy white person or whatever.

a) With the alarming rise (the leading cause of death in African Americans from approximately age 24 to 45) of HIV / AIDS especially in the African American population, should all college students be required to get tested for HIV / AIDS (just as they are required to have immunizations) before being admitted to the University?

b) What role, if any, does different music themes (e.g., Pimps, Thugs, Gangstas, Bitches, Hoes, Niggas, etc.) and sexually explicit lyrical content, influence behavior in general, and sexually permissive behavior specifically? Is there a relationship between the increase in HIV / AIDS, as well as the increase in the prison population, to sexually explicit lyrical content and music themes?

NESBA #88

Madness Racing wishes he could handle the power of a GSXR

All my homies left this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
a.) No, I am not sure what good it would do to test. The danger there is that those with positive results would be ostresized. Who Knows how many people me may come into contact with on a day to day basis who might be carrying the virus unbeknowgnst to us. Still we go about our business.

b.) Setting the epidemic in Africa asside, because the reasons and culture there are so different than here, Yes our culture plays a part in it's spread. We imitate those we admire, many of us on this site wear a replica helmet of the rider that we like. Many people wear the athletic jearsey of a favorite player, or cop their personal style from the rich and famous. That being said, with the promotion of sex as it is in the media, I can hardly believe that those without strong role models at home could help but be influenced by what they see on TV. Sex does sell, and America's buying. How big is the contribution of all this to aids...probably very minute. Condoms are pushed pretty big in the media as well and this has got to at least help, but let's face it, gettin' busy just ain't as good with one on. Any way, it will be interesting to hear the replies on this one.My
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Grease
After reading later posts, I may change my mind or refine my opinions, but at first reading, here are my thoughts...

A) I don't think that they should be required to have and HIV/AIDS test. Who would pay for the test, the university? Books/tuition already cost enough and keep going up. I see this as yet another reason to raise these fees in order to recoup the costs of the tests. To me, the requiring of a test is an invasion of privacy of sorts. Now I think that the college should push for the volentary testing as responsible adults, but not make it required. I also don't think that it should be limited to the black students. HIV/AIDS doesn't care.

B) I think that music and pop culture does influence behavior, but I don't think it has as much influence if your social culture didn't allow it. I think, to some degree, appropriate upbringing, or the lack thereof, has a lot more to do with it, but in the end, it is the individual that makes the decision. However, that individual also has other outside influences such as peers. From my experience with latino gangs in South Phoenix, I can look back and say that I was in the gang and did things in order to belong. But, I also know that my mother taught me better than that. My daily life dealt with the gangs. If it were not for moving away from that environment, I might be in prison, or dead by now. So, IMO, there are many factors, music being the least. If the parents (both) are more involved in all aspects, kids are actually taught remorse, resposibility for one's actions, and accountability...it would go much further in controlling certain behaviors. You also could venture into the lack of an effective and timely penalties for crimes that result in the marked increase in prison populations. But now we are actually venturing off topic and could get into a larger discussion that will take on a life of its own.

Bikes: '88 EX250 (sold), '86 Nighthawk S (sold), '03 ZX7R (R.I.P.s), '07 ZX10R (sold)

I don't like repeat offenders; I like dead offenders.
My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole.

- Ted Nugent
Iím all for gun control, I just define it a little differently. If you can put 2 rounds into the same hole from 25 meters, thatís gun control!
- Jesse Ventura
God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time. - Stephen E. Ambrose
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
as far as the testing goes, i said no they shouldn't be required because the results would be used to discriminate between people who have something and who don't...they would not let them into the school than

NESBA #88

Madness Racing wishes he could handle the power of a GSXR

All my homies left this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in