My Bike Got Impounded Over Some BS - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10x2
My Bike Got Impounded Over Some BS

OK...I leave home at 6am on my way to work. My comute is 60 miles. I live in Brentwood Ca and for those of you familiar with HWY 4. Its backed up with traffic all the way to HWY 242 split. So I split traffic. Its legal here. I get on 680 north still traffic but its moving. Its about 4.5 miles to the toll plaza. I am behind a white Nissan Titan and a BMW. I was bringing up the rear. We were doing between 80 and 85. Once we got to the Benecia Bridge they pulled away from me and I slowed because the bike is unstable with the cross wind going over the bridge. I was doing 65 - 70 over the bridge and I get to the toll and two California Hwy patrols are right on my ass with the lights on and siren blairing. I pull over and one says over the loud speaker take helmet off and get off bike and comply. One ask how fast was you going? I said last glance I was doing 80 with the flow off traffic. He said I been trying to catch you since Pittsburgh (which is 10 miles back). You had to be doing 100 plus. I say no way with all this traffic. He flat out to me to shut up. Then he asked for liscense, ins, and registration.

I need some inputs. I gotta get my bike back today.
So to make a already long post short bike got impounded and I got a ticket for 100 plus and no California motorycle indorsement on liscense. He didnt clock me. (Can they estimate?) I sign the tickets and I ask when can I get my bike. He smiles and says if you are going over 100 bike or car is impounded for 30 days. It the state law. So plan on paying for towing and storage fees for 30 days. I called the tow company and its $200 for the tow and $70 a day for storage.

I got a indorsement on my Geogia drivers liscence but I didnt know you needed a motorcycle indorsement and Cali liscense to drive a bike in Cali.

So I am bikeless for 30 days. Has anyone heard about this BS law? I was not doing 100 plus. I am so pissed I didnt even go to work. I called wifey to come get me. She was pissed because she had to drive 30 miles and now she is late for work.

I gotta get my bike back.

- 90 Mustang Coupe - 578 hp Grocery Getter
- 06 ZX-10 no mods - I love it
- 10 F250 Crew Cab
- 08 F-450 Crew Cab

I HAD A HANDLE ON LIFE, BUT IT BROKE OFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thats going to be a pretty decent sized bill. I have no idea if you can do anything but it is total bs.
post #3 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn! About $2,300 man.
post #4 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
the storage fees are gonna be around $800. bucks and they wont let you pick up the bike before the 30 days unless you have a release from the police station..

Shorty's Performance
post #5 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Can he prove that you have lived in Cali for 30 days? Most places say you have 30 days to change your address and/or get a new license. I'm military so I dont get bothered by this crap. I have a FL license with endorsement, but live in TX... havent had any problems yet. This guy just sounds like he was being a dick.

I'd get a traffic lawyer. The savings on insurance over the next few years will be huge if the lawyer can get it thrown out. FIGHT IT!!!

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R
post #6 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Lawyer up dude, thats bullshit.
post #7 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

WHOA, that sucks, I am sorry to hear that, you might want to post this on http://www.hollywoodbikenight.com/ the owner of the site knows the laws REALLY WELL, even has a legal section you can browse through:

http://www.hollywoodbikenight.com/content.php?p=legal
post #8 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF
Lawyer up dude, thats bullshit.

This definitely calls for some legal representation.
post #9 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

get a lawyer for sure man, that sucks

When two men step into the ring, one and only one deserves to win. When you step into the ring, you gotta know you deserve to win. You gotta know destiny owes you victory ‘cos you trained harder than your opponent. You sparred harder. You ran farther
post #10 of 66 Old 10-20-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnessracing
the storage fees are gonna be around $800. bucks and they wont let you pick up the bike before the 30 days unless you have a release from the police station..
After 30 days I can get a release from the popo.

- 90 Mustang Coupe - 578 hp Grocery Getter
- 06 ZX-10 no mods - I love it
- 10 F250 Crew Cab
- 08 F-450 Crew Cab

I HAD A HANDLE ON LIFE, BUT IT BROKE OFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in