Moving to North Carolina - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Moving to North Carolina

So, my wife and I will be moving to North Carolina at the beginning of next year. We are going to be getting stationed at Camp Lejeune. I've looked all over the net for vehicle info for the state. I see that inspections are required, I was just wonder what the inspections entail? Also what are the motorcycle laws for the state: lane spitting, emissions, vehicle modifications, anything that we might come up against? Are there any track that we can ride at in the state, or do we have to go elsewhere for track days? I just want to figure out what I'm getting into. Thanks for any help of info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You won't have any problems if your vehicle is fairly new. They check for crack windshields, brake lights, horn, head lights, tires, brakes, turn signals, etc.. There is no emission tests that I know of because I haven't heard anyone complaining about it. lol

South Carolina used to have inspections but it stopped well over ten years ago. I used to have license to inspect vehicles here in SC long ago when I worked at a tire shop. It actually brought in good business sometimes. Slick tires wouldn't pass so we would sell them tires, brakes, bulbs etc...

I wouldn't worry about it bro... you'll love the mountains riding on your bike. Have a safe trip.

Last edited by mullinax95; 07-26-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I lived there for 12 yrs. Depending on what county determines if you have to have emissions checked. Otherwise, its just like what was said above. Here is the DMV website. http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/ I loved living there. I was stationed at Ft. Bragg.

Si vis pacem para bellum. Latin for: To wish for peace, prepare for war.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

On bikes the inspection is quite easy. For cars, about 50% of counties are safety and 50% are "emissions". The safety counties only look for normal safety stuff, belts, lights, other visual inspections. "Emissions" counties do all the same, but they also plug in the computer for obd-II vehicles and look for readiness codes to be set. All in all it's not too difficult. Closest road courses to Camp Lejeune are VIR (Danville, VA) and CMP (Kershaw, SC). There is a 1/4 mile drag strip in Jacksonville also, but they aren't very bike friendly IMO.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Blitzkrieg

Posting Frequency

for the inspections, you should be able to be exempt for being military. you will have to get extensions from your home state on your tags/license and stuff. but if you want to get them registered in nc, most been stated above. i would do whatever is cheaper, your home state, or in nc. east coast, roads not that great, west in the mountains...are great. and kershaw, or vir will be your closest tracks (road racing).

"There is always time to think about what you want to do,
Until it comes time to start doing what you were meant to do."

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.~unknown~

"The true test of a mans character is how he treats someone, from whom he has nothing to gain"

"It's the things that people don't know about themselves on the inside, that make them afraid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in