Motorcyclist convicted in FHP trooper's fatal crash - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Still here

Posting Frequency

Exclamation Motorcyclist convicted in FHP trooper's fatal crash

http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MIA9527/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A motorcyclist could face up to 60 years in prison after being convicted of racing a car, which led to the death of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper.

Donald Williams was convicted by a jury yesterday of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer.

According to reports, Williams was on his blue 1999 Suzuki while racing a Porsche on October second, 2004. Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out. Haywood lost control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams will be sentenced later.

----What about guy in porsche or vehic. maint crew at FHP station?
I'm not even sure they are supposed to engage in high speed pursuits, they have radios and aircraft for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MIA9527/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A motorcyclist could face up to 60 years in prison after being convicted of racing a car, which led to the death of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper.

Donald Williams was convicted by a jury yesterday of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer.

According to reports, Williams was on his blue 1999 Suzuki while racing a Porsche on October second, 2004. Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out. Haywood lost control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams will be sentenced later.

----What about guy in porsche or vehic. maint crew at FHP station?
I'm not even sure they are supposed to engage in high speed pursuits, they have radios and aircraft for that.
That sucks. Did this guy have a good lawyer?

Kenny Poppell
AMA Dragbike SuperSport #1000
2007 AMA Dragbike 1000SS National Champion
2007 1000SS 1/8th ET Record Holder 5.967
Best 1/[email protected] Best 1/[email protected] Stock Wheelbase
Special Thanks:

Performance Psycle
Richies Tires
http://www.XXXRacingFuel.com
http://www.SuperbikeSpecialties.com
http://www.Tsukigi.com
http://www.CycleConceptsRacing.com
http://www.myspace.com/ruthlessracing1
post #3 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Still here

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless Racing
That sucks. Did this guy have a good lawyer?
Doesn't sound like it. Alll I know is in the article, a friend sent it to me.
post #4 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

That's complete bullshit. I feel for the cop and his family but the rider shouldn't have been charged. I think that here in MD. we have a no persuit policy on bikes. It kinda of makes you think twice about running though.

The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

"sometimes in order to truly live life you must risk it."

You hit the lights, I hit the gas...

THERE ARE ONLY THREE SPEEDS, FAST, VERY FAST, AND OH SHIT!
post #5 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 02:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Why shouldnt the rider be charged? His actions (and the Porsche drivers too) resulted in the LEO's death. Here's a TRUE story for ya. A few years ago a LEO was in a FOOT pursuit of a suspect. they ran across a bridge (over the Ohio river from Ky to Oh) The chase was on the roadway of the bridge, the suspect jumped over a rail from the road way to the sidewalk. There was about a 3 foot gap between the roadway and sidewalk. The Leo tripped, or slipped no one really knows... he didnt make the jump and fell about 60 feet to the cold dark Ohio river. He died. The suspect was charged and convicted in the death of the LEO.

Look at it like this. What happens if the guy in thePorsche had ran into an inoccent by-standard and killed them. Should they be charged. Yes they both would be charged, and this is no different. There silly street racing action resulted in th death of another person. But for the fact that these two bone heads were racing, the LEO never would have to go in a high speed pursuit. Their actions dictated the LEO's actions. They both should rot in jail.

BK
05-ZX10R
2K ZX-7R
01' ZX-6R<-- Wifes
post #6 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 02:18 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

"Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out"...

I too feel for the family, but it seams this is a hazard of the job. I guess I could argue it both ways but 60 years just seams an excessive amount of blaim to place on the motorcyclist (grated the quote was "up to"). If the motorcyclist had directly crashed into the trooper's car I may feel differently, but this was basically a mechanical failure that caused the crash. If the chase wouldn't have occurred the failure could have happened on the way to the cofee shop (no insult intended).

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #7 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I didn't read the whole article and read nothing about the car driver being convicted of anything on this case. I understand and respect your opinion but I posted mine. However if I was related to the officer I might feel differently or if I was a LEO myself. I think the rider is responsible for his actions and the ripples that they caused but I do think that 60 years is a little steep. I don't mean to sound insensitive so if I come across that way I apoligize. Again I feel for the cop's family but I also understand that the rider more than likley intended no harm to the officer and therefore should not be held to the same punishment that a person who pulls a gun and shoots a leo.

The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

"sometimes in order to truly live life you must risk it."

You hit the lights, I hit the gas...

THERE ARE ONLY THREE SPEEDS, FAST, VERY FAST, AND OH SHIT!
post #8 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Chads10R Send a message via Yahoo to Chads10R
why not blame Sportbike riders for Saddam invading Kuwait!

"Dum Spiro Spero"
(While I breath, I hope)
www.citadel.edu

2004 Black ZX-10R

"An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
post #9 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah Maze I understand what you are saying. Keep in mind that the Max Sentence more often than not is not applied. Typically what happens (first time offenders) get 5-10 years in prison. Chance of parole after 5 Years. He'll be out on Parole in 5-6 years, IF he spends that much time behind bars.
Chads 10R I dont know if that comment was all jokes or what. But come on. street racing is stupid and dangerous to everyone on the road. Cops, included in that. This is no different than those two guys racing in Orlando a few years ago. The one guy crashes into an innocent bystander. Thing is, that innocent just happen to be his MOTHER. He killed her. He was charged with Veh. Manslaughter too.

BK
05-ZX10R
2K ZX-7R
01' ZX-6R<-- Wifes
post #10 of 121 Old 10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

http://pursuitwatch.org/pursuit_poli...way_Patrol.pdf
don't know if the policy or law has changed, but this was obviously not a crime of violence. you could say the patrolman was breaking the law (or policy) engaging in his pursuit of a rush. unfortunately, due to shoddy maintenance (if i remember correctly when this happened it was said that the camaro he was driving was in need of new tires) he lost his life. not the motorcyclists fault. he probably had a court appointed attorney hack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in