The most dangerous thing in your house - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

The most dangerous thing in your house

unless you own an industral punch press or unlicensed liner accelerator there is a booby trap just waiting to "spring" in your house.

go out in your garage and look above your garage door... there are two coiled springs that act as counterweights for your garage door... quiet, silent but loaded with 200 to 400 pounds of wup azz.

came home to a garage door that wouldn't open, mind you I use my garage door to get in the house, don't even have a key to the front door on my ring. Found that one of the recoil springs had snapped (glad I wasn't around for that). Ok, fine, zip out to "home cheapo"... what, no garage springs? Least the guy at Manards was 1. informative enough to tell me they don't carry them because of the liability, and 2. nice enough to tell me that Farm and Fleet does carry them...

first step is to take the tension off the remaining spring I've jumped into a turn with the back wheel dancing and the front squealing... and I've never been more afraid then twisting on that last set screw.

pulled it apart, old and busted off, new hotness on. Kept ... most of my skin on my fingers and blood in my body... and tensioned the springs until the door weighed only 10 pound or so... The garage door opener lifts it just fine now...

Mine has a "danger orange" tag on it telling you that death will occure if you look at it cross ways... but those wern't required until 2000, so if your house is older... It looks quite and harmless... but it's not

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
I do most of the stuff around the house myself but that one was a no-no for me. I called the man. Ive heard too many horror stories.

post #3 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I didn't have a problem fixing them at my house, just had to be carefull like everything in life and use common sense.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

well it catches most people by suprise, mostly because they don't think their garage door weighes that much (because it's always been assisted by those springs) and it just sits there, it's not hot or making alot of noise.

I've done one on a single garage door and this is my first double car garage... I'd say the double is more dangerous because on the single, when it broke... there wasn't any more energy in the system...

with the double... there is the second spring and it's still under tension. Take anything apart with that still twisting the bar... and something bad is going to happen.

if it doesn't bust you in the face or twist off a finger... it will certainly knock you off the ladder and you can crack your skull or snap a leg...

just sayin, this is one to take two or three looks at, before you start wrenching.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Yeah those things are scary to mess with. We used to have to fix the overhead doors at my old work and when those things pop you wanna e somewhere else.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

A guy I worked with had the old style one solid piece door that swings up and out instead of the multi panel. Well that style door the spring runs down to floor. One day he was done working in garage so shut door and while walking by floor to walk out the spring let go. Knocked him out cold. He was alone so when he woke up had no clue what happened but one he was bleeding and in pain. A fractured creek bone and a few stitches and was good but quickly replaced doors with a different style for safety of his kids.

Sent from HTC incredible with love!

Last edited by cyclepuck; 08-23-2012 at 08:42 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

lol, funny coincidence this thread popped up. I just watched a youtube tutorial last weekend and replaced one of my springs that broke. Went pretty smooth.

Almost as sketchy as when I was replacing some springs and drop spindles on my buddies blazer. We didn't have a spring compressor and that fucker popped out hella fast flying past both of us hitting the garage wall. Was super lucky it didn't hit us. Serious injury or death can occur when a coil spring suddenly unleashes tension.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Gone Ridin'

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to twidget Send a message via MSN to twidget Send a message via Yahoo to twidget
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
i do most of the stuff around the house myself but that one was a no-no for me. I called the man. Ive heard too many horror stories.

: Twidget
post #9 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I do most of the stuff around the house myself but that one was a no-no for me. I called the man. Ive heard too many horror stories.
I can do most stuff around the house electrical ,plumbing, fence etc but those springs best to leave to the ones that do it often(and even they slip up ) Lucky for me the last time my spring broke a family member that use to do that came over and changed them out for me.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

+1000.... Warned my dad about this buy he tried anyway, watched as a screwdriver flew past his head and halfway through a wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in