Mesh or Leather - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mesh or Leather

I am thinking about buying a new jacket and was wondering what you all thought about mesh or leather. I am in NC and it's pretty hot right now so I am debating on buying a leather jacket. I think the leather will last longer and will provide better protection in case of a crash. But on the flip side the mesh has some armour and is cooler.

I am looking at this on New Enough
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_990_jacket_page.htm

Or one of these
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_...acket_page.htm

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_ufo_jacket_page.htm

Let me know what your opinions are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i know it is hot but id go with the leather jacket it will save you ass if you go down, or at least better than a mesh jacket. Mesh jackets are better than nothing but do not offer much protection.

JMO

here is a pic of mine i paid about $230.00 for it new from ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1165.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	17149  

Last edited by Jamie26; 07-11-2006 at 04:01 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I ride primarily with (perforated) leather...even in Florida. Joe Rocket perforated Sonic jacket or the Alter Ego are two of the most comfortable from what I've tried so far. I've also noticed that the leather doesn't retain the heat as much as the ballistic jackets. But, to each his own.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

http://www.newenough.com/teknic_chic...acket_page.htm
This is the one I just bought in Green of course and I love it.
Perf. works pretty good in the Alabama heat rode Saturday was in the mid 90's was not to bad unless caught in traffic.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Leather is always going to offer more protection. Something is better than nothing. I always wear full leather gear now, Pants, Jacket and boots (Jeans on rare occasions) I live in Vegas so it gets pretty hot here. My moto is if its too hot for full gear its too hot to ride.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Forget the mesh. Like others mentioned, it's better than nothing. But not much. I think sweating a little and taking a shower when I get home is much better than having numerous layers of skin burnt off of my body by the asphalt. But that's just me, though.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Well I have the Icon Timax not the mesh but still the fabric type jacket. If you are just cruising around town and not showing out on some mountain curves, I think its just fine. I wouldn't wear it on the Dragon or a trackday but for riding to th local bike night or to the store, I believe it offers enough protection for speed below 55 mph. For high speed rding such as long interstate riding or high speed cornering then get the leather. JMHO

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to BigDally
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman39
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_chic...acket_page.htm
This is the one I just bought in Green of course and I love it.
Perf. works pretty good in the Alabama heat rode Saturday was in the mid 90's was not to bad unless caught in traffic.
Ditto on the Chicane jacket (I got the green one). I went down with mesh, and still suffered some rash (through the mesh). I am now going to wear perf leather in the summer, and full leather in the winter. Just my .02.

D

Big Dally
post #9 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

my vote is for leather. not only does it look cooler (in my humble opinion), but it definitely protects way better than mesh. should last longer too, if well maintained. there are some leather jackets out there than come in layers with a lighter layer on the outside for summer riding (still the protection, but minus the heat) and a lower layer for the cooler parts of the season.

I know who I am. No one else knows who I am. If I was a giraffe, and someone said I was a snake, I'd think, no, actually I'm a giraffe. ~Richard Gere
post #10 of 30 Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Check out Dainese It uses special tek in order to keep you cool and it will save your ass. I have this jacket and pants and ride 8 hours at a time in 98 F Florida heat all the time. They are the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in