loud pipes! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

loud pipes!

Why do a lot of people who ride hate loud exhaust? For me the louder and deeper the better. This morning driving in to work this guy was riding next to me with stock exhaust, I could not hear him at all, then the stupid ass is riding on my blind spot, now I cant see him or hear him, I knew he was there because I always look out for bikes on the road, but a lot of people out there do not. My whole point is I rather people get annoyed by my loud pipe than not hear me and run me over, not riding right next to vehicles helps also. I love the sound of a deep and loud exhaust but I think it is also safer to ride with a loud exhaust. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

FWIW, I've seen drivers get pissed at bikers for the loud exhaust and move over on them. As for the guy riding in your blind spot, he's stupid or a new rider. Never, never, never ride in a vehicles blind spot, you WILL get run over!

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #3 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

well, my rule is never stay next to any vehicle, always pass em quick and stay ahead or behind, this way they cant run in to you or try?
post #4 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1000
well, my rule is never stay next to any vehicle, always pass em quick and stay ahead or behind, this way they cant run in to you or try?

Smart man. Usually better to stay behind if they are at all eratic. Some get ticked if you go past at any rate of speed other that slightly above their velocity. I guess they take it as a race invite or you're dissin them. Don't know, I've seen people get passed and then speed up and tailgate the bike. Crazy. One trick a good friend taught me was, when you go to pass someone, look at the front wheel, you'll see it turn slightly before the car moves. Gives you a split second more time to react.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to kahoo5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100
Smart man. Usually better to stay behind if they are at all eratic. Some get ticked if you go past at any rate of speed other that slightly above their velocity. I guess they take it as a race invite or you're dissin them. Don't know, I've seen people get passed and then speed up and tailgate the bike. Crazy. One trick a good friend taught me was, when you go to pass someone, look at the front wheel, you'll see it turn slightly before the car moves. Gives you a split second more time to react.

I know one person that put an airhorn on the bike so people would hear that, since the stock horns usually wont get attention unless the windows are open. It was a definite attention getter then. Also had a loud pipe.

I took a 3600 mile trip with a friend on my old bike, one time he got cut off by a car that didnt see him, he pulled up beside the car (the window was open) and gave a nice pull on the trottle. Luckily the lady wasnt older she would have had a heart attack. I guess she got the message then, but thank god they didnt turn into him. I am not recommending this to anyone.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space

--- Anon
post #6 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Loud pipe get old after a few miles. If you ride your bike a few thousand miles a year, mostly down to bike night to drink and chat with friends, loud pipes are fine. They don't save live or Harley riders would live forever. Try listening to them for sixteen hours straight.

But I like loud pipes. When you are misbehavin' it draws the poo poo's attention. It is amazing what you can get by with when you are stealthy and if you are riding in a pack, poo poo will go for the one with the loud pipes every time.

Last edited by swjohnsey; 09-27-2005 at 09:29 AM.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey
Loud pipe get old after a few miles. If you ride your bike a few thousand miles a year, mostly down to bike night to drink and chat with friends, loud pipes are fine. They don't save live or Harley riders would live forever. Try listening to them for sixteen hours straight.

But I like loud pipes. When you are misbehavin' it draws the poo poo's attention. It is amazing what you can get by with when you are stealthy and if you are riding in a pack, poo poo will go for the one with the loud pipes every time.

all kinds of truths in this statement.
I have a slip-on but still have the exhaust valve so it rips pretty good when I'm on it but is fairly quiet shooting through town.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #8 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

as long as your pipes aren't louder then mine i don't mind...
post #9 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to kahoo5
Well Byebyebusa got the EVO 2 so he could be louder than me with the EVO 1

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space

--- Anon
post #10 of 42 Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey

yes it does draw attention to cops, i try to do hard riding where there are no cops- i live close to country roads which are deserted so is cool, i disagree that they dont save lives, a few years ago a guy i know got ran into as he was passing a car, the lady didnt see him or heard him, if they hear your bike, even if they dont see you, the drivers will look for you. it could have saved my friend from an accident if he had a louder pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in