Loss of a friend - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Loss of a friend

So I just lost a friend to a motorcycle crash day before yesterday. This really hit me hard and it's making me think about giving up riding. This is so hard because I love riding and I know my friend would never want me to give this up because of what happened to him. He was an incredible rider and this makes me think how easily you can lose your life with one wrong move. The last thing I want to do is leave my wife and 2 kids here alone. Has anyone else had these feelings after losing a friend to a crash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sure, but if it would have been in a car would you stop driving cars? Sorry to hear.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I think what bothers me about it is had he been in a car in the same type of crash he would probably still be alive. I understand what you're saying though, I guess it just makes me think how dangerous riding can be. I almost feel selfish for doing it when I have a family to think of. Of course it doesn't help that one of my riding buddies is gone now. Everytime I would do something to the bike or something related to riding he would be that first person I would be talking to about it. It sucks knowing he's not there to bullshit with anymore or bounce ideas off of. He was the one I did my first track day with. I guess I just feel like something's missing when it comes to riding now.
post #4 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Everything you do is a risk and everyday you cheat death somehow, I had a friend that could ride anything with two wheels blindfolded and he died at a red light. Shit happens and when it's your time it's your time, no point in trying to control it. This is just my opinion though. Sorry to hear about your friend

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #5 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

my condolences... i had a wife and two kids when i started riding street full time.. and i sure as hell did research on crash statistics to give my self the best fighting chance i could... this is always so sad to hear and i can't imagine what thoughts must be rolling through your head right now... if anything, i think you should keep riding and do it in his memory... wear your helmet, keep the rubber side down, and drive defensively... i know this advice sounds kinda shallow, but i'm just not sure what else to tell you... i do think however, that we can't let circumstances rule our lives or let them define who we are... i just hope that it wasn't his fault that this happened... i know that that's not the point... but i would feel even worse about this if he died doing 130 on a highway wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top... again, i'm so so sorry to hear this about someone who was close to you... we're all here for you if you need to talk, and of course, if you do decide to hang up your helmet for good, we'll support you in that decision as well...
post #6 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Sorry about your friend Brian. Feel for his family too. We do engage in a very dangerous activity, I thought about quitting riding too when I was nearly killed in a wreck. I wouldn't blame you one bit for thinking of family first. May your friend RIP.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Sorry to hear.

But ask yourself what your friend would do if it would have been you. Do you think he would stop riding or would he think of you everytime he did a wheelie.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #8 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
No one can make that decision for you. You have to come to terms with what happened and take some time to think about you and your life and what you wnt. You need to mourn your friend during that time also. The accident is so fresh in your mind right now, it's consuming and overwhelming you.

We all take risks in life. Some greater than others. Every time we swing a leg over the bike and turn the key, we take a risk. Every time we cross a crowded street, get on a plane, swim in the ocean, or anything else, we take a risk. Only you will know what level of risk your comfortable with going forward. But with risk, comes reward. If we didn't love it and appreciate the risks involved, we wouldn't do it. I think your friend recognized that.

One of two things will happen now. You'll either become a better, more responsible rider because of this, or you'll quit doing it. Only you will know what's right for YOU. And in time, you'll understand and figure the answer out.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Truly sad. Hope you find peace soon. RIP

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 23 Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice. I think I'm going to park the bike for awhile and see how I feel about this after some time goes by. He wasn't being stupid and he always wore gear. Some of the details on how this happened aren't clear. I'm hoping we find more out soon.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I am going to a funeral of my buddy that just got killed in a bike crash, 2 friends quit riding because of it, many more learned from it, that's life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in