Looking for some TV help.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Looking for some TV help....

Ok guys...I won a contest and my boss is getting me a Plasma or (?) HDTV...

But I went shopping and I am really confused...

Currently I have a 32" Zenith HDTV and watch analog cable and DVD's on it...yeah, the DVD's are really clear...

I am thinking about ordering Direct TV which will certainly be clearer...

I went to Price Club and the 37" LCD TV was clearer (1366 X 768) than the 42" Plasma (1024 vs 768)..They were both at $1799 which was our budget...

They were both Phillips units and very flat...

Then went to the local store who had a 42" plasma LG EDTV which seemed clearer than anything I was at Price club...

He said his EDTV will have the same clarity of my Zenith tube HDTV...but it wasn't flat like the Phillips units....

Then I started reading comparisons of HDTV vs. EDTV and got totally confused...seems that EDTV isn't as good as HDTV but normal analog programming looks better on it?...

Can anybody clear this up for me?

Nobody in any of the stores out here has a clue...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well I've heard that there are support groups for this kind of thing... if you do dress up in womens clothing, for the love of god, please shave your legs and underarms... Oooops, wrong kind of TV... my bad.

'05 ZX10R Titanium
'96 Dodge Viper
'09 Maxima SL
'01 Xterra
'96 Rottweiler RIP Zeus
'98 Rottweiler
'08 Cane Corso
post #3 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I dont know anything about edtv but as far as direct tv goes I think they dont come close to dishnetworks packages. with dish you can get a second reciever with nothing but hdtv channels.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.ga.rider
I dont know anything about edtv but as far as direct tv goes I think they dont come close to dishnetworks packages. with dish you can get a second reciever with nothing but hdtv channels.
4 receivers for $50 a month...but I'll compare them both...

post #5 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

EDTV or enhanced definition TV is defined as 480P and up but not including 720P. 480 P means 480 lines of resolution and P means progressive. Progressive scan means all the lines are displayed at once vice I or interlaced which means every other line is displayed at a given time. HDTV or high definition TV is defined as any resolution 720P and up.

All flat panels are not created equal. The addage of you get what you pay for certainly applies here. LCD panels have gotten better with their response times which can sometimes result in ghosting problems. Plasmas do not have this issue. Contrast ratios and black levels are a concern with both panels but plasmas for the most part edge out LCDs in this regard. Viewing angle is also an issue with LCDs. Burn in is a problem with plasmas although there are techniques that many manufacturers employ to minimize this problem. LCDs for the most part don't suffer from burn in but I've seen examples where LCDs have had burn in problems.

So what's best? Well it depends. In the size you're looking at, go for the best picture at the price point you are shopping at. Vizio makes great bang for the buck plasmas. Panasonic is also another brand of plasmas that produce a great picture with one of if not the best black levels on the market. LCD wise....the Sharp Aquious panels seem to be the standard there. When you get at the 42" and up size screen, plasmas are the best cost alternative. LCDs above 37" pretty much cost an arm and a leg. And I don't think LCDs have come out in the 50" size yet. Plasmas are now shipping with screen sizes as high as 60".

Me personally, I got a plasma screen. It's a Pioneer Elite Pro1010-HD. It's a 50" panel. I wanted the best overall picture at pretty much what money can buy. The new Pioneer panels are substantially less than what I paid for this unit 2 years ago. Still don't regret the purchase though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

With second reciever I meant a voom high definition satelite. you would have two dishes in your yard and one would be nothing but high def channels. Thats pretty cool that you won such a nice tv
post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You have to be careful when shopping in stores because alot of what you see depends on the signal the TVs are getting. Also, alot depends on how the settings are adjusted on the TV. Best idea, I think, is to bring a good DVD that you are familiar with to the store and see if they will let you play it and mess with the settings. Obviously, box stores may not be as receptive to that idea as TV/appliance centers. I did alot of internet research before I bought mine. CNET.com isn't a bad start. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, you have to becareful about doing in store comparisons. All TVs are shipped from the factory with retina burning settings. They do this as they know most retailers won't bother to get the TVs properly calibrated. Not even using a DVD like Avia let alone spending the time to get the screens ISF calibrated.

www.avsforum.com is probably the premier web forum on all things A/V.

Edited to add that the reason why manufacturers want to have retina burning settings is because they want their TVs to pop more than the competitions. In a store setting where you have a bizzilion screens in front of you, buyers will probably gravitate to the screen that pops out to them more which doesn't mean the screen in question has the best most accurate picture.

Last edited by ZX10 Guy; 06-11-2006 at 09:04 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 09:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Get HD not ED, and if you buy it for CostCo you get a free warranty. The new TV are having a few problems, mine already had a $1900 part go bad (think god for warranty) and a friend of mine bought an RCA (don't do it!) and is on his sixth one in 9 months.

'05 ZX-10R
'09 Streetglide
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

stick with the name brands, sony, samsung, panasonic etc. get a true hdtv, some may have a built in tuner, 99% of the time its not even necessary b/c when you get digital cable or satellite its already in their box they give you. the higher the numbers as in resolution the clearer and sharper the pic. everything you see at the store is on a max setting and not optimally tuned for true pic so when you take it home your gonna have to adjust the pic quality, invest in a setup dvd, i have avia, cost $50 back in the day. also, i'd get a nice surge protector/power conditioner to filter out electircal noise and power spikes for better picture quality and longer tv life.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in