Looking to buy a Dirt bike - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Looking to buy a Dirt bike

Hey guys,I am currently in the process of finding a dirt bike (probably a 450 due to my size)Ive never ridden one and really have no knowledge on them other than watching the occational super/arenacross so I am curious if there is anything imparticular I should be looking for or certain questions I should be asking. Any info would be greatly appreciated.Obviously Im gonna try and go green

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What kind of riding are you gonna do?
There are mx bikes, trail bikes, off-road bikes, and dual sport bikes.
Picking the right one for what you intend on doing with it is key.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

just guessing though, since you've never ridden you should steer clear of the full on motocross bikes and get an off-road bike. Light makes right off-roada KX450X might work for you depending on where you ride.

Going through life with blinders on and lovin' it.
post #4 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to ncangzx10
i got what you need. 2004 Kawasaki kx250f. fully redone suspension by total control performance.(set for 200 lb rider). renthal 1 1/8 fatbars with arc folding levers, white brothers full titanium exhaust, twin air power up kit with back fire screen eliminator. full 05 valve train and degree key, michelin starcross s-2 tires and sunstar 50 tooth rear sproket. it was my last race bike that got used one season . pm me for details if your interested.

:deathmeta BRUTAL :deathmeta
post #5 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yea dude, stay away from the full-on mx'ers. its overkill unless you like jumping it and ripping full bore all the time. i'm currently in the market for a wr450. its basically the yz450f, but more trail-oriented. different flywheel weights so it has more low-end power, i believe they have different cams too. anyways, i rode one back to back with an rmz450, and while the rmz was a more "badass" bike, the wr was everything i could want/need with the addition of electric start!! dont know about you, but when i first started riding dirt i HATED kick starting a bike. just my thoughts, good luck dude.

oh, and as is the case with most toys like this, maintenance is the key to longevity. ask if the bike gets serviced after every ride, or every couple of rides. oil changes are hugely important to a 4-stroker.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

every 15 hours.. valve adjustment ever 72 hours. or at least on kx-f's

post #7 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncangzx10 View Post
i got what you need. 2004 Kawasaki kx250f. fully redone suspension by total control performance.(set for 200 lb rider). renthal 1 1/8 fatbars with arc folding levers, white brothers full titanium exhaust, twin air power up kit with back fire screen eliminator. full 05 valve train and degree key, michelin starcross s-2 tires and sunstar 50 tooth rear sproket. it was my last race bike that got used one season . pm me for details if your interested.
250f's are horrible trail bikes. They don't develope any power down low, which is where a trail bike tends to be ridden.
KLX450 is a really good bike. Electric start with a kick-start backup, two odo's, and a speedo, and as opposed to the Honda and Yamaha's, the KLX comes un-restricted right out of the box. No needing to cut the throttle stop, cut the grey wire, un-clog the intake, or switch to "YZ" timing. The bike's ready to ride, right out of the crate.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Kawasaki View Post
250f's are horrible trail bikes. They don't develope any power down low, which is where a trail bike tends to be ridden.
KLX450 is a really good bike. Electric start with a kick-start backup, two odo's, and a speedo, and as opposed to the Honda and Yamaha's, the KLX comes un-restricted right out of the box. No needing to cut the throttle stop, cut the grey wire, un-clog the intake, or switch to "YZ" timing. The bike's ready to ride, right out of the crate.

KLX 450 That's as right as it gets +++++++++++++
post #9 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

ill agree that its not a trial bike. mine is deff. not. But Flty1 never said anything about trail ridding. I ran 4 hair scrambles on this bike in the 125B class and placed top five in 3 of the events. its all about the rider man, i prefure the 250 over the 450 just because i like the strong mid range, and i actually like to use more then 2nd gear. also there is not bike that comes stock completely unrestricted. im pretty shure that bike has the backfire screen in the intake box. while the kxf is a VERY good all around bike its still all depends on who is ridding it.

post #10 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
klx 110 sure are fun

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in