Lets discuss:Why is MX so much more popular than street. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Lets discuss:Why is MX so much more popular than street.

This topic really got me thinking the other day. I am wondering if this varies due to where we live but here MX is HUGE compared to street. I am from Canada and I am curious if it is the same in the states/europe etc.

Let me elaborate:I have friends that compete in MX and there are hundreds of events every season and a few of them have so many sponsors it is rediculas. They get everything for free basically as long as they are a good embassador of for say: Rockstar energy or Kawasaki etc. Here in Canada there is only ONE sanctioned event for Bike drags/Circuit etc.

I competed in the one near me 3 weeks or so...there was alot of bikes mind you but it doesnt even compare to the hundreds competing MX I see. There were VERY FEW sponsors at the bike drags compared to MX, they pretty much are hastling you to get them to ride for you if your decently good that is.

My buddies Nationals have also been aired on Cable TV and such and I have seen absolutely nothing local for our Bike drag/Circuit "Nationals" I guess we could call it even with the small market. My buddy placed 10th overall few months ago at the Monster Nationals (1st big event for him) and got many offers for sponsorship, I placed 4th in my street class (29 riders) and I got nothing.

Im not complaining I just wish our sport was as big, It would be nice to have someone else paying for my broken shit rather than out of my own pocket all the time. So guys tell me generally why you think MX swallows the riding community and us street guys who like to go FAST get a fraction of the events/support from large companys

09 Lime 10R "Hulk"-Racefit Growler, PC5 and tuned, K&N race,-1 +2. bunch of cosmetic stuff too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

One possible reason - Unlike drags, MX is also for kids (from kids to adults), and it's a good market for Rockstar & other energy drinks. More payola!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

obviously here in southern CA MX is huge. id say where im at its about 50/50. I have always done both, but since selling my dirt bike i stick to the street. there are way more tracks around here for MX and they are really cheap to ride on, not to mention the dessert is huge out here.

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #4 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
I think mainly because it's cheaper to get into, you can ride MX in ALOT more places than street, it's more "famliy oriented" for alot of people......good question though. i started out on dirtbikes, never raced or anything like that but at age 10 had my first CR80 and it's been 2 wheels of some sort every since. i also think that alot of parents think it's safer for them and/or their children to ride MX as apposed to streetbikes. you can go almost anywhere and you'll see some or alot of people out on motocross bikes, in a field,local track,wherever....just seems like it's easier to get started on MX bikes maybe? and now with all the freestyle guys making it big....it's opened up alot of doors to people that might not be able to race and be competitive or even afford it. a dirttrack can be made anywhere there's ahhhhhhh dirt and fairly simple and straightforward in doing it, cost little to nothing for the average person who has a little land to get a backhow and tractor to make a track...BUT a racetrack for street bikes.......that's a while other can of worms and you're talking about a buttload of money just to even think about getting one started. sorry if i'm just rambling but of course it makes sense to me.

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

Last edited by TMY10ER; 07-25-2010 at 12:37 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Used dirtbike and gear $2000. Used trackbike, gear, and other costs to hit a track on a routine basis........well i dunno but its a hell of a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

cost factor
post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Dirtbikes are fun as shit too.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
cheaper.

Live it before its too late.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I suppose price is the most obvious advantage it has. And what TMY stated it is alot easier to set up tracks and bring alot of people in.

09 Lime 10R "Hulk"-Racefit Growler, PC5 and tuned, K&N race,-1 +2. bunch of cosmetic stuff too.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Not sure what part of Canada you live but here we can only ride street for probably 5 months of the year, moto can be raced indoors at stadiums year round. I also agree its cheaper and kids can get into it easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in