leather or alcantara - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

leather or alcantara

I bought 95 Nissan 240sx while ago that was a purpose built drag car. I have installed real seats, stereo, and more street friendly gears now I have to make it safe to drive. The guy that built it used an ebay steering wheel. It is a steaming POS. The plastic covers fell off, the leather is coming unstitched, and the foam is crumbling on my legs. I don't drive it much now because of this and a few other nagging reasons (no fan shroud makes it run hot unless under 40 degrees). I decide on a Momo steering wheel. It comes in both leather or alcantara as the title states. Does anybody here have any experience with alcantara? I like the idea of a suede like material on the wheel but don't want to drop 180 bucks on a steering will that is going to turn to crap in just a short while.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Well if your trying to make it safe, put a steering wheel with an airbag. But if your choosing between leather and alcantara, the alcantara probably wont be as hot in the summer, but the leathers looks would probably last longer.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The car has been gutted there is no way I am going to install an air bag system is it. I'm not that big a fan of air bags anyway. I have 4 point harness. The front bar of the halo in the roll cage will kill me if I get in a "good wreck" anyway.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
I think I would do the alcantara.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I think I would do the alcantara.
...plus it just sounds "sexy"!!!

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I wouldn't think it would wear that fast. High end cars have it as a staple of the interior. Ferrari's, Lambos, even Audi. The new cobra has alcantara inserts in the seats. It only cost $100 a yard!!

post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have alcantara in the interior of my CLK55, looks and feels awesome, BUT it's also on my steering wheel. It has worn down quite a bit, a lot faster than leather, let me see if I can get some pics of it.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Pics of Alcantara

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	136045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	136046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	136047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	136048  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

seals the deal for me

for leather

2004 ZX10r Black with Carbon Termignoni slip on and more mods to come
2005 Suzuki Boulavard (to many mods to list) Sold
2005 Kawasaki ZZR600 Sold
2001 Suz9ki DRZ400s to SuMo conversion Raced with the OSB (Oklahoma Super Bikers) #120 Sponsored by Quiznos of Yukon and Advanced Signs of Edmond Sold:headshake
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

rep sent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in