Learning standards based on race - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Learning standards based on race

"Florida’s State Board of Education recently passed a set of controversial reading and math standards for students based entirely upon race.

Under the new guidelines, the schools are aiming to achieve reading proficiency levels of 90 percent for Asian students, 88 percent for white students, 81 percent for Latino students and 74 percent for Black students by 2018."

http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...ing-goals.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming their %'s are based off statistics for each race? So improvements based on race seem an ok way to do business, if each race needs improving? Kind of strange, but still a positive way to move forward.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think there shouldn't be standards like that
post #4 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

To divide up education standards by race is basicly racist policy. But stereotypes are created by common occurances. If a particular group of people tend to stress the importance of education over another, is it fair to the kids that get no encouragement at home to be failed or held back a grade. Should the schools lower the levels across the board? So the unmotivated kids that will do just good enough to pass are shooting for 74% instead of 80's (honestly they won't set the standard that everybody has to keep up with the asians). Then you are setting the bar to low for kids that are equipted to do better and are only pushed not fail at home.

My friend is a Jr. High school teacher in one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. He says it is nearly impossible to teach the kids anything when they brag about how their "Pops" just made assistant manager at Mcdonald's. If most of the kids are viewing a career as assistant manager at a fast food chain, they aren't aiming high. How much do you think they really care about education. All they have to do is count change and read enough to understand a menu. They don't see any point in understanding biology.

I don't get it. My parents pushed the importance of education pretty hard especially when I was little. My brother and I got grounded for bringing a B home on a paper; not the report card. It i was only for a couple days. Study the rest of the day on what you missed and do it again on the next day.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 10-16-2012 at 04:19 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
I dont agree with it but its a tough call. Is it fair to LOWER the standards for all the kids just because some cant make it? I think you end up dumbing down kids if you dont challenge them. Lets face it, most of us when challenged tend to perform at a higher level than when we arent. Again Im not trying to justify the new legislation. Im simply pointing out the fact that something does need to be done. I dont have the answer to the problem but I do know the U.S. statistically is slipping down the educational slope. We cant continue doing what were doing and think the results will be anything less than lack luster. Its a shame really. All kids are different, every one of them. Personally I think alot of it starts at home. If Mom and Dad arent willing to take an active part in jr's education then the schools are fighting a battle they cant win.

Last edited by or10r; 10-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
It's absolutely absurd. This is part of the dumbing-down of America. To hold different groups to different standards does nothing to further the advancement of anyone. The legislators have basically said, "Blacks are the dumbest and Asians are the smartest. So we're going to lower the standards so everyone can have a warm fuzzy when they all get an 'A' on the report card." It's grading on a Bell curve based on race.

The next step I see is kids will just be given a freaking diploma for anyone who just "participates" in school.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

sorry if I miss read that. I was thinking it was standardized test scores.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #8 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
To divide up education standards by race is basicly racist policy. But stereotypes are created by common occurances. If a particular group of people tend to stress the importance of education over another, is it fair to the kids that get no encouragement at home to be failed or held back a grade. Should the schools lower the levels across the board? So the unmotivated kids that will do just good enough to pass are shooting for 74% instead of 80's (honestly they won't set the standard that everybody has to keep up with the asians). Then you are setting the bar to low for kids that are equipted to do better and are only pushed not fail at home.
My friend is a Jr. High school teacher in one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. He says it is nearly impossible to teach the kids anything when they brag about how their "Pops" just made assistant manager at Mcdonald's. If most of the kids are viewing a career as assistant manager at a fast food chain, they aren't aiming high. How much do you think they really care about education. All they have to do is count change and read enough to understand a menu. They don't see any point in understanding biology.

I don't get it. My parents pushed the importance of education pretty hard especially when I was little. My brother and I got grounded for bringing a B home on a paper; not the report card. It i was only for a couple days. Study the rest of the day on what you missed and do it again on the next day.
Hard work, good work ethic and high personal standards go a long way! You dont win an Olympic medal or a WSBK championship or a Superbowl layin on the couch. You have to set high goals and work hard for them. We dont teach hard work anymore though we teach "You deserve a break today". We have become a nation of entitlement.

Again Im not sayin this legislation is right. More that what we are doing now isnt.

post #9 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Hard work, good work ethic and high personal standards go a long way! You dont win an Olympic medal or a WSBK championship or a Superbowl layin on the couch. You have to set high goals and work hard for them. We dont teach hard work anymore though we teach "You deserve a break today". We have become a nation of entitlement.

Again Im not sayin this legislation is right. More that what we are doing now isnt.
A'men Brother, somewhat off topic but kinda related...... People today are soft and fragile, its the era of video games, social networks, and texting. You hand a kid a shovel, some seeds and water and he'll look at you funny, Hand a kid a rifle and a knife and tell him to go get dinner and he'd probably cry. All these kids are "tough" until shit gets real. A high percentage of todays generations will not survive when this country falls. Granted I love my country and have fought for this country but even Rome fell. Plain and simple people are too damn soft, and I for one will pray on the weak.

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #10 of 27 Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
It's absolutely absurd. This is part of the dumbing-down of America. To hold different groups to different standards does nothing to further the advancement of anyone. The legislators have basically said, "Blacks are the dumbest and Asians are the smartest.
I think the worst thing here is that we're telling black or latino kids that they can't do any better than Asians or whites. Instead of helping them, we're telling them that "this is how it is".

We're headed straight to idiocracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in