Learn how to ride in one hour!?? - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEBOX View Post
I can teach people to kill other people in 1 hour. $100 for the full hour. Any takers?
That's exactly the point. "Take it easy and you'll be OK." Right, and when the person screws the pooch do they also take out some innocent person along with? Like it or not we have some level of social responsibility and for those who say "fuck the law" as one clown told me, well, society will demand its pound of flesh whether one likes it or not. So why not just do the right thing to start off with? Take the MSF course, get a bike commensurate with your skill level, and go from there.

Even though my first purchase was an XT200 Yamaha, and my second bike an XT550 Yamaha (both single-cylinder dual-sport), my third was a 1983 VF750F Interceptor. I threw that bike down the road twice the first year, but I DID avoid a few accidents because I was a pretty good dirt rider. The Interceptor was 86 HP, that was considered astonishing for a 750 in those days. Also it weight 542 lbs. wet. Now my GSX-R 750 is 148 HP and weighs 419 lbs. wet.

I think one thing that helped me is I got into bikes because I loved the riding; I never cared too much about being the fastest guy, I did a lot of long distance and touring on any bike I had. I let the fast guys go out ahead but by no means was I the slowest.

I hate to say this but of the group of guys I rode with (32 years worth), almost all the fastest guys are dead, paralyzed, or have a lot of titanium plates and screws in their bodies. That is just the plain truth. Because on the street the way you go faster is to a) have the fastest bike available, like a GSX-R 1100 or FZR1000 (from my day) and b) enter blind turns as fast as possible, hoping absolutely nothing goes wrong. A guy can get away with that for a good long while but eventually it catches him out.

Just try to do it the right way because this stuff is quite lethal even done right.
JUICEBOX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
Learn how to operate yes, how to ride no.

Most of the people I see "riding" are barely operating.
Whats going on in here?? Been in bed with a sinus infection/bronchitis for last 5 days and I come back and there's good productive convo going on in here! Keep up the good work folks!

Even though im heavily med'd what Dricked said is head of nail! Not to pick on the cruiser crowd but just the other day, went home for lunch to let the dogs out and just on the way there from work saw not one but two different guys nearly drop at a stop. One just wobbled real bad, the other nearly dropped it (stopped on incline + turn). They were older guys but still, ive seen older guys handle bikes well...then again seems like most times I see someone having a hard time its a much older person on a bike.
I still attribute that to the fact that they were never properly taught to begin with.
Then coming home Friday I realized that I don't necessarily get along with all riders. Squid on R6, no muffler/pipe, absolutely no gear, sneakers, ball cap pressed flat, looking the look lol, chick with love handles on back with tramp stamp, acting like a total douch in traffic - again, in no gear. lol. Pulls up first in turn lane only right next to first going straight. Light turns and he blows by first guy going straight, just to get out front. That type of shit. Im a dick, yea, but I just don't pull that stuff anymore lol.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
post #23 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

omg, cap and the drick official allies!
post #24 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
Hordes of road cyclists where I ride, certain times of the week. I have greatly adjusted the way I ride on certain sections of road.

I had some guy ranting to me about how he hated the freeway and would never ride on it the other day. I was just looking at him thinking how the hell do you ever get anywhere? After doing my 250-mile loop I look forward to the 60 miles of freeway to unwind on the way home. I use the first 60 miles to get to the good roads to just wake up and get used to the bike.

It's all just part of it.
Must not be on a super if hates the slab. CA slab cagers have np around bikes, especially if we stay outta their way. I have slab on end of loop, also, and last ten miles is mega heavy headwind. If an empty patch opens, I kinda hit triples. I mean HEAVY headwind. 101 south, starting at Gilroy. Ocean stuff coming in from my house. lol.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Must not be on a super if hates the slab. CA slab cagers have np around bikes, especially if we stay outta their way. I have slab on end of loop, also, and last ten miles is mega heavy headwind. If an empty patch opens, I kinda hit triples. I mean HEAVY headwind. 101 south, starting at Gilroy. Ocean stuff coming in from my house. lol.
Hate to bag on the "adventure bike" crowd but he was on a big R1200GS. I think we all know those grouchy types that wish no one was on the road but themselves. Guy was a pretty good rider from what I could tell though.

Of course I rode my F800GS about 220 miles yesterday and again today, even did 12 miles of pretty tough dirt road, which I was wishing at one point I had not decide to try as I was alone. I was thinking I was darn glad I got the 800 which has a 21-inch front tire. However the old dirt bike skills kicked in and I got through it but I was very relieved. A 480-lb dirt bike is not the best machine to have if ya need to stop suddenly. Thankfully it never happened. That thing hammers through rough stuff a lot better than it has a right to and fookin' rails on fast pavement.

I deal with big wind pretty often out my way, too; you get used to it. Just happy to be on the road, 1000+ miles in the last week or so.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

My first bike was an 89' YSR50 and learned on that. Back in those days there weren't any Starbucks around.. so I basically rode around in circles or something like that.

True story..

09' Ice Blended Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
10' Venti Mocha Latte spilled some of it, was too hot
11' Peppermint Mocha W/Extra Shot of Espresso
12' Eggnog Venti Latte
13' Bagel
14' Standard Drip (since a Venti latte went up 20 cents)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in