No, they should be protected from it all 1 2.86%
No, it could pass on stress to them 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Kids and the economy --- poll

My wife and I are discussing if/how we should talk to our kids about the curent economy.

Wha'cha ya'll think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Postwhore with an 04

Posting Frequency

I duno I think if its affecting your family and the kids are noticing then it might be worth explaining. Other than that why make them worry about stuff that is out of their control.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Since I was 5, my parents didn't hide any world conditions from me. If it was on the news and I asked I got straight answers that I could understand. Wars, stocks, political scandals if I was interested I was informed. They also watched the 5-6:30 news religiously. So I was forced to watch or I wanted to watch tv. My father was Air Force so no real job loss scare either.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #4 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
how old are your kids, 5 haha jk. i mean the question at hand is how your views right or wrong may effect their confidence and or moral upon their release into the real world. i voted yes, depending on the age. but id be very selective and tactful about it. this isnt the first time america's been in a recession. personaly, im speaking more optimisitc than i usually do about the economy and feel its in for the worst but we should give the youth hope and not in the form of a political figure either

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*

Last edited by hesaves0211; 12-31-2008 at 12:13 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It truly depends on their age and your purpose in telling them; you really don't give us much to work with here. What effect do you think your explanation will have on them? If they are between 3-6 they are probably not going to understand much, if they are 10 and older or a very mature 7-9, they probably already know a little bit about what's happening and would have a better grasp of what you are telling them. But more importantly is what your purpose is in telling them. Are you that bad right now that catastrophy looms around the corner and you want to prepare them for worst case scenario or is it something you think you can survive? Why put them through unnecessary stress; let them enjoy their years as children as much as possible without creating trauma for them, life as an adult is traumatic enough...

I grew-up in a very traumatic environment, it took years to recover from and I still don't think I'm fully recovered. At the age of 7-9 I was traumatized about the Vietnam War as if I could get drafted at that age and a fear of death was instilled in me. Unless truly necessary, let them be kids...
post #6 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

go for it
post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Ervins
Kids in America have gone soft...They are more worried about being stars, musicians, and hip hop artists, instead of being SOLID contributors to America. We have fewer and fewer born engineers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. We need to get our kids more educated so they can and help the US compete in the future.

So yes, kids should be made aware of what is going on so that they can THINK about what the future has, how they can change it, and what they need to do about it.

2006 ZX-10R SOLD, 2005 KX250F, and 2007 YZ85
and a Ton of Guns
I will never own a Honda again.

www.ema-usa.com
Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

A good foundation will ensure that kids grow-up to be contributors. My son grew-up playing sports (Baseball & Football), far from being soft and I had no need to preoccupy him with world affairs or the economy. When he was old enough, he decided to join the Army (we were at war already), he served in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne, stayed in the reserves and is currently E-6 Drill Sergeant, and works for the U.S. Customs at JFK.

If you want to teach him about the economy so he understands it that's one thing, but if you want to paint a gloomy future, that's another...
post #9 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

these are dreadful times we are going through. Kids should know. just like my parents went through the great depression.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Regardless of the age???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in