Keeping the old christmas tree alive - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Keeping the old christmas tree alive

So we've always had this tradition of running out and getting our christmas tree the day after thanksgiving. I plan on doing this tomorrow, however I always run into the same problem. It seems nearly impossible to keep the damn tree alive until christmas. Don't get me wrong, I had a couple lucky years where the tree did awesome all the way to new years, but most of the time, its pretty dead by the 25th. Does anyone have any tips for keeping these things alive for about a month? I've tried the little solutions they sell at the lots for the water, but they don't seem to do much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

This article has some pretty good tips:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...mas-tree-fresh

Best 1/4mi ET: 8.98 @ 147 (stock motor, no turbo/nitrous)
post #3 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks, that was an interesting read. I guess there is still no real solid information as to weather adding anything to the water is better than just plain water or not. The article does have a good point about buying from a farm though, maybe my Home Depot trees have been sitting around for awhile.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian24 View Post
Thanks, that was an interesting read. I guess there is still no real solid information as to weather adding anything to the water is better than just plain water or not. The article does have a good point about buying from a farm though, maybe my Home Depot trees have been sitting around for awhile.
The idea of cutting a little off the bottom before sticking it in water made sense as well. Maybe you can try that

Best 1/4mi ET: 8.98 @ 147 (stock motor, no turbo/nitrous)
post #5 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Gettin a Xmas tree a month before Xmas is unheard of here....they dont even have the tree lots open yet here. And you are in Cali, here its cold and it wouldnt last, there with your temps I dont think anything would make a tree last there unless you get it a few weeks before Xmas or get an artifical tree.

Silly boys ninjas are for GIRLS
post #6 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Don't hold me to this but I think its got somethin to do with the actual cutting..I seem to remember that your supposed to cut flowers stem under water and on an angle..If I remember correctly its the air pockets that kill the life of the flower so I wonder if its the same for trees..

Yes I know..useless info I suddenly remember..I got the claven diease...As in cliff claven

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by red636girl View Post
Gettin a Xmas tree a month before Xmas is unheard of here....they dont even have the tree lots open yet here. And you are in Cali, here its cold and it wouldnt last, there with your temps I dont think anything would make a tree last there unless you get it a few weeks before Xmas or get an artifical tree.
I usually get about 3 weeks out of my trees. I've had two years that I can think of where they were good all the way up until new years though. The tree lots opened a couple days ago here though, there's quite a few people in Cali that get them right after thanksgiving.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 01:54 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I read somewhere a long time ago that you're supposed to water the tree using boiling water. The idea is that the hot water will melt the sap plug that develops over the cut and allows the water to get absorbed easier. I've done that the last few years without any damage. Don't know if it is better than cold water or not, but the trees seem to last several weeks. You could try that this time around to see if it helps.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

We usually get ours next weekend and don't have any problem making it last to new years. But that's from a farm that you cut your own tree. They give us a powder to put in water but no special instructions.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-25-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I read somewhere a long time ago that you're supposed to water the tree using boiling water. The idea is that the hot water will melt the sap plug that develops over the cut and allows the water to get absorbed easier. I've done that the last few years without any damage. Don't know if it is better than cold water or not, but the trees seem to last several weeks. You could try that this time around to see if it helps.
Boiling water huh? That kind of makes sense. Last year I tried putting the tree in the stand so that the cut wasn't pushed tightly against the stand, I figured maybe it would help it absorb the water. I think this year I'm gonna do that again and try the boiling water like you suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in