Job Help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Job Help

I have my degree and working on my masters. I need help with working on my resume for a new job. If I don't start getting into my real career im going to go crazy. if somone could please email me a good outline for a resume for a computer or technical position or just a good outline. I am horrible at formating and stuff with these dam things. I do not need your personal information (you can take that out or put false info in). [email protected] is my email (great now im not so nameless ). feel free to give me advise or pm me with any suggestions. thanks.

'11 Black zx-10r | Tech-spec Tank pad | Akraprovic w/ link | Power Commander V | Auto tune | HID | 1/5 Insert | Driven Smog Plates | DMP integrated tail light | Vortex rear sets w/ new pressure switch | Puig dark smoke windscreen | BMC Air Filter | Cox Radiator Guard |

To Do List:
ECU reflash
Steering Damper revalved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

if anyone wouldnt mind, would they do the same for me? just a general outline of one to follow. Im graduating in 6 months and have had limited success with making a resume and any help would be great!! Even advice like The "nameless" said would be a great help!

Dont mean to threadjack either. Just a really good thread asking for help that would help me out a lot too.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you guys would just "google" it, you would be suprised how much free resumes are out there. There's a lot of different styles out there, but it sounds like the one you would use would obviously be the kind that would highlight your education. Just search for a little bit. You'll find something. Good luck. If I find something though I'll obviously email it to you.

http://www.resumetemplates.org/

There. Try that. :)

Last edited by Mladinracer; 01-12-2012 at 10:41 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I do all the hiring for my company so I am constantly looking over resumes. I can offer a few tips for resumes as well as red flags that I look for.

1. Spelling and grammar - this may seem like common sense but make sure you check spelling and grammar, and maybe even have someone else check over your resume. Poor spelling and grammar generally gives the employer a bad first impression and some employers may not even take the time to interview you because of it.

2. Email address - If you have an email address listed on your resume, make sure it is something appropriate and professional...you may want to even look into setting up an email address just for this purpose.

3. Cover letter - take the time to make up a personalized cover letter for each position you are applying for. It doesn't have to be an essay or anything but just a quick paragraph about yourself and maybe why you are applying for the job.

4. Information - Try and just include pertinent information in your resume. You want to highlight the skills and qualifications that make you a suitable candidate for the position. ex. if you are applying for an IT job they probably don't care if you got your outdoor survival badge in scouts 10 years ago.

5. Make sure your resume looks nice. Don't scribble or white out information, don't write stuff in pen on your resume, don't fold it, and if you spill something on it throw it out and print a new one.

Another tip is if you are handing in resumes in person, make sure to dress up and not look like a slob. If possible ask to speak to the manager/person in charge of hiring and personally hand it to them. First impressions are really important and if you can make a good impression it will increase your chances of getting an interview.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuta31 View Post
I do all the hiring for my company so I am constantly looking over resumes. I can offer a few tips for resumes as well as red flags that I look for.

1. Spelling and grammar - this may seem like common sense but make sure you check spelling and grammar, and maybe even have someone else check over your resume. Poor spelling and grammar generally gives the employer a bad first impression and some employers may not even take the time to interview you because of it.

2. Email address - If you have an email address listed on your resume, make sure it is something appropriate and professional...you may want to even look into setting up an email address just for this purpose.

3. Cover letter - take the time to make up a personalized cover letter for each position you are applying for. It doesn't have to be an essay or anything but just a quick paragraph about yourself and maybe why you are applying for the job.

4. Information - Try and just include pertinent information in your resume. You want to highlight the skills and qualifications that make you a suitable candidate for the position. ex. if you are applying for an IT job they probably don't care if you got your outdoor survival badge in scouts 10 years ago.

5. Make sure your resume looks nice. Don't scribble or white out information, don't write stuff in pen on your resume, don't fold it, and if you spill something on it throw it out and print a new one.

Another tip is if you are handing in resumes in person, make sure to dress up and not look like a slob. If possible ask to speak to the manager/person in charge of hiring and personally hand it to them. First impressions are really important and if you can make a good impression it will increase your chances of getting an interview.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them.

Thats a monster help just to start with. Personal tips and experiences are the biggest help in being able to be more efficient and successful for me. It just gives me a good guideline as to what things I should do and what things to avoid.

Are you hiring?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

not that you want your resume' to look like everyone elses, but I think there are resume' outlines and what have you on fully licensed versions of Microsoft Word. Has to be a newer version. Like 2000 or later but I think there is some nice outlines and graphics and what have you.

plus... stick to one page... a cover letter and one page... no one reads past the first page.

if you have more to say, say it in the interview... Brevity, it the soul of wit

oh and clean up your face book page and twitter account before you send out your resume'

google yourself and see what comes up, anything that you can change that doesn't scream "professional, hard working, loyal, honest"... fix it.

oh, and I knew this guy who always kept pipe tabacco in his brief case... never smoked it, just made all his paperwork have a faint scent of prince albert in a can. Scent is a huge memory trigger... you want them to remember you, doesn't matter why, just that your face or name pops into their head when their boss asks them how the new hires are going.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back

Last edited by Rifleman; 01-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Considering you guys are still in school (so am i), there should definitely be a career center on campus that should take you through the steps and show you what you should/shouldnt include, as well as formatting. Unless south carolina is just going above and beyond (yeah right haha) youre school should be able to help you

will i know when its finally done?
this whole life's a hallucination.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
Great advice already posted, also you will want to create multiple resumes, depending on what you are applying for specifically.

If you get an interview, have extra copies to hand out to a hiring manager, and anyone else they bring along for a possible panel interview.

If you're graduating school, maybe a letter of recommendation or two? I don't job hop, and I have done many.....many interviews to hire people, letter of recommendation depending on what they say can go a long way.

Remember for the interview, you are there to sell yourself. The Hiring Manager is there to also sell the company and position to you. Sometimes it's hard to find good help and other companies may be after the same person.

Be ready to adjust to different personalities, you have to be flexible with your personality depending on who is asking questions.

Interview tip - sometimes questions are just that, they are looking for a specific answer. HOWEVER, sometimes there is no right answer, but there is a wrong answer. They are looking at how you deal with hard questions under pressure. They could be looking for "bad" answers as well.

Dress appropriately, you would be surprise with what some people try to wear and get away with. Interviewing for a 60k+ job, but look like you would fit into a 30k job? Not a good idea.

Good luck with your resume.....and hopefully successfull interviews. You're hard work is about to pay off.

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Here is a tip:

Your resume should fit on one page! Put references on a second page (only provide if requested).

When we post a job we can get 100 responses in a few days. One page of your RELEVANT experience and education is plenty to decide if you are going to be interviewed. If you give us three pages of life history, be assured it doesn't get read.
most important is relevant work experience (can you hold down a job?)
second importance is education (GPA, degrees, awards)
third importance is activities, honors, boy scouts, etc

and as others said, if your spelling or grammar is off, you wont be interviewed.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Most word processors that you'd use to type up a resume, such as Microsoft word, already have resume wizards on them that will help outline the resume and will give helpful hints on how to set it up so it looks very nice and professional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in