Jeep Owners - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Jeep Owners

I have been lookin around for awhile at a few different rigs and narrowed it down to 2 possible choices, either a 98 Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.9 or a 97-2000 Wrangler TJ. I know they are on differnet ends of the spectrum in terms of what they are but I'm just a jeep guy at heart, grew up around them an just have a soft spot for them. Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

I'm wondering about major mechanical issues, tranny, V8 engine, electrical on the Grand Cherokee and electrical and automatic tranny issues on the Wrangler. Jeepforums.com was slightly helpful but most of those guys break stuff from wheelin the hell out of their rigs so normal issues don't come up much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've got a tj with over 200000 miles never replaced any thing mechanical but the waterpump the only issue I have had is the climate control switches I have replaced three @ 100$ apiece I don't drive it daily anymore because of the gas mileage 15 to 16 mpg.Purchased brand new in 2000 auto & hardtop.If you can keep gas in it they will run forever just my 2 cents
post #3 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had jeeps since I was a kid. I've had CJ5s CJ7s(one with a chevy 350) YJ TJ even a Cherokee. They are cold in the winter, Handle terrible, get crappy mileage and won't get out of their own way on the highway, but when my 97TJ finally gives up the ghost I will most likely get another one. They will run forever if you keep aware of a few things: I can't speak to the 98 Cherokee because i've never had one but I will say with auto transmissions get an auxilliary trans fluid cooler. It saved my 1990 cherokee. The 4.0 engines in the wranglers have a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds-get a header with expansion chambers-under $100, Also periodically check the intake/exhaust manifold bolts and valve cover bolts-they tend to vibrate loose. I had one catch on fire because it leaked oil onto the exhaust manifold. The water pumps go at a little over 100K miles like clockwork, not hard to replace. i've never had an electrical issue. I reccommend paying attention to the u-joints on higher mileage jeeps. I couldn't be happier with my TJ. The have unbelievable re-sale value too.

But I have done a thousand dreadful things,
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed,
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.
-Titus Andronicus
NESBA #78
post #4 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a particular Jeep fan BUT I do have to say I am a mechanic and they are for the most part built tough and they have a HUGE following therefore great resale!!
Happy Shoppin Bro

If you haven't gone down yet, you ain't ridin hard enough!!!
post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=Iridium;874533]Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

You should get a scooter, then you wouldnt have to worry about shifting, and just go around the traffic.

Silly boys ninjas are for GIRLS
post #6 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

[quote=red636girl;875068]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

You should get a scooter, then you wouldnt have to worry about shifting, and just go around the traffic.
Hell yea, strap a nitrous bottle to that sucker, hit the sidewalk and race old folks on their Rascals!
post #7 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I thought you would like that one!

Silly boys ninjas are for GIRLS
post #8 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Ervins
I had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler...I owned it for 9 years...Loved it. Sold it to a friend who still has it...Best car ever and fun to own. I would buy another one but my wife hated it.

2006 ZX-10R SOLD, 2005 KX250F, and 2007 YZ85
and a Ton of Guns
I will never own a Honda again.

www.ema-usa.com
Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
post #9 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

as far as the tj go if your in a area where they use salt on the roads in winter just forget about it. they arent salt freindly and especially corrode at all the hinges... all the hinges, and look heinous in a couple of years. exaughst manifold cracking, interior leaks, and weak front and rear differentials (if big tired). the grands look for ac problems that can be x pen ive to fix, verify their "auto full time 4 wheel drive" works as its a bit of a odd system. if big tire`d weak diffs. i`ve owned and own a lifted grand and previously a lifted yj ( a older tj). the grand is a real nice all around vehicle around town and road trip wise... if you like 14 mpg...the yj was cooler but was a crime to drive in buffalo ny winters , which i only briefly did and was cold and basically uncomfortable...but cool...7inches of lift and 35`s, whatever. even stock for a dailey driver the grand is hands down the way to go.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

DUDE that is a EASY choice!!

the WRANGLER!!! make sure it is NOT a 4cyl.
it MUST be the 6cyl. 4.0L

it will last forever!!!

have a 99 myself!
NO major issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in