I only have 13months left on my contract what should I do!!!?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TwinZx11
I only have 13months left on my contract what should I do!!!??

Ok so im in the Army and dont have much time left in service. My wife is a full time student and will be done in May of next year. So here is the thing, she claims she can get a job a good paying job in the medical field before my time is up in the Army but my window to change my MOS or pick a duty station will end here soon cuz I could come down on orders to PCS or deploy within the next month or so and this would stop my chance of choosing anything. But a good thing about if I do get out and my wife finds a job back home is, we can live with my parents as long as we need to till we get our stuff straight.

I would like to know from everyone, if you were in this situation what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Well for us soldiers, that is the million dollar question. Like me, you have probly heard all the regrets from the older guyz about how they got out and came back in, with limbo time lost from thier time served. Thats for you to decide, but if I were you and I have been, I would stay in and look out for yourself. I know this deployement and early pt shit sucks but the benefits are uncomparable. Lets see..30 dayz accrued vaca each year.(since i am curently deployed I took 21 days pre deployement, 15 days non chargable in the middle of my tour and I will get 30 dayz straight off when I get back.) TA or tuition assistance pays $4,500 to take collage courses of your choice.(I have earned 9 credits so far this deployement free of charge and a regionally acc. school) Post 9/11 GI Bill which will pay for you, your spouse, or your CHILDRENS school after you have served 10 years. I dont know if you have children but this the a biggie for me. You get every stinkin little holiday you could imagine off with full pay. Oh yea, did I mention free health and dental for you and your family. After 20 yrs of service you can retire with pension and medical for life, I imagine you will still be pretty young. I could go on and on, you get the point of my opinion. On top of all this you have been given the oppurtunity to serve our great nation at a time of war. Good luck with your decision!! Wow either I love my job or I should be a recruiter..lol
post #3 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TwinZx11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny View Post
Well for us soldiers, that is the million dollar question. Like me, you have probly heard all the regrets from the older guyz about how they got out and came back in, with limbo time lost from thier time served. Thats for you to decide, but if I were you and I have been, I would stay in and look out for yourself. I know this deployement and early pt shit sucks but the benefits are uncomparable. Lets see..30 dayz accrued vaca each year.(since i am curently deployed I took 21 days pre deployement, 15 days non chargable in the middle of my tour and I will get 30 dayz straight off when I get back.) TA or tuition assistance pays $4,500 to take collage courses of your choice.(I have earned 9 credits so far this deployement free of charge and a regionally acc. school) Post 9/11 GI Bill which will pay for you, your spouse, or your CHILDRENS school after you have served 10 years. I dont know if you have children but this the a biggie for me. You get every stinkin little holiday you could imagine off with full pay. Oh yea, did I mention free health and dental for you and your family. After 20 yrs of service you can retire with pension and medical for life, I imagine you will still be pretty young. I could go on and on, you get the point of my opinion. On top of all this you have been given the oppurtunity to serve our great nation at a time of war. Good luck with your decision!! Wow either I love my job or I should be a recruiter..lol
After reading your reply I feeling reenlisting now! lol. I HATE doing the pt test most of all out of everything we do in the Army cuz the sit up and 2 mile run event doenst make any sense to me.. I think they should chang it up a bit.

If I do get out I'm pretty sure i will do the guard or reserve. I used to be in the guard before and its not bad at all. My wife really wants me to get out and I want to make her and the kids happy. At the same time I would like to do something fun and different in the Army, as im currently a MP/SRT member. What is it that you do Gunbunny?
post #4 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I am Active Army 13B Field Artillery canon crewmember currently assigned to a paladin 155mm unit at fort sill. However I am sort of retrained to be a radar repairer on the counterfire radar systems out here in country. As for pt, the changes are happening as we speak. http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0..._test_071810w/
post #5 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

one question.... What's your MOS
post #6 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny View Post
+1. Ha, I was an Army recruiter for a couple of years and for the record, I never lied to anyone. Its impossible to explain the totallity of military life during the recruiting process.

I loved most of it but like you I hated P.T. I also disliked inspections, 2nd Lieutenants, I could go on.LOL IMO Including all the benefits already mentioned, nothing beats the sense of purpose and camaraderie that exists in the Armed Forces.

If its possible, I suggest you take a part time job while your still on A.D. and see if civilian life suits you.

Good Luck
post #7 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

That's a rough choice to have to make. With the economy and jobs the way they are, I don't know that I would get out. Life is about risk and what you are willing to do to get what you want. I also know if momma ain't happy noboby's happy. I am actually planning on staying in a bit longer and hoping that things are recovering nicely before I get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #8 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
WSB Rider

Location: Georgia is home, but the Army has me in San Antonio, TX!!!
Posting Frequency

I've been in for 15 years now. SFC and hopefully make the MSG list that's about to come out in the next month or two... I guess based on that, it's no surprise that I'm going to tell you to stay in!!!

I know you say the wife wants you to get out, but think of what it will cost YOU to get out!

If you decide to reenlist, do it ASAP. The Army has a new mission and quota that they have to meet and for the past two years, they met the quota early. As a result of that, they eliminated all reenlistment options. So do it before the options are gone!

Good luck!

post #9 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I got 6 months left on my contract and its down to college or become a LEO

reenlistment isn't even an option, if i was still single it might be a different story but this just isn't the family life for me anymore.

'07 SE- Lots to party with.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This may be long so here we go.....

I was in the Coast Guard for 10 years. I got out back in Nov of 2009. I found a job in Feb of 2010 that I am in now. My "MOS" was IT and that's what I am doing now. Honestly it was the best decision I could have made. First off like Codyc asked whats your MOS? Are you working on your degree? Are you going to look for a job doing the same thing you did in the Army?

A LOT of companies like military people. They know you will work hard, work well under pressure, work longer, and do things most college grads aren't willing to do! And you have experience. If you have some sort of clearance that opens even more doors for you. But on the flip side a lot of companies want to see that piece of paper.

On the flip side you more than likely wont get 30 days leave. You have to pay for medical and dental. Pay for medication. No more discounts on tons of stuff. Access to bases and everything that comes with that. Most of the stuff you take for granted you will not get on the outside.

If you do get out save up as much terminal leave as you can, YOU WILL NEED IT! Send out applications starting at least 6 months before your end of enlistment. You can always turn down a job, but you can't accept a job that you're not offered. Send out as many applications as you can. I sent out probably 75 to 100 in 3 months. Learn to be rejected, your competing for a job. Take your time to conform your resume to EACH job your applying for. It took me about 1 hr to submit a application for 1 job. And sometimes its not what you know but who you know.

Bottom line is if your in a technical field of any kind and willing to move anywhere I would go for it. There are TONS of resources and companies that will pick you up. Otherwise I would think long and hard about it. Good luck!

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in