I Need CB 350 Advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I Need CB 350 Advice

Ok, so I've meticulously restored this 72 Honda CB 350 and I can't get it to run right. I rebuilt the carbs as well as pretty much everything else, but when I start it, it revs way up without even touching the throttle. Before it started doing this, when you revved it up, it would be really slow to return to idle. It acts like a vacum leak but I can't find one. I balanced the carbs as best as I could. Any suggestions (short of throwing it off a cliff) would be greatly appreciated.

But I have done a thousand dreadful things,
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed,
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.
-Titus Andronicus
NESBA #78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

is there a fuel leak at all? check the oil to see if there is any fuel smell in it...maybe a stuck needle or something like that.

Bikes ever owned:
2004 Kawasaki zx12r
1994 Kawasaki zx7r
2004 kawasaki zx10r
2001 kawasaki zx9r
1989 kawasaki zx10
1996 suzuki gsxr 750
1998 honda vtr1000
1994 kawasaki zx6e
1985 yamaha fz750
1984 honda nighhawk 750s
1988 yamaha fz600
post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

There's no fuel leaks that i can detect. I have had the carbs apart about 3 times and everything seems to be working as it should.

-Titus Andronicus
NESBA #78
post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Interesting. Been a long time for me and the CB's.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #5 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
i have NO idea about that bike... but i DO know that i had a similar problem on my 03 r1 when i installed the throttle slide stops... the bike would rev to about 8K bately twisting the throttle and it would take forever to return to idle, yea i retraced my steps and found out that the problem was from the rubber boots on the throttle body were LOOSE, causing air to come in and makin it rev like that... just check the boots, mine were rubber with a metal clamplike thing around em, and i had to get a ft and a half long allen head t handle to get to each clamp... yea thank god for pep boys!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 01:59 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

How are you checking for vacuum leaks? I usually use Gumout carb cleaner and spray the boots one at a time. If the motor revs or bogs then there is your leak. You can also take some water in a spray bottle or some spit on a finger and while its running spray or spit and wipe on the headers just off the head. It should sizzle away, if not that carb is your problem.

How did you sync the carbs also? If it is slow to idle down that is typical for the carbs to be out of sync. But could also be attributed to the vacuum leak.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 02:13 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I had a 72 yamaha which did the samething. the rubber boot that connect the carb to the intake had a leak. it was crack made from old age.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70
How are you checking for vacuum leaks? I usually use Gumout carb cleaner and spray the boots one at a time. If the motor revs or bogs then there is your leak. You can also take some water in a spray bottle or some spit on a finger and while its running spray or spit and wipe on the headers just off the head. It should sizzle away, if not that carb is your problem.

How did you sync the carbs also? If it is slow to idle down that is typical for the carbs to be out of sync. But could also be attributed to the vacuum leak.

Tread
I used a propane torch and blew propane over the boots. I am going to check them again. it seems that is the most likely culprit. There are what look like vacum hose nipples in the tops of the boots for some reason. I have them blocked off but perhaps they are still sucking air. The carb syncing procedure is pretty primative if you follow the manual, there really is only one adjustment on these carbs for the main air screw and syncing is done manually by adjusting the cables and stops.Thanks for the suggestions!

-Titus Andronicus
NESBA #78

Last edited by BrockLanders; 10-29-2006 at 02:30 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70

Tread
Don't throw it off the cliff just yet, those bikes are classics.

It sounds as if there is either a vacuum leak or your carb is fouled still. If you left fuel in the carbs for too long and didn't get it completely cleaned, it will have a hard time maintaining a constant RPM. If your carb is still gummed up it will act very much like a vacuum leak.

If you have ensured there are no vacuum leaks with your carbs or intakes, and it sounds as if you have, I would try and clean the jets/passages of those carbs again.

Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

2005 ZX-10R
2002 FXST CUSTOM
2001 KX 250
2003 CRF 450R (Sons)
2005 KXF 250F (Sons)
2005 KX 85
2003 XR50 (108cc)
2006 KLX 110 (Daughters)
post #10 of 13 Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

here is how i fixed my sv with the same problem. does it have the rubber boots that go to the airbox from the carb? the screw that holds it down to the carb was tightened down to where it was touching the throttle control on the carb and pushing it open. stupid fix but worked for me. check the clamps that go down over the rubber boots to the carbs and see where the screw is set at. i moved mine to make it better access and found that i had tightened it down touching the carb throttle plates/control.

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in