HWY 49 Little Dragon - in california . were? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

HWY 49 Little Dragon - in california . were?

if you live and ride highway 49 ? i live in sacramento , just want to know were the ride starts for this little dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Highway 49 - The Little Dragon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite roads, we call it the Little Dragon.

It stretches only 14 or so miles from Bear Valley to Culterville in California's gold country. i found it
post #3 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Dunno if that is it for sure or not. Found that on google.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I did that complete circle at the MotoGP races two years ago...115 degrees, 420 miles, one day trip....whew...didn't pee or sheit for 3 days...dehydrated...

post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That map isn't exactly wrong, but it sure isn't right either. The little Dragon is on hwy 120 just where Hwy 120 splits off hwy 49 for that section between Hwy 49 and Big Oak Flat but the orange line on the map doesn't begin to reflect the shape of the road. Also 120 there is a newer version of the old road which is on the opposite side of that ravine, and it is called Priest grade. It was considered too hazzardous so the new road was built (some time ago I don't know when).
You can still use the old road, so do both. Another set of tight twisties are hwy 49 between Coulterville and Bear Valley. Bear valley is something else not on that map, its a spot on the road Hwy 49, as your going to Mariposa ya gotta do that too. If you can snag a AAA map called Central California
Bay area to lake Tahoe and Yosemite it's a great map for this whole Sierra area.
Any questions? Feel free to ask. And RoK On :-)

Last edited by louemc; 03-26-2008 at 10:00 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by louemc View Post
...The little Dragon is on hwy 120 just where Hwy 120 splits off hwy 49 for that section between Hwy 49 and Big Oak Flat but the orange line on the map doesn't begin to reflect the shape of the road. Also 120 there is a newer version of the old road which is on the opposite side of that ravine, and it is called Priest grade...
I remember that section on the way up to yosemity in the cage a couple of years ago...I also remember there were no guard rails either :headshake. But I guess hitting a guard rail would only save the bike and not the rider anyway

You also gotta luck out and hit that section before the campers do or it won't be much fun at all

post #7 of 16 Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That's the beauty of our best places. We don't have any guard rails. No forgiveness.

Actually, in the best places, no center line either.
The roads good enough to have a center line, are used by normal people and that conjestion thing.
The Little Dragon is particularly sweet corners though, so it can be forgiven for having a center line.

The whole Hwy 49 and hwy 120 to Yosemite part of this area gets major traffic on the weekends, so if at all possible, to get here on week days, it ups the chance of better enjoyment.

I wouldn't even go to the nice section of twisties on hwy 49, between Coulterville and Bear valley on a Sunday. That's a magnet for flat lander squids and others that should know better, but are starved for corners, so can't help themselves. They come from Modesto in a pleasent shot to get there, so they come in droves. Droves always include bikers that are total newbies, that went out and bought a serious Hot Sport bike and now there they are with others they want to fit in with, and these corners have a rock wall on one side and a drop off on the other side, and very short visable distance on the road.

I shudder to think about it :headshake

Last edited by louemc; 03-27-2008 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yo man, take it to pm

there is cops from that area watchin that shit.

old man ran off on his wheelchair

theazzman.com (my blog)
post #9 of 16 Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
yo man, take it to pm

there is cops from that area watchin that shit.

Huh? Something being discussed here, that everyone interested in this area, shouldn't be reading?
post #10 of 16 Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i always advise that routes be kept to PMs because you dont want your fun weekend ride ruined by someone watching what you are doing on the interweb.

just a safety thing so you can enjoy the roads more with out fear of blue and red lights

old man ran off on his wheelchair

theazzman.com (my blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in