How was Laguna this year? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-24-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

How was Laguna this year?

I haven't bothered to look through the 10 thousand other threads about this years motogp to see if anyone who went actually gave an opinion on how it was in person. Just curious is all. Was everyone at the races aware of the problems they were having with track surface? Did any .net peeps meet up? Pics? Was getting in the track better this year? Brushes with celebrity? What was the dealio? Please dish..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Fuggin' HOT on Sat!

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

ya, the track was a bit of an issue. right at the bottom of the cork screw was a bump on the inside line but most took a little bit more of an outside line to minimize the jarring. we did meet up on sat at noon, me, olderguy, gilberts 10R and latdrop. we were to meet on sunday, but i just got caught up in buying stuff. yes, it was hotter than ballz, they have to get the bus situation straight for the return back to the parking for general parking. but overall, i was in love. i'll post up pics later.

btw, you've heard nothing like a moto gp bike live. video clips dont do it, period. take the can off your 10r, multiply that sound by like 5X! 120db!!!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #4 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

^^^Agreed about the experience; it was awesome!! And equally hot, they said once over the loudspeaker that it was 12 degrees hotter than any other motorcycle race ever run there.

I hung out around the Kawi tent from about 11 untill 11:45 and then left to watch the Formula Extreme race, ended up not seeing anyone from the forum but Marisa did get to meet Gilbert. I've got some pics to put up later too as soon as I get home.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

yeah, yeah...
like rickroush03 said a few met, i have a couple pics too, try and post tonite...
it was hot..we carried around a beach umbrella and just kinda stopped wherever...

we drank A LOT of beer in my crew...but sweat it all out...

getting in and out was NO PROBLEM for us...i bought the 50 dollar parking pass right behind the red bull tent...took 5 minutes to hit the highway... we were doing 50-60 on the access roads...home in 45 minutes...

the race was really fun...rickroush is right, gotta be seen to be believed...the kawi's sounded a lot better this year...musta retimed or somthing...nicky owned the place, always the first to hit the track runnin....watching roger get second to spies was cool as we were yelling our asses off for him...

my kids really liked the motocross exhibition...we went to 3 shows...nate adams did backflips for us and signed my kids hats...they were stoked!! i met a hero, tommy clower(dont laugh)and got caught in the moment and high fived him as he came by once......those guys need to be seen as well to believe how high they jump...

the vendor stuff is like a country fair for sportbikes...our bud bought about a grand worht of shiot....nothing for me tho...but got lots of stickers etc...theres more for sure...dont get me started on the umbrella girls!!!anyhow, back to work ...
post #6 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Hot, hot, hot....next year...taking a 5th wheel with air conditioning...

Last Tuesday we did a 540 mile ride from Monterey to Yosemite and back...115 degrees....took us 13.5 hours...took my body 3 days to recover....ran my rear Pilot Power down to the threads and had to pick up a new one from Kyle Racing on Wed am...took it to the dealer to install...Whew....

We rode the piss outa the noCal roads...that's why we went up the prior Sunday....

Bitchin', that's all I gotta say.....;

post #7 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

From AMA Superbike (early '80s), 500GP's, World Superbike, to MotoGP, I've only missed a couple motorcycle races at Laguna, and this was by far the hottest!! My wife and I always try to get a fan parade lap ticket, and it was pretty cool this year to be able to check out where the bumps were - even at parade lap speeds. I read they pretty much layed the new surface over the old, so not only were the old bumps there, they added some new ones as well. There was a pretty good dip on the entry to turn 4, noticable rippling on the exits of several turns, and I believe Cappirossi said the pavement was coming apart in the bottom of Rainey. You could feel the bumps even at parade lap speeds, and see how much the riders bars shook at race speeds (specially MotoGP). All in all the new access plan was OK, if you rode in on a bike. I wish they would have swept the access road (chip seal), my fairing lowers and pipe took a beating. Can't wait for next year. Hopefully they will fix the bumps, and rumor is, that next years 800's will be screamer motors intead of the current big bang style.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to kaw808
It was awesome as usual. We didn't make the meet as we were sitting at the Kawi tent drinking lots of cold water! It was unbelievably HOT! Track temp was 148 degrees! That's crazy! My kids absolutely loved their first GP and want to go again next year. The bus thing sucked bad! I almost got in a fight in line with some ass that was cutting in front everyone...
Oh well...fantastic time...loved it!

post #9 of 9 Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel Send a message via Yahoo to DarkAngel
^^^ Like they said....it was so very freaking hot. Coca Cola kicked down on Sunday and gave away free water at (I think) turn 5 to cool down all the broke fans. Kudos to Coca Cola. The races were awesome. I got to meet the Haydens and pick up some autographs, not to mention meeting many racers running around the paddock...did I spell that right? It was totally surreal just meeting these guys walking around like everyone else. Go Kawi! There were like a gazillion ZX-10's there! I loved it! GO KAWI !! Lots of 04,05, and 06's!!! Props to all the ZX10s that came out. The batteries to my digi cam failed on me and limited my picture taking. If you did not purchase all the special passes to get around the track, it turned into a nitemare for many. I think you needed paddock passes, grandstand passes, Chalet passes, VIP passes, water passes and I think some guy was selling a pass to cross the bridge/walkways. CHP was at their finest sitting on the freeway overpasses zapping bikes only and corralling them onto the side of the freeway giving away passes to their official police ball on the Highway 1 / 156 into Monterey. I swear officer....I could not have been speeding! I was still in first gear! It was a very practiced speed trap apparently targeting the poor eager fans making their way to the races. The Chicks there were totally smokin! I did get a really nice BBQ Tri Tip sandwich from one of the stands which made my day. Yep, the access road for the bikes was totally potholed and melting in some spots. The asphalt below my buddies chair melted around the legs . Hmmm... The experience was awesome, however very costly for the weekend. Cheers!

Do A Wheeeeeeliiiieeeeeeeeee!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in