How to get a good deal on a Cell plan? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

How to get a good deal on a Cell plan?

So, having not been in the US long, and having come from the UK I find the fees you guys pay for cell contract crazy.

However, in teh new world I need to adopt teh new world way! ;)

What I need to knwo is hwo to get eth best deal I can on a cell contract.
Here's what I'm looking for:
2 lines One for me and one for my wife:
Minimum of inclusive minutes/texts.(Who are we goning to call? We don't know any people in the US! Oh and don't say "Ghostbusters"! )
Some data. We don't need much, at home we have WiFi, at work I have Wifi, so it's only really when out and about!

We don't need phones! My wife has a simFree iphone 4s, I have a simFree Nokia 808.

So far I've seen prices ranging from $59 each to just over $100 for a "family" plan. They all include huge amount of talk minutes/txts, which we will never use!

I just don't want to pay for something I REALLY won't use!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Going to be hard to find something like that, most are huge plans for huge amounts of money.
I have a single plan for myself that is $55 a month for the very basics.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

well here are few choices : ( i worked for cell phone shop )

T-Mobile (Prepaid) .. $50/month. each line unlimited everything .. so $100 total

Boost Mobile (Prepaid) .. $50 as well

MetroPCS ( If its available ) $40 month unlimited ..

Virgin Mobile ( If its available) $35 month 300 minutes .. unlimited text/web ...

Simple Mobile ( If its available) $50 month unlimited talk.text.web.. and unlimited text international

everything else is pretty much a lot or not worth it .. you can try contracts .. but wil; cost more most off the time .. i prefer tmobile prepaid ..

The cheapest contract plan T-mobile has is

$60 month (plus tax n fees) both lines and you get 1000 minutes .. you will add internet for $20 a month ( each line) .. plus $20 texting .. so thats grand total off $120 ... plus tax n fess ... and you can get same plan from tmobile but in prepaid.. for $100 plus tax only no fees .. so .. IMO Tmobile Prepid is the way to go

Hope this helps ... ( all info/pricing is from NY .. but pretty sure should be same for all states)
post #4 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have tmobile...they have the best prices, but not always the best coverage...I live out in the sticks, so its not great but anywhere in town is awesome!

I pay about $200 a month for 3 lines with unlimited everything, and a 4th line has unlimited talk/text, but no data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #5 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

go into a store and start writing on a piece of paper that ur deaf and will only need texting and data and maybe theyll feel sorry and hook u up. my buddy was deaf and all he had was unlimited txting and data

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Gone Ridin'

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to twidget Send a message via MSN to twidget Send a message via Yahoo to twidget
Some of them have family plans where you can share a pool of minutes and data.
We did a family plan for wife/son. He has a smart-phone, she doesn't.

: Twidget
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

There is no such thing as a good deal on a cell plan. We have at&t family plan. 2 phones each with 200mb data and for 120 month, which i find appalling. We've been with them forever, so no contracts. It is sad to say the best thing about your cell plan is no contract. Our gov't pays for my neighbors cell phone because he doesn't want to work so you could probably go that route, lol. Anyway, best of luck. And welcome to america my friend.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Boost shrinkage plan here. Ive been with them for over 2 years and 0 problems. From south Florida to Indy to Oklahoma to Mississippi, Ive been all over with it. Unlimited text, calls and data start at $55 and drop down to $35 in $5/6month increments. Hard to beat I think. Especially when I was paying about $100 a month with TMobile, I love seeing that $35 bill from Boost.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! You've all given me a lot of options to investigate.
I forgot to say it has to be on a GSM network, as I use a Nokia phone from the UK. I'm on ATT GoPhone at the moment, but I'm trying to find a better deal.

I can get company discount if I go contract with ATT or T-mobile. But I have to buy a phone at that point, which I don't want. So if anybody wants a cheapish phone! let me know! ;-) Selling the included phone will effectively "reduce" my total line rental over the contract period....

Rob
post #10 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Just trolling

Posting Frequency

I have verizon and i pay 220 a month with a small discount on one line. I have 4 lines unlimited text 1400 minutes which we never use all of them and unlimited data on all 3 lines which runs 30$ a line + unlimited text for family is 30 and than the rest is the minutes..its stupid expesnieve still for cell phone plans. i find it crazy i spend 90 dollars on internet on my phone than utrn around and spend 50 for internet at home. Verizon and the cable companies are making bookoo bucks off of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I'd change the oil in that...and all the time.
Panigale 1199S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in