Here's a fuggen rant for you "SQUIDS". - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Here's a fuggen rant for you "SQUIDS".

So, you're a new rider and you want a big bike. As long as you don't get stupid, you'll be able to handle it. It's all about the rider, right?

Forget about all the advice you get from the old codgers saying get a 250 or a 500. Why not go big right away? You'll learn how to ride it, and as you grow into it, you'll be fast. Bonus - you won't have to spend extra $$ to upgrade because you started out with what you wanted instead of buying a weenie bike.

If you buy a 250/500 or even a 600 that's not race ready you'll be kicking yourself within six months for not getting a bike that you can really tear it up with. So why bother with that? Just go straight to the big leagues. Get that literbike!

Yeah - who do you think you are kidding, squid?

Some of my favorite rationalizations:

"I'm athletic, and have good hand/eye coordination. Therefore I'm well suited to riding an aggressive sportbike." Cool, ask Kellen Winslow II about that. Unless you're a pro NFL player, I'm pretty sure he's more athletic than you are. Until you've played a game where Randy Johnson might hit you in the head from behind with a fastball because he didn't see you, it doesn't even compare to riding on streets populated by cell-phone obsessed SUV drivers.

"I rode dirt, and have a lot of experience on dirt bikes." Great. Means nothing. Out on a dirt track, you don't have soccer-mom piloted SUV's that don't see you. Oh, and what's the 1/4 mile times on a dirt bike? Not even close.

"People will give me flak if I have a weenie bike." Yeah, but you'll get even more shit if you have a literbike and can't ride it. When some guy torches you on his 600, or maybe even his weenie bike, you'll look like a total poser tool.

"I have no ego." Sure you do. Everyone does. If you have no ego, then why do you want a literbike or a race ready 600? So when you're sitting at a light on your Gixxer thou, and a bunch of bikes come up and take off with their tail-fluff waving bye-bye to you, you're just going to sit there and slowly pull off the line? Right.

"I'll outgrow a weenie bike really quickly." Sure you will. You're the next Valentino Rossi. You're the new Jeff Gordon on a bike. You're THAT fast and talented. Oh, by the way - Valentino started racing on 125cc bikes. That was his debut professionally. What do you think he learned on? Jeff Gordon learned how to drive by driving go-karts. Almost all the pros did.

"All bikes are dangerous anyway, so I might as well get the RR." There's some truth to that. However, a half twist of the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear on a non-RR will give you a surge of power. On some of the 600RR's, and almost all the modern 1000RR, that same throttle twist will pop the wheel up, maybe even throw your ass. RR's are built to have lightning-fast responsiveness. The problem is, you're not. Same as any sport, reflexes and responses have to be conditioned. When you put in the wrong inputs on a smaller bike, it'll remind you that it doesn't really like it and resist you. On a race ready bike, it'll go ahead and do it. As Doc says, they'll do anything you want them to, but they don't speak your language. Take tankslapping for an example - if you're a new rider and your bike starts to headshake at anywhere over 30mph, you're probably going down because you don't know how to control it, and it'll turn into a tankslap. The way to ride out a headshake is the exact opposite of what your natural reflexes tell you to do. The newer RR's are highly prone to headshakes. Welcome to the bleeding edge.

It's real life, not Days of Thunder. The fastest riders/drivers on the planet got that way by starting out with smaller vehicles so they could learn to control the vehicle, rather than starting on something that they just rode and held on to. If you start big, you'll spend most of your time holding on for dear life. If you start small, you'll learn how to work the bike. But hey, what do Rossi, Gordon, the Haydens, Earnhardt, Wallace, Rainey, or any of those guys know? They started out on weenie-mobiles.

My rant of the day.

post #2 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

go get a big bike and rip it up!!!! ....lol....
post #3 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

YEA...... rip your self to thread's, will just put you back together like the six million doller man
post #4 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

just don't tellum i sent ya

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #5 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

read my signature.

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
post #6 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1GSXRKILLER
If you buy a 600 that's not race ready you'll be kicking yourself within six months for not getting a bike that you can really tear it up with. Get that literbike!

post #7 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettewreck
This is the boat Im in now. I want a new 10 SOOOO bad but I just bought my '05 636 6 months ago and now Im kicking myself in the ass. Plus I dont want the '06 so Im screwed!!
So your telling me that out of this whole fuggen thread that is the only part that got your attention...lol.

Yea dude your screwd ...
post #8 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Green Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Green Knight
See... thats why squids are squids... They only hear or read what they want to hear or read. They are god's gift to motorcycling. How could anything with lack of skill pertain to them?
post #9 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1GSXRKILLER

"I rode dirt, and have a lot of experience on dirt bikes." Great. Means nothing. Out on a dirt track, you don't have soccer-mom piloted SUV's that don't see you. Oh, and what's the 1/4 mile times on a dirt bike? Not even close.
I agree with pretty much everything in your post, except for this. People who learned in the dirt are WAY better off than those who didn't. Anyone who can ride a dirtbike well can start on a 600 and do well. What happens when someone with no dirt experience runs into some dirt, gravel, or has the tire/s lock up when that soccer mom pulls out in front of them in that SUV? They have NO IDEA how to react.

Do you have any experience in the dirt? If not, go try and ride a 2-stroke 250cc fast. You're gonna be puttin around. Riding fast in the dirt is harder than riding fast on pavement. If you can handle a dirtbike well, a 600cc sportbike is a piece of cake. People with dirt experience have a major advatage over those who don't.
post #10 of 61 Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Chads10R Send a message via Yahoo to Chads10R
nice post!

"Dum Spiro Spero"
(While I breath, I hope)
www.citadel.edu

2004 Black ZX-10R

"An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in