Help me teach a lesson to some hick dildo! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Help me teach a lesson to some hick dildo!

Glenn Harbison is publisher of The News Observer. He can be reached at 706-632-2019 or by e-mail at [email protected]

http://www.thenewsobserver.com/artic.../opinion01.prt

This guy wrote an editorial that really has rubbed me the wrong way. He essentially is justifying hitting cyclists. I am an avid cyclist, both of the pedal and motor variety. I have been impacted from the death of friends on all types of two wheeled bikes, and this is not something that I take lightly.

This guy seems too important to take the time and pay attention to the weapon that he drives.

I was hoping that my zx-10r brothers (with time to kill) will unleash a fury of email, calls, craigslist ads, and what not to make his life a little more difficult. I know we have done this in the past, and now I need help. It would be nice if we could find his addy, and list some freebies that are first come, first serve.

Keep me updated on the shenanigans, so I can pass them onto to my other cycling buds.

I know I don't post much these days, but I am still lurking in the shadows.

Thanks for your help.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
HST

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

BTW, the road is not a highway. It's a mountain road that is often used by m/c's and bikes.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
HST

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" HST
post #3 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Personally..I think the guy is 100% correct....Highways have a min speed and to get to atleast 25 mph and hold it on a peddle bike you gotta have some legs on ya..So no way a peddle bike should be on the highway cause it becomes a hazzard for himself and the folks drivein 80,000 lb rigs to the 6500 full sized pick ups and down to the smart cars(which also scare the shit outta me)...

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #4 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
Highways have a min speed
As far as I know they don't, except for certain freeways.

Read what this guy writes:
It also reminded me that, time and again, what were once only big-city problems have filtered into our peaceful mountains.

I wondered, “Could this be one of the city folks who think they deserve part of the highway?”

or this:
I stopped riding a bicycle when I was a teenager and there are enough local challenges looming that big-city battles can be ignored.

No doubt, if I still rode a bicycle, I would want somewhere to ride. But, thanks to my upbringing, my first thought in finding that place would be for somewhere that I had a good chance of a safe ride.

He basically says: "fuck you city assholes" and "my values are superior to those of these self-absorbed cyclists".

He brings up some valid point (safety-wise), but he has crossed the line between objective reporting and own opinions. He's so deeply invested in his point of view that I doubt it's possible to have a meaningful discussion with him.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Bicyclist have to obey the same road rules as everyone else. On my local tight twisties they blow stop signs, ride two deep on roads with no shoulders and BLIND turns. They fail to obey traffic laws yet want to "share the road" with everybody else.
I am not saying to hit them with a vehicle but I will hit them with the noise from my pipe when they act like the road is theirs only. Can't tell you how many times I have almost been broadsided by a bicyclist while on my bike because they blew a stop sign or redlight
They should ONLY ride on roads that have shoulders or a cycle lane IMO.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #6 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Posting Frequency

I'm wondering what article he's referring to. It would be fair to see where he's coming from.

Frankly, I can see cyclists here in Austin just asking to be killed. Most streets are fairly safe for cycling, but a few are just death traps (360, Bee Caves Rd to name a couple).
post #7 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
They should ONLY ride on roads that have shoulders or a cycle lane IMO.
That approach won't solve anything. If that was to happen, the next thing to go may be motorcyclists: "blah, blah, stupid motorcyclists, blah, blah, they should only be allowed to ride on a parking lot, blah, blah".
post #8 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Let me just state for the record:

If we (cyclists of any kind) aren't abiding by the laws, then yes they deserve to be ticketed. I can't say that I don't break some laws here and there on all types of bikes, but that is the risk we take. Albeit, most of the time of the pedal powered version, the law breaking is to get my ass out of the way.

So this debate can evolve, I thought some basic info should be on here.

Straight ripped from wiki:

The right to the road
The New York State Legislature took the first step toward resolving the conflict, with the passage in 1887 of "An Act in Relation to the Use of Bicycles and Tricycles." This statute established for the first time that bicycles are "carriages," and that cyclists are "entitled to the same rights and subject to the same restrictions" as drivers of carriages.[5]
[edit]

The statutory right to the road
A basic statement of cyclists' rights and responsibilities has been adopted in the vehicle codes of most American states, as well as in the Uniform Vehicle Code. It says that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as operators of automobiles, except where the law specifies otherwise or where it can naturally have no applicability.
[edit]

The constitutional right to the road
Some countries have noted the right as part of their constitutions.
[edit]

The right to the road by treaty
Cyclists' right to the road has also been enshrined in international law since 1968, with the accession of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Under that treaty, bicycles have the legal status of vehicles, and cyclists enjoy the legal status of vehicle operators.[6] There are over 150 contracting parties to the treaty, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Ireland, almost all of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and China. In countries that are contracting parties, the treaty has the force of law, and its provisions have been incorporated into national law.

HST

post #9 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

How about they just ride on roads that have shoulders or designated lanes. Comapring a motorcycle to a bicycle isn't fair. One keeps up with flow of traffic and is FORCED to abide by same traffic laws as cars and is ticketed if it doesn't.
The other just takes up precious lane space on congested roadways and does not abide by traffic laws and rules. Yet DEMANDS that others go AROUND them, the slow moving ones, which forces the others to break laws/rules and cross center double yellows and sometimes causes head on collisions.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #10 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
That approach won't solve anything. If that was to happen, the next thing to go may be motorcyclists: "blah, blah, stupid motorcyclists, blah, blah, they should only be allowed to ride on a parking lot, blah, blah".
No, we are powered vehicles that can maneuver the roadways perfectly fine without being a hazard to others on same roads(unless squids are riding Zuks in shorts doing 80mph wheelies in a 25mph zone of course).

07-ZX10R-SOLD
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in