Help***buddy Wrecked My 10*** - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dr_wookiee Send a message via MSN to dr_wookiee
Help***buddy Wrecked My 10***

Okay, guys. I need your help ASAP! Here's what happened. I was at work and my roommate (best friend) stole my 2 month old 10 to run an errand. He's got a 7r but his rear tire is fried and needs a new one. Anyways, he ended up rear ending someone with my bike. He's okay but the bike is a kinda messed up. He hit the car going approx. 40 MPH. The front fairing is completely jacked and the left side is all scraped up too. What should I do? He has liability insurance on his bike and that's all I have on mine too. The person he hit isn't going to report it because she was really old and her car was just a little scratched. Here are my questions. How should we handle reporting this accident to the insurance company? Since I only have liability I don't want to report it under my name and also I'm SUPPOSED to have full since I am financing the bike. Also, how much does it take to total a brand new 05 10r? I'm not sure if the front end and forks are messed up. He rode it home and he said it rode straight. I haven't tried it yet mostly because the left peg is gone and the shifter is bent in. Please help me with any inputs you have. I'll try to get pics up ASAP. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like your roommate just bought himself an 05 zx-10..
that sucks dude.. No one rides my bike...no one. especially if I don't feel they could write me a check for the damage if something happened to it..

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #3 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Simple, make him pay for the damage; write a promisory note in which he takes full responsibility for the damage to the bike, list everything that was broken, take-it in for a repair estimate, and make sure you include a specific time frame for the damage to be paid. Also include a clause that states that he will also be financially responsible for any other damages not listed on this note, but discovered while in repair and deemed caused by him (a guy knocked my bike over once and I only charged him for the plastics and stuff I could see, when I took the bike apart I found more damage).

If he refuses to sign the note, call the police, report the accident, and take him to court. Sounds pretty shitty, but what he did was worst...
post #4 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroman
Simple, make him pay for the damage; write a promisory note in which he takes full responsibility for the damage to the bike, list everything that was broken, take-it in for a repair estimate, and make sure you include a specific time frame for the damage to be paid. Also include a clause that states that he will also be financially responsible for any other damages not listed on this note, but discovered while in repair and deemed caused by him (a guy knocked my bike over once and I only charged him for the plastics and stuff I could see, when I took the bike apart I found more damage).

If he refuses to sign the note, call the police, report the accident, and take him to court. Sounds pretty shitty, but what he did was worst...
my thoughts exactly

Retail is for squids. Shop like a pro at Superbike Supply.
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/superbikesupply
www.forum.superbikesupply.com
1-828-287-2101
post #5 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

well I know that I don't want no bike thats been wrecked especially if I didn't wreck it..if he wasn't supposed to be on it then it was stolen..he can deal with buying it from you or he can deal with the police. I'd ask him to take his pick.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #6 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
K10
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Your friend "stole" your bike to run an errand and you are wondering how to handle it? No question, your friend is responsible and he shouldn't even be putting you through the worry of wondering how you are going to fix it. He should be assuring you he will take care of it!
some friend!
sorry!
post #7 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If he hasn't got the money to repair your bike on tap I'd tell him to sell his 7R to cover the damages. If he is a "true friend" he should do that anyway. He took your bike with out your permission, best friends don't do that. Definitely do what iroman said with a promisory note. I would try to handle it between yourselves before getting the insurance co. involved though not to sure if going that route is going to help you anyway because you only have liability.

" A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn that was fun!!"
post #8 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I agree with what everyone else is saying, that's fugged up man. Looks like a good time for your friend to take out a loan and buy you a brand spankin new bike. In return he can have the one he damaged and pay for the repairs by selling his 7R, that way everyone wins and your "friend"(I don't know if I'd call him that) foots the bill.
I certainly wouldn't attempt any type of insurance fraud, like your post is asking for, or you'll both end up with a larger fine than it would take to repair the bike and maybe a few days in the slammer to boot. It's just not worth it. Congratulate your friend on his new purchase.

All you need to know is in the avatar...yea, it's that fast!
post #9 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This is very bad news... but on the up side it sounds like the bike is not totaled and your friend isn't seriously hurt.

It doesn't appear this is an insurance issue, since the bike wasn't covered for collision.

You say this fellow's your best friend... I'd ask him what he thought. I mean, he "borrowed" the bike without asking (legally stealing would have meant he never intended to return with it) and is admittedly at fault.

Dress for the slide & not the ride

Last edited by circusnuts; 08-30-2005 at 06:07 PM.
post #10 of 65 Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Digga Send a message via MSN to Digga
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaforhire
Sounds like your roommate just bought himself an 05 zx-10..
that sucks dude.. No one rides my bike...no one. especially if I don't feel they could write me a check for the damage if something happened to it..

Broken jaw, busted legs, then the ol' bill.

I could never treat my best friend like that - good luck Dr.

Digga the Wolf
Sharing Knowledge Saves Valuable Time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in