Hardley a Motorcycle.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Hardley a Motorcycle....

Okay, so after reading about the guy who had a low HP reading on a dyno at a Hardley dealership, I just couldn't resist gettin' up on my soapbox. I am all for freedom of expression, but I just don't understand the whole Harley thing.

Two guys that I work with are big Harley fans - even though neither has a bike right now (one is lucky to be able to afford the roof over his head). Both want a Harley because they "want to be able to rattle windows and wake up the neighbors everytime the bike starts up". I don't get it.

Recently in Motorcyclist magazine, there was a two-page spread about the new Buell something-or-other. 1200cc v-twin, $11.5k, 104 or so HP, 84 lb. ft. of torque.... Ho-hum. Turn the page and there is the new Aprilia Tuono R Factory. 998cc v-twin, $13k, 130+ HP, 79 or so lb. ft. of torque in a much more attractive and aggressive package. One-third MORE horsepower and almost all the torque for only a few clams more.

Growing up, I was never a v-twin fan, but could now easily add one to my garage. What I don't understand is this: the technology is out there to produce a sporting v-twin (Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, etc.). Why does Harley insist on using decades-old technology to produce a hybrid sport bike? Is the Buell really only for young Harley die-hards who want something other than a cruiser? One look at that huge dinosaur lump of a motor in those things really turns me off. The machining doesn't even look modern!

Speaking of modern tech, big hoopla a while back with the new Harley engine (Revolution?). I think Harley finally broke the 100 hp barrier. Um, ever ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000? Talk about a freight train on steroids! Better running bike, more power, top-notch engineering, and less dough than HD.

Guess I just don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

I don't get it either. That's why I ride a sport bike.

I like the way cruisers look and sound as long as they don't have straight pipes. But the few times I've ridden one, I didn't feel safe. Weak engine, weak breaks, limited clearance....

Buells pretty much suck too. Pretty nice for wheelies, but otherwise nothing to get me excited about. Try to ride it quickly and you are constantly running into the rev limiter... And the tranny bites too... It seems like you have to wait a second or two before you can let the clutch out.... Buells are about as much sport bike as my Grand Am GT is a sports car.

Chris

post #3 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The look and the noise is despicable.
post #4 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Why re-invent the wheel when you're selling all you can make and at a huge premium? Old tech, why should they care? You know you want one....

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #5 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I feel ya man!!.....:headshake

Its got push rods..... What more can I say ......

“Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” --General George S. Patton
post #6 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ive got some used parts that I want to give away but I wouldnt change them for a Hardley.
post #7 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
you answered your own questions my friend. harley was known for its pedigree engineering and its roots. it stuck w that. that was until it sold out to overseas. so now that engineering is all it has left.
also, look at the 1098 only packin what, 140hp or some shit? that bike pushing track numbers on the straights and twisties w price and times that rivals all jap bikes!
im seeing a new era thats following the new motogp bikes. simply put size doesnt matter (no pun intended). just look at the 04/05 zx10r it will run a busa...

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #8 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess its the old each to there own thingy, bit like why people would ride a scooter....
post #9 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100 View Post
Why re-invent the wheel when you're selling all you can make and at a huge premium? Old tech, why should they care? You know you want one....
post #10 of 75 Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
QED
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Who can understand the way of things I just know I'm not a Harley fan but I have good friends that are. The problem I see is that when they get on their bikes they transform into people I would rather not even talk to. The whole leather chaps and head mesh thing.

My sister just came into a lot of money and decided to get some bikes and asked me about Harleys after hearing what I had to say she went with a Honda Shadow, saved some bucks that I made her spend on real riding gear and her and her husband are tickled pink with the bikes and even more happy that they didn't spend on two bikes what they would have spent on one if they bought a Harley!

What I'm happy about is I talked them into getting over the image by buying and wearing some good protective gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in