Hard times for everyone - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Hard times for everyone

I would never thought Honda would do this. Cant blame them.

F1 boss Ecclestone: Honda pullout a 'wake-up call'
Published: 12/5/08, 6:45 AM EDT

LONDON (AP) - Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone said Friday that Honda's withdrawal from the sport provides a "wake-up call" to overspending teams and underlines the need to cut costs.

Honda's announcement in Tokyo that it was pulling out due to the slowdown in the global economy didn't surprise Ecclestone, who had spent much of the year campaigning with FIA president Max Mosley to get teams to reduce their costs, principally by agreeing to a standardized engine.

"This is a wake-up call," Ecclestone told Sky News television. "If you and I wanted to run a Formula One team, we wouldn't need to have to spend what they are spending at the moment - probably ($2.94 million) a year to do it.

"The trouble is the teams are basically run by technicians who should probably be at home playing with their PlayStations rather than spending fortunes to win races."

Ecclestone believes the sport needs to start engaging with its fans again.

"The average guy in the street doesn't care how many cylinders the car has, doesn't know, or what the capacity of the engine is, doesn't care," Ecclestone said. "We are in the business of entertainment and we should be building race cars to race."

FIA, motor sport's Paris-based governing body, said in a statement that "the global economic downturn has only exacerbated an already critical situation."

Mosley is trying to push through cost-cutting measures to safeguard the future of the sport, primarily a standardized engine to be supplied by Cosworth, and transmissions from Xtrac and Ricardo starting in 2010.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to tasos
Hard times indeed Maybe Toyota will be next, they had a HUGE budget for F1..
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

here an other one

Audi pulls out of American Le Mans Series
Published: 12/5/08, 10:25 AM EDT

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - Audi is pulling out of the American Le Mans Series, ending a dominating nine-year run in which its cars won the LMP1 class championship every season.

Audi motor sports chief Wolfgang Ullrich said Friday the German car maker wanted to concentrate on Europe "in these difficult economic times."

The announcement came on the same day that Honda said it was pulling out of Formula One, as car makers around the world have been hit by massive declines in sales amid the global financial downturn.

Ullrich said the decision to drop out was "a difficult one" since Audi helped establish what he called a "fascinating motor sports series."

"Our brand dominated the last season with seven wins in 11 races," he said.

The racing cars in the series used so-called TDI technology - or Turbocharged Direct Injection for diesel engines - which "perfectly supported" the launch of the technology in the United States, Ullrich said.

Audi will continue to race in the 24-hour race in Le Mans, France, and will also keep its cars in the German touring cars (DTM) series, as well in the 12-hour race in Sebring, Florida.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

we are hittin rock bottom now,economy should start a turn around soon,thats why im leavin the country for a year to make some good cash with the government and pay some bills off,start fresh,ya know....
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

$3 mill a year doesn't sound like much to run an F1 team...

Doesn't Ferrari and other top teams spend over $250 million per year?

Cost cutting makes sence in hard economic times. We are all doing it, so why shouldn't race teams? Maybe "dumbing down" the machinery like DMG is doing is the way to go.

Not sure if I like this "Mosley is trying to push through cost-cutting measures to safeguard the future of the sport, primarily a standardized engine to be supplied by Cosworth, and transmissions from Xtrac and Ricardo starting in 2010." That would certainly push Ferrari, BMW, Toyota and other manufactureers out...

Chris

post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

theyll be back, plus there are some new rules to F1 next year that should be make it more interesting (as if its not interesting enough now).

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpriordan View Post
theyll be back, plus there are some new rules to F1 next year that should be make it more interesting (as if its not interesting enough now).

Can't get much bettter than the championship decided on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the year can you, great drama the last couple of years.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilberts Ti ZX-10R View Post
$3 mill a year doesn't sound like much to run an F1 team...

Doesn't Ferrari and other top teams spend over $250 million per year?

Cost cutting makes sence in hard economic times. We are all doing it, so why shouldn't race teams? Maybe "dumbing down" the machinery like DMG is doing is the way to go.

Not sure if I like this "Mosley is trying to push through cost-cutting measures to safeguard the future of the sport, primarily a standardized engine to be supplied by Cosworth, and transmissions from Xtrac and Ricardo starting in 2010." That would certainly push Ferrari, BMW, Toyota and other manufactureers out...

Chris
Honda pulled out because they said it was costing them a half billion a year to run a full years series................
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2008, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

a half billion dollars. holy crap. i guess you can't blame them on this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in