Good thing I wasn't on my 10R... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
DJL
Champion Rider
 
DJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Posting Frequency
Images: 4
 
Good thing I wasn't on my 10R...

...because I got nailed pretty nicely by a truck from behind today in my car...friggin head is killing me right now...

It was funny...as soon as the guy hit me the first thing that popped into my head was what kind of shape I and the bike would have been in if I was riding it...the guys brakes gave out completely...the cops confirmed it on scene...some bad luck...

75 year old guy was driving the truck...everything was pretty calm until the cops tried to explain to the old feller that it was his fault and that he would be charged for driving an unsafe vehicle...he just could't seem to get his head around the fact that it was still considered his fault even though his brakes failed...it was pretty funny...for a second there I thought the cop was going to be receiving a 75 year old judo chop :-) At first he seemed like a sweet old man but then he snapped and the fangs came out towards the end :-)

Good times...

Cheers
DJL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
...because I got nailed pretty nicely by a truck from behind today in my car...friggin head is killing me right now...

It was funny...as soon as the guy hit me the first thing that popped into my head was what kind of shape I and the bike would have been in if I was riding it...the guys brakes gave out completely...the cops confirmed it on scene...some bad luck...

75 year old guy was driving the truck...everything was pretty calm until the cops tried to explain to the old feller that it was his fault and that he would be charged for driving an unsafe vehicle...he just could't seem to get his head around the fact that it was still considered his fault even though his brakes failed...it was pretty funny...for a second there I thought the cop was going to be receiving a 75 year old judo chop :-) At first he seemed like a sweet old man but then he snapped and the fangs came out towards the end :-)

Good times...

Cheers
Where you at a signal/stop light? If so, in a chain of cars or in the front?
bluedevil is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
GP Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: central iowa
Posts: 1,113
Posting Frequency
 
Glad to hear you (and your bike) are ok.

green 10r, Akro EVO 2, Hyperpro rsc, tre, pcIII, Puig DB, K&N, Purvision HIDs, Speedohealer, GONE

08 Ducati Hypermotard S GONE

08 Kawi Concours 14, Area P full sys, PCV, Flies out
speedfreak is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
GP Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,058
Posting Frequency
  
dude go buy a lottery ticket
TI10 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
DJL
Champion Rider
 
DJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Posting Frequency
Images: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
Where you at a signal/stop light? If so, in a chain of cars or in the front?
I was stopped in traffic on a busy road....I wasn't right at a light but was essentially stopped due to a light further up the road that everyone was queued up on. If he had hit me a second and a half earlier I would have piled up onto a guy in front of me who had just pulled away..it was close...

I suspect his truck will be written off...surprisingly my Honda Accord didn't seem to take on too much damage overall...back bumper, light, trunk, paint, etc...

Cheers
DJL is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
DJL
Champion Rider
 
DJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Posting Frequency
Images: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TI10
dude go buy a lottery ticket
Tell me about it...hard to believe eh?!?!? Pretty crazy...thought that sh*t only happened in the movies :-)
DJL is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
DJL
Champion Rider
 
DJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Posting Frequency
Images: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak
Glad to hear you (and your bike) are ok.
Thanks man...I think I'm fine other than a bit of a headache...neck is a tad stiff but almost nothing to even talk about...

Cheers
DJL is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
I was stopped in traffic on a busy road....I wasn't right at a light but was essentially stopped due to a light further up the road that everyone was queued up on. If he had hit me a second and a half earlier I would have piled up onto a guy in front of me who had just pulled away..it was close...

I suspect his truck will be written off...surprisingly my Honda Accord didn't seem to take on too much damage overall...back bumper, light, trunk, paint, etc...

Cheers

The reason I ask is because I worry about that same thing. I got hit from behind in my car like you when stoped...but I always go to the front of the line if you will(split the stoped cars) in traffic on my bike. Sounds like your saying you would have been in the same spot if you were on your bike and would have been hit. but if so good Idea to be to one extreme of the lane on you bike or go to the front for that very reason. I even had one situation where I was at a light and the driver behind did not even realize I was stoped for the red light, but because I was over to the far left he was able to stop right next to me but not hit me because of the room I gave for that very reason.

Anyway, glad your allright but don't be surprised in a day or 2 if your back starts hurting, it did for me I think it was whip lash
bluedevil is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
DJL
Champion Rider
 
DJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Posting Frequency
Images: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
The reason I ask is because I worry about that same thing. I got hit from behind in my car like you when stoped...but I always go to the front of the line if you will(split the stoped cars) in traffic on my bike. Sounds like your saying you would have been in the same spot if you were on your bike and would have been hit. but if so good Idea to be to one extreme of the lane on you bike or go to the front for that very reason. I even had one situation where I was at a light and the driver behind did not even realize I was stoped for the red light, but because I was over to the far left he was able to stop right next to me but not hit me because of the room I gave for that very reason.

Anyway, glad your allright but don't be surprised in a day or 2 if your back starts hurting, it did for me I think it was whip lash
Lane splitting here in Ontario, Canada is illegal. Your point of being to one extreme side of the lane is a good one and something that I do try to do...but you know...obviously not full proof, but it certainly increases your chances of coming out okay I think...better than doing nothing that's for damn sure...

Cheers
DJL is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Lane splitting here in Ontario, Canada is illegal. Your point of being to one extreme side of the lane is a good one and something that I do try to do...but you know...obviously not full proof, but it certainly increases your chances of coming out okay I think...better than doing nothing that's for damn sure...

Cheers
I didn't know that, lane splitting in cali is legal(at certain conditions)...the police do it all the time in traffic and I even follow them right to the front and never had any issues with them or even cops in cars.

Cheers, ride safe
bluedevil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The only thing about my '06 smason5 The ZX-10R 48 06-05-2006 05:53 AM
Any Such Thing? 10R The Out House 15 05-10-2006 05:49 PM
The Good Thing About all the Vibration. Vonstallin The ZX-10R 19 09-21-2004 11:16 PM
found a good thing about our mirrors scottymizt The ZX-10R 10 07-29-2004 09:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome