Getting my knee down? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Getting my knee down?

Boys,

Just curious, but those of you who race, or have nice twisty canyon roads you frequent....you get your knee down right?

I want to try it...and for no other reason really than to do it, or maybe practice for a track day....in a parkin' lot or something. (And no, I don't just want to scuff up my knee pucks to show off to the boys at the coffee shop....lol.)

Do y'all have any tips to pass along, or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

One word for ya Rem....Shubie. I really need to get a dedicated track bike. For me the fear is always dumping a next to mint condition street motorcycle. I'm in the process of looking for one so I can hit up practice and do some amateur racing at Shubie. Not to be real competitive or anything but just to enjoy what these machines are meant for. It's gonna be difficult for me though since my legs are short and I'm old and not very flexible any more.

Last edited by fun2fly; 07-16-2006 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Best advice. Do a track day. Then another. Then another. Dont try on the street or in a parking lot. Just my $0.02

NESBA #456 Intermediate
post #4 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

for me its track only. i dont ride very hard on the street, just too many unknown variables that could be hiding around the next corner
post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:41 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i've never drug a knee, and dont plan too until on a track. i've come close, but its just to risky on public roads. just two nights ago i was goin through a corner i ride through probably 5-7 times a week, wasnt really payin attention, and there was a deer chillin in my lane on the other side of the corner. had i been rippin along tryin to drag my knee, i woulda drug a lot more than just that! save it for the track man.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant
Boys,

Just curious, but those of you who race, or have nice twisty canyon roads you frequent....you get your knee down right?

I want to try it...and for no other reason really than to do it, or maybe practice for a track day....in a parkin' lot or something. (And no, I don't just want to scuff up my knee pucks to show off to the boys at the coffee shop....lol.)

Do y'all have any tips to pass along, or suggestions?
Do the novice group and learn. Not on the street.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #7 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2fly
One word for ya Rem....Shubie. I really need to get a dedicated track bike. For me the fear is always dumping a next to mint condition street motorcycle. I'm in the process of looking for one so I can hit up practice and do some amateur racing at Shubie. Not to be real competitive or anything but just to enjoy what these machines are meant for. It's gonna be difficult for me though since my legs are short and I'm old and not very flexible any more.
I hear ya fun2fly...but, I'm not really that fond of shubie....I did a track school a few years ago, and had fun doing it, but thats all there is. I'd consider doing a track day....if they had freakin' track days....sheesh! I'm definitely not into it enough to buy a dedicated track bike, and certainly not going to turn my 10R into one either, so there really is nothing left.

In any case, Redden and I are looking into renting the track ( a group of us once or twice a month or something) but it would be a weeknight, and it would be limited to guys like us....um...mature...cough cough....lol.

I was just playing around today at the end of my road....large empty cul-de-sac with no houses or traffic around.....nothing more, just playing, thats all. You won't see me attempting it on the street around here.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry guys, maybe my post didn't make any sense.....lol....I'm not looking to drag my knees on the street, I was just playing around close to my house on a closed road with no traffic, hazzards, etc.

I did do a track school (on my '99 7R), and it was fun and all, but thats all there is...they don't have track days to speak of, and I'm not getting into racing.

No worries, I wasn't curious so I could show off for the locals on a Saturday group ride, I just wanted to try it, thats all.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 09:59 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

do it on the track...the road is not as good condition and you will wreck.

I got tiered of buying go fast parts.... So i got a turbo! now i need go slow parts!
If it aint modded it aint yours!
post #10 of 18 Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You have to be comfortable with riding at a quick speed and hanging off the bike. You don't practice draggin knee- it happens when you lean the bike over far enough. You really don't have to go that fast to do it if you can find some sharp turns. I'm not saying knee draggin is something you should be doing on the street... but you really don't have to go THAT fast to do it. I hang off the bike a lot, and often drag knee on the street as a result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in