Friendly Advice for Buying New Motorcycle Parts - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Friendly Advice for Buying New Motorcycle Parts

Guys I'm just gonna throw this out here...

1. If you go to EBAY as your first line of buying prowess looking for NEW retail items then you are not the smartest guy in the world to begin with. I know that sounds harsh, but come on... Retailers of premium products use ebay for marketing and exposure they don't rely on it for actual sales revenue. Yes a lot of sales are made through ebay and other platforms like Amazon, but that is mainly because people are just too lazy (or too stupid) to put in a tiny bit of extra effort to research a better deal.

2. Don't get mad at the seller when they reject your ridiculously lowball offers on brand new retail products. Between Ebay & PayPal a retailer is spending right at 18% of the sold price JUST TO LIST A PRODUCT ON EBAY. If you take into consideration that most profit margins for dealers is around 20% that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for price discounts even if the product is listed at regular MSRP. Additionally when you drop that really lowball price it basically tells the seller that you are not serious about buying the product or you would have put in a more reasonable offer so they really shouldn't waste their time trying to negotiate with you for a mutually beneficial price arrangement.

3. Most retailers put the name of their shop in the Ebay ad. A simple google search will in many cases lead you right to their online store that will offer the exact same product cheaper or AT THE VERY LEAST allow you to contact the business directly and ask for a better deal which they can afford to give when they don't have to pay the exorbitant fees for selling on ebay.

4. If you ARE going to make a stupidass lowball offer on Ebay... Don't do it on a Friday night when the business is closed for the weekend or the staff is at the race track etc. The offer is only good for a short amount of time and if there is nobody available to review it you are just wasting everybody's time especially your own.

You would think that all of this would be commonsense to anyone that has ever had to spend their own money on any retail product...
SpazOnaZX and evilaugust like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 02:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

18%! My gosh, that'll make me re-think my eBay purchases from now on. I'm guilty of buying stuff on eBay because it's easy and provides buyer protection. From now on I'll try to go direct when it's an option.

Thanks for sharing.
LDH likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
then you are not the smartest guy in the world to begin with.
Quote:
but that is mainly because people are just too lazy (or too stupid)
They way you talk about people that don't line up with you opinions or outlook never ceases to amaze me.

Who gives a shit about your out look on Ebay and Amazon.

You have expressed many times about the sins of buying online and
that everybody should buy from their local retailer because they are great guys.
(at much higher prices)

just another butthurt brick and mortar retailer.

Last edited by Bottoms-Up; 04-25-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #4 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Guys I'm just gonna throw this out here...

1. If you go to EBAY as your first line of buying prowess looking for NEW retail items then you are not the smartest guy in the world to begin with. I know that sounds harsh, but come on... Retailers of premium products use ebay for marketing and exposure they don't rely on it for actual sales revenue. Yes a lot of sales are made through ebay and other platforms like Amazon, but that is mainly because people are just too lazy (or too stupid) to put in a tiny bit of extra effort to research a better deal.

2. Don't get mad at the seller when they reject your ridiculously lowball offers on brand new retail products. Between Ebay & PayPal a retailer is spending right at 18% of the sold price JUST TO LIST A PRODUCT ON EBAY. If you take into consideration that most profit margins for dealers is around 20% that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for price discounts even if the product is listed at regular MSRP. Additionally when you drop that really lowball price it basically tells the seller that you are not serious about buying the product or you would have put in a more reasonable offer so they really shouldn't waste their time trying to negotiate with you for a mutually beneficial price arrangement.

3. Most retailers put the name of their shop in the Ebay ad. A simple google search will in many cases lead you right to their online store that will offer the exact same product cheaper or AT THE VERY LEAST allow you to contact the business directly and ask for a better deal which they can afford to give when they don't have to pay the exorbitant fees for selling on ebay.

4. If you ARE going to make a stupidass lowball offer on Ebay... Don't do it on a Friday night when the business is closed for the weekend or the staff is at the race track etc. The offer is only good for a short amount of time and if there is nobody available to review it you are just wasting everybody's time especially your own.

You would think that all of this would be commonsense to anyone that has ever had to spend their own money on any retail product...

Has your boss Dan Kyle got out of prison yet?
post #5 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

And....

Not only do I want the best possible price I can find, but
I want free shipping and no sales tax either.

it's win, win for the consumer.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
Has your boss Dan Kyle got out of prison yet?
Nope. Sure wish he would hurry the hell up too. I got things to do and places to be not to mention I haven't had a vacation for years... I used to run a 30 million dollar IT warehouse and Build-To-Order facility and it was nothing compared to the effort of running this place. Being in Cali doesn't help either with so many draconian rules, laws, permits and certificates about everything. They basically want to fine, license and tax everything you do and everything it takes to do it.

The Suspension Service side of things is actually the best part. I friggin love working on the suspension and getting guys up to speed or improving their lap times etc. I just wish I didn't have to contend with the administration stuff.
Boxtradamus likes this.

Last edited by LDH; 04-25-2019 at 11:16 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
They way you talk about people that don't line up with you opinions or outlook never ceases to amaze me.

that everybody should buy from their local retailer because they are great guys.
(at much higher prices)

Ya know I have posted this on multiple forums and you are the ONLY person out of any of them that has tried to twist it out of context and be antagonistic. Generally people look at it as helpful or at the very least enlightening. As I am in a unique position as a world leader in sales both as a dealer and a distributor for multiple product lines my perspective is appreciated by most people.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've personally appreciated the information and details LDH has brought to this sight, as well as his website documenting his ZX-10R development. The intent of the original post was helpful for the community to realize better deals, and understand how some of the business works. I've also seen him offer better deals to forum members than what he's advertised on Ebay, by a bunch.

Anyway, I don't know him, he doesn't know me, but I can read. Thanks, LDH.
LDH and michael4012 like this.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
I just figure since we live in a free a country with a society driven by Capitalism that people should buy from whoever they choose. That in itself seems to sort things out on its own. I mean if you have great prices, great employees and great service then people are going to buy from you. If not, they wont and you will be out of business. Seems like a self righting ship to me.

post #10 of 23 Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post

(at much higher prices)

Brick and mortar shops are important to our industry. One of my favorite places to hang out is at the local dealer to meet new friends and to discuss motorcycle activities in general. Without brick and mortar this would lost.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in