Forearm fatigue - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Forearm fatigue

Hello all,
I've never seen this issue discussed here but is there anything I can do to reduce forearm fatigue while riding?I'm no wimp , I work out daily and I'm in shape but it is an issue with me. Are there any specific excercises to help?
Thanks in advance.
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
ride slower.

And put all the weight on your legs. You should NEVER be gripping the bars tightly.

And if you are, its prolly cause youre riding to fast for your comfort level, and yorue stressing out.

Just concentrate on relaxing and keepin the weight on your feet.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r
ride slower.

And put all the weight on your legs. You should NEVER be gripping the bars tightly.

And if you are, its prolly cause youre riding to fast for your comfort level, and yorue stressing out.

Just concentrate on relaxing and keepin the weight on your feet.
+1 You hold on with your legs not your arms
post #4 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Macke
The best thing to do, is to try to think how you are using your arms when riding. Really focus on relaxing, and not gripping the handlebars to tight. That's usually the biggest reason for this. I have noticed that the more excited or nervous I am, and the tighter the race is, the more tired I get in my forearms. This is because I tense up, and try to force the bike into every corner, and really wrestle the bike around.

Also, check that your leathers aren't too tight around your forearms. This will obstruct the bloodflow, and make the forearms really cramp up.

I've been having some problems with this when racing for some time now, and apart from practising on your bike every day, there are a couple of good exercises for the forearms that I use.

1) I use a kind of gyro-ball that I bought at a gadget store, works great. It's a bit tricky at the beginning, but when you get it right, its really good exersise.

2) Take a short pole (cut off a broomstick or something). Attach a string (about 3-4 ft.) to the middle of the stick, and then a weight at the end of the string. (Try different weights, until you find the right one).
Then grip the short pole with both hands, arms straight forward, and wind up the weight all the way up, and then back down. Do this both with the knuckles facing up, and facing down (works different parts of your forearm).

3) Use the classic "squeese-spring-thingy". (Have no idea what they are called) You know, the one that looks like a set of pliars or something, and a spring inbetween.
Edit, found a pic.

Try to work with lighter weights and a lot of reps, rather than heavy weights and fewer reps. This will increase your muscle stamina, and not build volume. (Don't want the leathers to get to tight around your forearms)

If you can't race fast, atleast you can look fast...

post #5 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 09:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10x2
I agree with all of the above. I had the same problems until I talk with a experienced rider. The key is to relax and shift your weight to legs and feet.

- 90 Mustang Coupe - 578 hp Grocery Getter
- 06 ZX-10 no mods - I love it
- 10 F250 Crew Cab
- 08 F-450 Crew Cab

I HAD A HANDLE ON LIFE, BUT IT BROKE OFF
post #6 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I was told a few years ago to always keep your arms bent at the elbows a bit....this will force you to use your core or trunk muscles to hold yourself upright, rather than keeping your upper body weight on your arms.

Squeeze with your legs, and keep thinking of using your body while keeping your hands loose on the grips.

JMTCW

post #7 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

25 push ups on your knuckles every day
post #8 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to ram360
I agree with everything above since you brought up exercises. do some forearm curls and reverse forearm curls. You can use dumbbels or even a straight olympic bar. Basically duplicates the exact motion you use when using the throttle of a bike.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

My forearms have never been an issue, yet I do feel or at least did feel it in my wrists initially but my body seems to have adapted. Especially town riding where your weight is on the bars from start stop etc. on the open road with more speed I noticed there is less weight concentrated onto the bars which aleviated the pain in my wrists, but then I also have past injuries in these areas. Also as I got more used to the bike I was able to distribute my weight better so as to not pump it all into the bars.

Last edited by Zega; 07-18-2006 at 04:00 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good post....Always good to be reminded how to ride fast and cumfy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in