falling at high speed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

falling at high speed

okay I need some information on falling at high speeds in a turn and while sitting up straight is there a special way of falling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

huh??? Grab your nuts and hold on??
post #3 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Do you plan on falling a lot? How about learning ways to NOT fall....

:headshake

Opinions are like buttholes........everyone's got one.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Stop, drop and roll

Seroiusly, there is no good way to fall off the bike at high speeds. Ok, let go of the bike and try not to flip to much
post #5 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to byebyebusa Send a message via Yahoo to byebyebusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10ragentorange
Stop, drop and roll

Seroiusly, there is no good way to fall off the bike at high speeds. Ok, let go of the bike and try not to flip to much
Yeah, the best thing you can hope for is to get away from the bike.. it happens so fast that you won't have time to think of much more

99 ZRX1100 - tons of mods and still slow but FUN / 07 Yami FZ1 for the wifie.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

try to keep your head off the ground. dont let your feet dig into the ground either. that will cause you to flip and possibly fugg you up.

Retail is for squids. Shop like a pro at Superbike Supply.
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/superbikesupply
www.forum.superbikesupply.com
1-828-287-2101
post #7 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Actually there is a way to crash, I have vast experience at this unfortunately.

I have had many crashes literally hundreds at speeds up to and over 130 mph.

I raced Grand National Flat track for 7 years and pretty much tossed a bike at every track on the circuit over that time. Just part of going fast is falling off. Most of the faster tracks We rode (1/2 mile and miles) saw very high speeds with very little run off, if any actually. The thing that was hardest to wrap my mind around was the fact I would reach the line of hay bales we spread around the outside of the turns at these horse tracks, or sprint car venues. You see the track builder would stand these bales on end with the theory that if you get into them you hit them low, they flip over you and you dissipate the energy of the impact by converting the forward lateral energy into vertical energy. The fly in the ointment is hitting this 150-pound stationary bale at 130 mph fucking hurts.

This is where technique comes to play. If I find myself in a pre-crash scenario. Knowing I will be on the ground in the next split second I release the bike and get my arms as close to my chest and kick my legs straight out trying to get6 as flat and stiff as possible. The concept is that I will slide and not tumble. It works. If you go fetal, pulling your knees towards your chest, you become a rounder shape with a higher center of gravity and stand a much higher chance of rolling, then bouncing and then you will lose control of your arms and legs and that is when the shit starts breaking or torn out of socket or dislocated.

Also by going flat I am making the largest contact patch as possible to help decelerate my projectile like body. Flat on my back at 120 mph at Laguna Seca earlier this year I was able to slide to a stop in less then 150 feet with nothing more then a few holes punched through my Dainese's My bike went another 200 feet cart-wheeling its way to oblivion.

The worse thing you can do if you are in a crash is throw out your hands to break your fall. This will more times then not, instantly break a collarbone as well as shatter wrist, break fingers, dislocate elbows etc. If you are heading towards the ground try to impact on the hardened corners of your gear, shoulders are best with elbows, hips and back being acceptable impact points.

In a crash sliding is a good thing bouncing is bad.

All my experience is track related I have very little advice in biffing on the street. In most cases street crashes are just gonna fuck you up.

I am too scared to even think about it

"The fact that I may be faster than you has little bearing on my skill, but more to do with the lack of yours"
post #8 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I just went down at Palomar and broke 4 bones in my right hand...untouched all over the rest of my body...sliding is good...putting hand down isn't...

post #9 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
okay I need some information on falling at high speeds in a turn and while sitting up straight is there a special way of falling.
i don't know if it would work for you but i usually yell "OH SHIT!!" right before i impact.....i think it helps to relax me...
post #10 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 11:08 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy
I just went down at Palomar and broke 4 bones in my right hand...untouched all over the rest of my body...sliding is good...putting hand down isn't...
Steve!!!!!! I didn't know you went down at Palomar....did i miss the thread?? damn dude, i'm sorry to hear it and really sorry to hear about it late...you doing ok...pm me with the story...you need anything? I'll be going back to work Oct 10th..so i guess that means i'm healed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in