Ever miss your kids? especially Military.. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
Ever miss your kids? especially Military..

Well once again i am separated from my daughter and this time really is gut wrenching..
I feel like i have an ulcer or some shit (massive stomach cramp), and just about keep busting down in tears..

This si the 2nd time i have been away from her and should see her for about a month come dec/jan, and then wont see here again for 8 months.
I know many other military guys have had it far worse but was wondering the consensus onthis is..do you miss them more and more or less and less.
As if i have to keep doing this, i am sure to get out at 20 years, if she cant be with me all the time..almost at 18 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah man it's hard, but you have to do every little thing you can i.e. videos, tapes, webcams, and phone to keep in touch with your "little ones". It doesn't ever get any easier but your kid will grow with a sense of pride in what you do...Just maximize the time that you do have with her when you're at home.

DDM Tuning HID lights| Sportech Windscreen| ASV shorty levers| Driven D3 grips| Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap| LSL sliders| Woodcraft case covers| PCV with custom map| BMC race filter| secondaries removed| EK 525 red chain| Vortex rearsets| M4 Slayer exhaust| PSR chain adjusters| Speigler brake lines| custom front and rear seat| Pro bolt aluminum bolt kit| Hellrazor servo eliminator
post #3 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't think it got any better while I was overseas last year, you just have to deal with it. Call home when you can, send pictures/letters to each other. Some days are worse than others, but you have work to do so go do it and the time will fly by.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I feel for you. My career field is gone 6 months and home for 6-10 months. My son has grown to hate it when I say "work".

Now when I'm gone I tell him how many "sleeps" until I get home.

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R
post #5 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

I here you man, ( to a extent) My little girl just went past two months, and I have been away the last two weeks and I miss her! I come back tommorow though so I am pumped. I will be gone again in three weeks, sux, but part of what we signed up for. I really feel for you guys that are deployed in the sandbox and in harms way, away from your family. YOU are what make our nation great. When I think of freedom, I thank my brothers and sisters serving away from their loved ones.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #6 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

I was lucky, my son was less then two years old the entire time. It would have been really really tough to go to sea and leave a 4 or 5 year old kid on the beach. My wife understood that sailors go to sea, she married me while I was on active duty... but my kids, they didn't sign up for that hitch.

I know kids are resilient, I know kids understand that dad has to do what dad has to do...

I also know they don't have to like it.

Make the most of the time you have together, send cards, texts, Email, phone calls

My situation was rather unique, Submarines at sea.... simply keep communication at an absolut minimum. I did find that the Chaplin's office was VERY helpful. They held and sent mail every day. Lots of guys used it for their car payments so that the check went out each month... but if you were smart you could write a bunch of cards, and/or letters and drop them off with the Chaplin's office with a date for delivery on each one. They will be mailed on that date and your loved one will get it. Not the same as being there but it shows you care enough to think ahead.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #7 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I miss my son every time I go to work. I can't imagine what it would be like for me if I had him while I was in the Navy.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 AM
WSB Rider

Location: Georgia is home, but the Army has me in San Antonio, TX!!!
Posting Frequency

I just came back from Korea for the second time. The first time my kids were 1, 3, & 4 yrs old. I missed them but they didn't really understand what was going on and why I was gone. The last time my kids were 12, 14, and 15. This time they knew what was going on and it was VERY hard to leave them. Thanks to technology, we were able to see and speak to each other on a regular basis! I had a Vonage phone and a web cam while I was there. We would see and or speak on a daily basis! That made it A LOT easier! When I went back in 96, all we could do was write letters and talk on the phone for a couple of minutes every now and then.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I've never been comfortable being away more than a day. Was out of the military & through college when girls were born, so it's just been business trips for me (at most a week & during those times I feel I have no purpose).

My hats off to you military folks... but know this pain you feel is a good thing. That son or daughter is your assignment & no ones else's. These feelings prove you are alive & aware of that. And you need to tell & remind your kids just how much it hurts to be gone (need to know they're worth that much to you). Right now our world really tries to play down or ignore the roll of parents & family, but in truth you're so key to their success & future. Was reading an article months back about Kara & Adam Goucher (husband & wife Olympic runners) & after winning medals, sponsorships with Nike & Kara coming in second at the Boston marathon this year, both coming from fatherless homes still haunts them (Kara's father died & Adam's parents divorced). Just amazed me to see that listed inside a magazine published success story -- after having met up with their dreams, missing Dad still leaves them empty at times.

Dress for the slide & not the ride

Last edited by circusnuts; 07-24-2009 at 09:09 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

i feel ya man, ive been in the Army for 15 years. all my kids have grown up and it seems i missed most of it. whenever you are with them cherish it man. once the time has gone by we can never have it back again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in