Elements of an Accident - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Posting Frequency

Elements of an Accident

Photo is here!
http://www.swmosportbikes.com/forums...mp;postid=7310

This photo is from a group ride (Sunday 13th). A bunch of friends from Springfield, MO went for a group ride in northern Arkansas. Great roads, great weather, great day for a ride. Unfortunately an unknown 'new kid' on a 600RR joined the ride, with a a horrible ego/skill ratio.
The guys were afraid to mention it to him, out of politeness I guess.

They should have. His riding ended up causing tens of thousands in damage, probably hundreds of thousands in medical, and only by the grace of God was no one killed. BARELY.

This is a shot taken at the scene of the accident, mere seconds after the crash. 'Bo' (lower left corner, *UNDER* the truck), is the new CBR 600RR rider that overcooked the corner and proceeded to lowside and wedge himself *under* the Chevy.

The older white Ford in the photo veered into the oncoming lane to go around the wreck, decided against it, and started backing down the hill.
This is where Jason (Duc rider, Springfield Police Officer) met the truck, 1/2 way around the corner. Jason jumped from the bike just before impact, and ended up with his head/shoulder through the windshield. Paul (following behind Jason) hit the old Ford as well, though didn't sustain as much damage.

Luckily the other riders knew enough not to move ANYONE, so they left Bo under the truck, and Jason on the hood. Bo might lose his right arm; the doctors haven't decided yet. Jason was conscious the whole time, but understood not to move. Good thing. He's got a fractured C7 vertabra (I think the same thing that happened to Christopeher Reeves).

So...next time you think it's rude or impolite to tell that 'over his head' rider to cool down or screw off, think of this.

http://www.swmosportbikes.com/forums...mp;postid=7310

CCS/ASRA Novice 325 | WERA Novice 325 | The Nightmare of Summit Point

2016 ZX10R ABS | 2011 ZX10R | 2019 KTM 250XC-F
GunnRunnaz.com|Gunn Runnaz on FaceBook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 09:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

That's horrible to see and sad to hear. Hope everyone involved turns out alright. Very disturbing to see the lack of leather in the picture, too. Best to all.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
That's horrible to see and sad to hear. Hope everyone involved turns out alright. Very disturbing to see the lack of leather in the picture, too. Best to all.
it sort of looks like most had on jackets (joe rocket mesh) except jason (tee shirt) and i cant tell about BO, Pauls jacket is on the ground (blue and white).

ive never rode canyons or roads like this i realy want to but it seems sooo dangerous (iknow look at me) but what i mean is it looks like there is no margin for error! now if that was a one way i think i would love it!

we have roads near here in VA skyline 211 and the amount of bike recks is astronomical! i mean its way high!!!!! but it draws folks from far and near to ride it!,

personally 5 of my boys have crashe there (all fine) even got footage of it!

anyway i do feel like a wus cause i wont go to the great canyon roads!
i will one day.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 11:11 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Agreed that there is little to no room for error when riding on the street/canyons. I'm a big believer in running way below your full potential while canyon riding. Generally, I would say that I run below 75% of capability to allow for that margin of error. This allows me to tighten (or loosen) a line through a corner to avoid rocks/sand/minvans/etc., if necessary. Running on the track is a whole different ballgame. Ideal conditions, with none of the extraneous worries that come with street riding. It's nice to know you don't have to worry about bouncing off some lightpole or wall if/when you do go down.

As for my comment about leather, I used to be one of the ones that laughed at the "posers" in full leathers in the canyons. Luckily, I fell in with a different riding group a few years back and they converted my attitude to a full-leathers or don't ride mentality. I've wrecked a few times, but every time has been in a full Z Custom suit. It's truly amazing what a good set of leathers can do for you. I've also been witness to some bad injuries from what I would consider not a bad accident, as the rider had nothing but a leather jacket and gloves on.

I'll step down off the soapbox now. I just wish there were some way I could convince everyone to spend the money on a full suit. I think we would lose far less riders this way.

Again, best to all involved. Hopefully, they will all be up and about again very soon.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Posting Frequency

Im gettingmy first pair of leathers this summer (nut suit) as we call them lol, but i have to get a custom pair (i have irregular cuts) lol we have a local leather shop thats been making custom leathers for decades now.
it just cost a bit more :(

some of the fastest guys in the street are track boys and they rock leathers in the street also! but since im shy i might put them on under jeans

i have a lot of boys that wear full leather suits undet jeans, but mostly jumper suits/garage suits.

once i get fitted i can finally hit the track!
and see what really good!

post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 11:45 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Agreed that there is little to no room for error when riding on the street/canyons. I'm a big believer in running way below your full potential while canyon riding. Generally, I would say that I run below 75% of capability to allow for that margin of error. This allows me to tighten (or loosen) a line through a corner to avoid rocks/sand/minvans/etc., if necessary. Running on the track is a whole different ballgame. Ideal conditions, with none of the extraneous worries that come with street riding. It's nice to know you don't have to worry about bouncing off some lightpole or wall if/when you do go down.

As for my comment about leather, I used to be one of the ones that laughed at the "posers" in full leathers in the canyons. Luckily, I fell in with a different riding group a few years back and they converted my attitude to a full-leathers or don't ride mentality. I've wrecked a few times, but every time has been in a full Z Custom suit. It's truly amazing what a good set of leathers can do for you. I've also been witness to some bad injuries from what I would consider not a bad accident, as the rider had nothing but a leather jacket and gloves on.

I'll step down off the soapbox now. I just wish there were some way I could convince everyone to spend the money on a full suit. I think we would lose far less riders this way.

Again, best to all involved. Hopefully, they will all be up and about again very soon.
What he said. All ot it.

Xusia, H.S.B.E. (High Speed Bug Exterminator)

Got speed?!?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to modiggs
As sad as this story is, there will hopefully be some good coming out of it. I'm in the army and my unit has just returned from Iraq. As you can imagine, a lot of young guys w/ extra money and summer aproaching mean only one thing...new bikes. The sad part is, most are new riders, and are starting out on gsx-r 750's and R-6's and the like. In the last 6 weekends, 5 have gone down...3 of which have totaled their bikes. Fortunately, the biggest injury was a broken wrist. As you can guess, motorcycle safety is something that's being stressed right now. It doesn't make sense to dodge bullets and mortars to just be taken down on a back road by inexperience and stupidity. I have just printed that picture, and the accompanying story. I will make an attempt to pass one out to every new rider, and to the experienced guys too. I think a lot of us take a stance that if someone else f's up, then it's just them. What a lot fail to realize is that, that someone may just be starting a chain that will end with one of us. I wish Paul, Jason, and even Bo the best. Here's to what wishfully will be a speedy, but more hopefully a complete recovery.

I once said "Displacement was compensation for lack of skill. Therefore, there is no need for anything more than a well balanced 600." Right, who was I kidding.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I feel bad for those guys and I hope that is a good lesson for people to let people know how to ride on the backroads and such. We have a rule, slower and newer to the back, and everyone waits for the last guy to catch up every couple miles or so, so no one feels as though they are going to be "left behind." And yes, I stress that 75% is the MAX for riding off track, and unless you are racing 90 - 95% should be max for track, = no crashes! The last time we had a guy crash on a ride was, over 2 years ago, and it was because he downshifted and rear tire slid on the gravel, before that was like 8 years ago, so it does work, and keeps people from trying to ride above their head.

As far as leathers, one crash in them and you will be a firm believer. I wear them every time I ride, and even to work, never know what knucklehead is going to make a 3 lane change into you! Every day I hear, Mad Max, Power ranger, etc. But, I am still in 1 piece.

Just the other day, one of the guys on the ship got a bike, and was out for a joy ride (actually to go pick up his leather jacket) and crashed, he has missed the cruise we are on now because he tore his arm up on the guard rail, of which he may not have had the injuries. So it has waken people up to the issue of good leathers.

If you are not smoking your pucks and scuffing your sidewalls, you are just not livin'!!!

Kwak
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakman
I feel bad for those guys and I hope that is a good lesson for people to let people know how to ride on the backroads and such. We have a rule, slower and newer to the back, and everyone waits for the last guy to catch up every couple miles or so, so no one feels as though they are going to be "left behind." And yes, I stress that 75% is the MAX for riding off track, and unless you are racing 90 - 95% should be max for track, = no crashes! The last time we had a guy crash on a ride was, over 2 years ago, and it was because he downshifted and rear tire slid on the gravel, before that was like 8 years ago, so it does work, and keeps people from trying to ride above their head.

As far as leathers, one crash in them and you will be a firm believer. I wear them every time I ride, and even to work, never know what knucklehead is going to make a 3 lane change into you! Every day I hear, Mad Max, Power ranger, etc. But, I am still in 1 piece.

Just the other day, one of the guys on the ship got a bike, and was out for a joy ride (actually to go pick up his leather jacket) and crashed, he has missed the cruise we are on now because he tore his arm up on the guard rail, of which he may not have had the injuries. So it has waken people up to the issue of good leathers.
I had to go pick up my jacket from a leather repair shop yesterday, it was the first time to ride without gear in a long time. Felt naked the whole time and took the backroads instead of the highway. I had forgot how nice the wind felt but it wasn't worth it, too paranoid to enjoy the ride.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2004, 08:09 PM

Posting Frequency

Its great to hear more and mor epeople talk about gear on all of these sites. I started off as one of those people who rarely wore all the stuff. Now I wea, boots, helmet, gloves, leather jacket. I need to scrape up the cash for some pants.
I personally think its sites like this one and many others who we all push gear all day long that make a diffrence. And also Joe Rocket and a few others for making affordable gear, more and more people I see wear Joe Rocketgear. Maybe not the #1 in proection it provides 100times more than a Tshirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in