Economy Run 4 Bikes - South Africa - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Economy Run 4 Bikes - South Africa

Been a ZX-10R owner myself, I wanted to post this interesting info here. . .

I am not sure whether such an event exists anywhere else in the world, but we have one for cars as well as bikes, and I decided to take part this year using the Kawi Er-6f or in the US known as the 650 Ninja.

I had the oppertunity to ride both faired and naked version earlier in the year and suggested to friends the bike has potential. I begged a demonstrator ang had it properly tuned and prep'ed for the event. Another Zedex owner did the same and so we entered to of the little Ninjas.

Article here

We managed to give them carrots though. BMW usually enters a full team, and I have to always hear what fantastic bikes Beemers are. The point was to beat at least half of the 650 field. Smiling coz only a single one beat me. :D

My mind has been changed completely when talking of this little Ninja, and it is in many respects a great motorcycle, I have ordered a naked version.....

then for fun I drive a british racing green MINI Cooper S

Last edited by Yogotta B. Biking; 09-04-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 10:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to BigDally
Yup, I owned a 500R and thought it was a bullet proof, economical, fun as hell ride! Congrats on your place in the event!

D

Big Dally
post #3 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 AM

Posting Frequency

From the article it sounds like a fun event.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

A mag did a show down of best bike for economy. in the end. the vespa got the better mileage, but the kaw 500 was pick as the best bike. it got like 68 mpg, but it was the only bike there to do over a 100 mph.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

That is what makes this event so interesting, we know a Vespa is good on fuel, but it barely makes it 75mph. The event takes the shape of a regularity run, where you run according to time as well. IOW if you're late or early at a control point, you get penalties, in the form of fuel added to your actual use. Bikes are set off an one minute intervals with a map, and there are control points along the route until the end of a section. Now a Vespa or even the 400s sometimes has to run like hell to stay on time, and where we go through mountain passes, they havent got the power or torque to do so economically.
The event ran over different types of routes, to give everyone a fair chance too.
If it was as easy, we could take a Vespa (or the like) put if on Route N1 for a 1000 miles and just wait until it eventually covers it, but the fact that its done over a large distance with maps similar to those used in rally raids, and according to precision timing it takes a bike which is good in a variety of areas to do well.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Just to add lastly, this event showed Ialian bikes has beauty and flair, but its not easy on fuel.
An Aprilia Pegaso managed the same consumption as a small car, marginally beating a Toyota Yaris, while the beaut of a MV Agusta last year did the same consumption as my MINI Cooper S, when I followed the event as a spectator. The Triumph 675, one of my fab 5, was a disappointment too, great looking and handling, but came stone last in its class.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I really don't know why they even tested the vespa. its a great in city scooter, but i can't see why it was classifed as a motorcycle.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Hmmm ...

My FZR400 uses about the same in daily riding as the ZX10R (~6 L/100 km, more if you are twisting you wrist) but both bikes use more fuel than my VW Jetta TDI diesel (~5.5 L/100 km). On a long ride together with a friend on an RC51, his consistently uses about 10% - 15% more than mine.

Best bang for the fuel-efficiency buck was my '94 ZX9R, though. Normal consumption was 5.0 - 5.5 L/100 km, and on long secondary-roads rides without much high speeds but with few stops, I've seen 4.0 - 4.2 L/100 km ... and that's for a bike which is no slouch, either! I'm not sure why that engine was so much more efficient than the ZX10R.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

last year entered a Triumph Daytona 955i, did 4.4 to the point where it broke with ' typical ' electric fault. I think any bike which during normal day to day use would get better than 5l/100km is good enough. Especially in my country where we can easily do 90-100mph sa part of the daily ride. I get to do 150+ once a week...... ;-) that Africa for you, until you see a freakin Rhino, then you do more ;-)

post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
I'm not sure why that engine was so much more efficient than the ZX10R.
Look to the HP #'s for your answer.

Had a 94 also. It broke in half

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in