Do Not Buy A Meritage Home!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Do Not Buy A Meritage Home!!!

Short rant:

We were about to purchase a 1.5 story house from Meritage Homes in the Spring area but it turned into a 4 story house before we signed the paperwork. They have incompetent sales people that cannot quote you the correct price on the house and they are the most unwilling to work with you company I have ever dealt with in my life. Bottom line, they quoted us the wrong price, we were going to accept the higher price although it was their mistake and right before we went in to fill-out the contract, they called us back and told us they had made a second mistake and they wanted even more money for the house...

Long rant:

We had made an offer based on the price that their builder rep quoted us, the next morning we were told by our realtor that they countered our offer with a $5K discount instead of the $7K discount we requested but that they made a $2k mistake on the price of the house. So, in essence, they were only willing to discount it by $3k. We went back and forth a bit on this matter because we were quoted one base price and all of a sudden the base price went up by $2K, but they were not budging on the $2K so we said fine, let's split the difference and just give us an additional $1K even though it was their mistake. They still wouldn't budge because they did not want to sell the house below 200K. Ok, well then just give us an extra $1000 at the design center, it keeps the price at $200K and the $1K goes back to you anyway. Not even that was acceptable to them. We were able to get another $500 off though because they had promised us $500 off for making an appointment over the internet. So we went ahead and reluctantly accepted their counteroffer of $200K minus the $500 internet offer and made an appointment to go sign the contract later that day. Well, about 2-3 hours later, we get a call that they made another mistake and that the cost of the grass was not included in the price of the house and that it was going to be about another $1,111 to the price. At that point I lost it and told them that I was done with them. That is not a way to conduct business and they were not only incompetent and unprofessional but also not honorable business people.

Please stay away from Meritage Homes and if you know anyone that's about to purchase a house; advise them to stay clear of Meritage Home properties but if they do buy from Meritage, to be very cautious...

RANT OVER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

YUP that does it, Im never buying a house from them!

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
post #3 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10Duran View Post
YUP that does it, Im never buying a house from them!
...DAMN!!! Me either, not after hearing that horror story!! hope you guys find something else that you like and get a decent deal on it man.

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Run for your life. It should be legal to shoot some of these clowns in public. Did you give them any earnest money? Is their a contingency agreement? Or are you now free and clear?

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #5 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

We had given them a check for $2K but we got it back today. The builder rep stalled the paperwork on purpose because she knew she had messed-up and instead of being upfront about it with us, she decided to be sneaky about. I actually called the companies corporate office earlier today and spoke with a Customer Relations person; she is going to call the Houston division and talk to some people over here. She couldn't understand why they acted the way they did over $2k. She is supposed to get back to me by tomorrow. At this point, I will not accept anything over our original offer which means now they give me the house at my price or no deal whatsoever...

If it's not that, we have a different and possibly better option...
post #6 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
welds like he has palsy

Posting Frequency

Long time no see iro. Buying a new house is a pain, believe me I know because I've bought two of them. The first one was a build by Choice Homes. Not the best product, but a good starter home. I had some issues with them, but overall they weren't too bad.

The second house, and the one I'm currently in, is a First Texas home. They are pretty good people. We got lucky with this house. The company that we were going to buy from was Sheridan. They were going out of business, bankrupt, and weren't going to be able to fix the stuff on the spec home we were going to buy. I wasn't told this until my inspector couldn't test the plumbing because the city turned the water off due to them not paying the bill! Thank God I found the First Texas spec home in a good neighborhood. They chopped off $15,000 off of the already "on sale" price of the home just to get it moved.

I'm guessing you've made your move to Texas. I think I remember you talking about it a long time ago. Even Texas is having somewhat of a housing slump. I'm shocked that they would throw such a fit over a couple of thousand dollars in this type of market. Hell, I got my home for about $30,000 less than the original asking price two years ago. If you can find a spec home, take a look at it. A lot of these companies are wanting these homes off of their books and are willing to cut the price quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
speakers on a zx10 is like shitting in your bathwater!!!
post #7 of 19 Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP636 View Post
Long time no see iro. Buying a new house is a pain, believe me I know because I've bought two of them. The first one was a build by Choice Homes. Not the best product, but a good starter home. I had some issues with them, but overall they weren't too bad.

The second house, and the one I'm currently in, is a First Texas home. They are pretty good people. We got lucky with this house. The company that we were going to buy from was Sheridan. They were going out of business, bankrupt, and weren't going to be able to fix the stuff on the spec home we were going to buy. I wasn't told this until my inspector couldn't test the plumbing because the city turned the water off due to them not paying the bill! Thank God I found the First Texas spec home in a good neighborhood. They chopped off $15,000 off of the already "on sale" price of the home just to get it moved.

I'm guessing you've made your move to Texas. I think I remember you talking about it a long time ago. Even Texas is having somewhat of a housing slump. I'm shocked that they would throw such a fit over a couple of thousand dollars in this type of market. Hell, I got my home for about $30,000 less than the original asking price two years ago. If you can find a spec home, take a look at it. A lot of these companies are wanting these homes off of their books and are willing to cut the price quite a bit.
This one was supposed to be built as a spec home but it's a house we had been pursuing for a few months and the builder rep requested it with us in mind which was actually nice of her. We were going to be able to customize most of it to our taste but after doing a nice thing, she (the builder rep) turned-around and pulled this crap at the last second. Buying a house is always an adventure; our first place in San Diego came with a lot of headaches as well, mostly after we closed so I wasn't able to back-out but at least these issues came before we even signed a contract. We had already had some issues two months ago at another community and were also able to back-out of that one but we now might go back because we might end-up with a much better deal than the first time around. One thing all prospective home buyer should know is that they are in control and should he/she never accept anything less than what is reasonable or expected; specially nowadays...

As far as the move to Texas, you've got a good memory; we were going to move to Fort Worth 3 years ago and special circumstances kept us in San Diego. This move came about because my son transferred to this area and it actually happens to be my working territory as well; so at least now we have family nearby. We are in Spring if you live nearby, we should get together sometime. If not, let me know if you ever come through here and we'll have a beer or two
post #8 of 19 Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow. You just were dealing with idiots. My Meritage home is fantastic. Oh, and $1,100 for grass? What was it a football field? Geesh. That shi# is cheap. Thre reason I like my home is the fact that my electric bills are super cheap compared to freinds of mine that live in a Pulte home, or some other builder. Similar in size of course. In any case, 2x6 construction, tile roof, good windows, and plenty of insulation. I couldn't be more happy. Of course I'm not in the real estate business, but I work with homes a lot with my insurance business. Sorry you had a bad experience buying a home. That sucks. Maybe the corporate idiots will still shoot you a deal, because a spec home will sell for probably 60 grand less or more. Good luck with finding a house.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mladinracer View Post
Wow. You just were dealing with idiots. My Meritage home is fantastic. Oh, and $1,100 for grass? What was it a football field? Geesh. That shi# is cheap. Thre reason I like my home is the fact that my electric bills are super cheap compared to freinds of mine that live in a Pulte home, or some other builder. Similar in size of course. In any case, 2x6 construction, tile roof, good windows, and plenty of insulation. I couldn't be more happy. Of course I'm not in the real estate business, but I work with homes a lot with my insurance business. Sorry you had a bad experience buying a home. That sucks. Maybe the corporate idiots will still shoot you a deal, because a spec home will sell for probably 60 grand less or more. Good luck with finding a house.
That's exactly why we wanted a Meritage house, it was the perfect design for our needs, the layout is beautiful, and they are indeed great homes, but the experience with these idiots just killed everything we felt. As far as Corporate doing something for us at this point, it will have to be even sweeter since they had one of the idiots call me this morning. I'll post that experience separately; it's a deucey...
post #10 of 19 Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, this ass that was part of the problem called me up this morning with an attitude from the get go because he was probably forced by the corporate office to call me since he never picked up the phone or returned my call when I tried to contact him directly. He starts off the conversation with what can I do for you and starts playing dumb (although, I think he might not had been playing), so I go over all the details with him only for him to tell me there's nothing he can do for me at all. Didn't even offer an apology for the mistakes, only tried to justify them by saying that even if a mistake was made when went into a contract, it wouldn't have mattered. That just shows how dumb he is; had we gone into a contract and they tried to change the numbers on me, I could've sued them.

I'm calling Corporate one more time just to let them know how the conversation went and that I will be posting my experience anywhere and everywhere possible. I might not hurt them financially but I can save a few people from the nightmare of dealing with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in