Disk fusion - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Disk fusion

I have mentioned a few times that I am going to have surgery in a couple of weeks. This will be my second. The first was a disceptomy on my L5/S1. To no surprise this is the disc I am having removed during the fusion and replaced with some sort of synthetic bone material. [U]I was wondering if anyone else had had this procedure done or know of anyone that has it done that still rides?[/U] The disceptomy was a lot less evasive and I was walking right after the surgery. This one is a bit more serious. I will be in the hospital for a few days and on my butt for even longer. It's supposed to be about 6 months to fully recover but I am optomistic. I have lived with back pain for so long that I am willing to do pretty much anything to get some long term relief. It's funny when people ask me all the time how I ride a sport bike with back problems to begin with. Given the way magazines speak of sport bike ergo's you would think that riding for more than an hour would be like spending the same amount of time in a midevil torture device. For whatever reason riding isn't that bad on me. It hurts my ass more than anything. I think its because I am mostly holding myself up with my arms and leaning over. To be honest, driving a car for the same ammount of time hurts me worse. I think its because its because all the weight is on my spine. Anyway, any feedback will be helpful I'm sure and thanks in advance for any responses

Ebony Black 09 ZX10...Full Muzzy M10 Exhaust(Black Teflon)-Power Commander-Custom Map & Dyno Tuned-BMC-Puig Smoke DB Windscreen-Pro Grips-Undertail kit-ShoGun Frame Sliders-RT Lowering Links-More to follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrosled View Post
I have mentioned a few times that I am going to have surgery in a couple of weeks. This will be my second. The first was a disceptomy on my L5/S1. To no surprise this is the disc I am having removed during the fusion and replaced with some sort of synthetic bone material. [U]I was wondering if anyone else had had this procedure done or know of anyone that has it done that still rides?[/U] The disceptomy was a lot less evasive and I was walking right after the surgery. This one is a bit more serious. I will be in the hospital for a few days and on my butt for even longer. It's supposed to be about 6 months to fully recover but I am optomistic. I have lived with back pain for so long that I am willing to do pretty much anything to get some long term relief. It's funny when people ask me all the time how I ride a sport bike with back problems to begin with. Given the way magazines speak of sport bike ergo's you would think that riding for more than an hour would be like spending the same amount of time in a midevil torture device. For whatever reason riding isn't that bad on me. It hurts my ass more than anything. I think its because I am mostly holding myself up with my arms and leaning over. To be honest, driving a car for the same ammount of time hurts me worse. I think its because its because all the weight is on my spine. Anyway, any feedback will be helpful I'm sure and thanks in advance for any responses

My thoughts are with you. My wife is at the same point with her L5/S1 but has to have her knee and groin operated on first. Keep us updted, I'm sorry I have feedback to give you (I have heard both positive and negative).
post #3 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
My thoughts are with you. My wife is at the same point with her L5/S1 but has to have her knee and groin operated on first. Keep us updted, I'm sorry I have feedback to give you (I have heard both positive and negative).
Thank you sir. I too have read the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to spine fusions. If you do research on medical type forums, most of the feedback is negative. I think people that have bad experiences with a surgery are more prone to get on a forum and bitch as oposed to the ones that it has helped simply because they have better things to do than to go on a forum and talk about how great they feel all of a sudden. The doc said it was a 70/30 success rate and should take my pain level down from say a 7 to 3 on a scale of 10. Those are odd's that I can live with. I understand that I will never be 100% again but as long as I am making forward progress and the doc's are being pro active I am happy even if it leads to a medical retirement after 14 years.

Ebony Black 09 ZX10...Full Muzzy M10 Exhaust(Black Teflon)-Power Commander-Custom Map & Dyno Tuned-BMC-Puig Smoke DB Windscreen-Pro Grips-Undertail kit-ShoGun Frame Sliders-RT Lowering Links-More to follow...
post #4 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

sorry to run off topic...but what did you do to hurt your back...and i wish you luck in the healing/recovering process to relief

BOOM!!! SHAKE AND BAKE
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrosled View Post
Thank you sir. I too have read the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to spine fusions. If you do research on medical type forums, most of the feedback is negative. I think people that have bad experiences with a surgery are more prone to get on a forum and bitch as oposed to the ones that it has helped simply because they have better things to do than to go on a forum and talk about how great they feel all of a sudden. The doc said it was a 70/30 success rate and should take my pain level down from say a 7 to 3 on a scale of 10. Those are odd's that I can live with. I understand that I will never be 100% again but as long as I am making forward progress and the doc's are being pro active I am happy even if it leads to a medical retirement after 14 years.
I have a friend who was fused at two levels and golfs on a regular basis with little or no pain. I have another colleague who is full of titanium and doesn't have a hint of pain BUT I have a neighbour who is in as much pain now as before the accident.
My wife has tried disc decompression which worked but is now regressing and is getting fed up with the ongoing pain so she is pondering having the surgery done as she is only 37 years old and has the discs of a 55 year old.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-F Dawg View Post
sorry to run off topic...but what did you do to hurt your back...and i wish you luck in the healing/recovering process to relief

Well, it's hard to pinpoint one specific thing exactly. Before I reclassed after my first surgery, I was an Infantryman for 12 years. I was a Paratrooper at the 82nd for six of those years and the rest was Light Infantry(which isn't). I would say 75% of my problems came from the wear and tear of Infantry life...IE Running a lot, rucking, jumping(parachuting), field and combat operations. This and not taking care of my body by ignoring pain didn't help. Sick call was frowned upon unless it was serious which is a double edged sword in itself. It kept the whiners out of sick call that didn't need to be there but in turn kept people like me from there when I needed to be. I think the other 25% of my problems is that I am just built cheap. There is a ton of old crusty Sergeant Majors out there that are hard as wood pecker lips that have been doing the same thing for over 25 years with little or no problems. Go figure eh'?

post #7 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
I have a friend who was fused at two levels and golfs on a regular basis with little or no pain. I have another colleague who is full of titanium and doesn't have a hint of pain BUT I have a neighbour who is in as much pain now as before the accident.
My wife has tried disc decompression which worked but is now regressing and is getting fed up with the ongoing pain so she is pondering having the surgery done as she is only 37 years old and has the discs of a 55 year old.
Sorry to hear about your wife. I know how she feels. I think I have done about every know inevasive(sp?) procedure known to modern medicine. I even paid for acupuncture and traction out of pocket while I was in Korea just to see what would happen. Nothing happened if your wondering. I understand all of these procedures have to be exhausted before you can be qualified for surgery. This has been going on with me since my last surgery in Feb 06 so it takes a while...at least while your in the service. It also doesn't help going from one provider to another. It just sucks having to wait so long to get a procedure done that will make a difference...hopefully.
On the other hand, it's good to hear that your buddies have had the surgery and are doing good. Hell, I sold my golf clubs thinking that I would never be able to play again. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't play but 9 holes so I called it quits. I sucked anyway but thats beside the point. I have high hopes that this procedure will help in some way, even if it means I will have to medically retire but with the way things are going in the white house I really wouldn't mind. I think I could find another job to compensate for what I will lose on my paycheck each month. We'll see I guess.

BTW, it seems like people that have injuries have a higher success rate with surgery compared to people that have accidents like your neighbor. Just a thought.

Last edited by Astrosled; 10-12-2009 at 03:42 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i had a discectomy for the L5/S1 last may and it's already screwed up again, I'm probably heading for a fusion.

I have the same problems of sitting down for long periods of time, a long car ride is enough to screw me up for a week.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimZX10r View Post
i had a discectomy for the L5/S1 last may and it's already screwed up again, I'm probably heading for a fusion.

I have the same problems of sitting down for long periods of time, a long car ride is enough to screw me up for a week.
I hate to say it man but that's me to a tee. Being in any position for an extended period of time kills me.... especially sitting erect. Good luck.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

good luck with that, sounds like touchy stuff

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in