Deals Gap questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Deals Gap questions

Okay gang, hope some of you will be able to help out here. I am in the process of changing jobs and my wife and I decided that it would be good to take a couple of weeks before I start the new job. It's a little last minute and we were trying to decide where to go. We're heavily considering the Deal's GAp area.

We've never been and are looking for feedback from people who have. A friend of our also just recently came back from there for his second or third time. My wife is a little nervous (we'll both be riding - her on her zx9 and me on the 10) because of all the accidents and deaths. I don't plan on going down there and being Racer Ricky. I figure that is just a good way to come back with a broken bike or worse. We do plan on having fun and doing some spirited riding.

Looking for suggestions on places to stay as well. There is the famous Deal's Gap Motel. I also looked into Two Wheel Inn and Phillips Motel. Guys can get away with a mattress on the floor and a shared toilet. We're not looking to break the bank, but something that is half-way decent. We've stayed in some pretty nasty cabins up in Lake George NY (bathroom floor was so soft I was afraid of falling through).

We are planning to not only ride the Gap (we'll be trailering the bikes down there for about a week), but also Blue (Hair) Ridge Parkway and a couple of the other famous roads.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 06:35 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I like staying in Townsend. It's centrally located between Gatenberg, Pigeon Forge, The Smokey Mountain Nat'l park, and the Gap. The Gap is a 30 min ride down the Foot Hills Pkwy. Also has easy access to food, beer, and cell phone access. You'll find staying closer to the Gap you'll be cut off from the world (can be a good thing!).

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #3 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks Miykl. I'll take a look into that area. Being cut off from the world may not be a bad thing....
post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey Dennis if the wife is going with, you should look into getting a chalet in either Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. My wife and I go down atleast 2-3 times a year and stay outside of Gatlinburg its about 45min. from the Gap. Try and ride during the week though the weekends are super crowded and lots of enforcement from Tenn. and N.C. state boys.. You and your wife will love it!!

Last edited by 04zeex10r; 06-29-2006 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

franklin has some good hotels. about 30 minutes from the gap. stay away from the gap on the weekends. i ride mostly backroads when i go. the gap is fun but you can get yourself in a world of trouble there.

this is why i ride backroads. something like this could ruin your day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUyKH1nY_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvrcqeIPYOg

Retail is for squids. Shop like a pro at Superbike Supply.
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/superbikesupply
www.forum.superbikesupply.com
1-828-287-2101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in