Dealers what gives??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Dealers what gives???

Hey everyone I have a question for you guys and gals out there? Has anyone been to a dealer and visted the service department to get some tires mounted and balanced? I live in the city of orange here in southern california and have 2 dealers with in 10 miles of my house and I will not ever go to them for anything anymore for as long as I live. I visted Orange County Hondas service department here in the city of Orange to get some 209's I bought up at the track mount on my rims. I went their because they are 1 mile from my house and easy to get things done so I thought. They said they would mount my tires at the usual cost no big deal "but it would be 2 or 3 since I did not buy them their and that I was not a priority because of that". Are you guys and gals out there running into that say shit at your dealers in your home town? I stopped going to the dealer I bought my 06 10r from because of the same reason. What gives with these a..holes? Jeff Man I am pissed off..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 12:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How long have you been on motorcycle web sites? The common opinion is that dealer service departments suck ass. The rare opinion is that dealer service departments are good. People sometimes have no other option to get their repairs done but you will find out that a lot of bike owners would rather do their own work than take it to a dealer.

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I 've been riding for over 22 year at this point. Man I am getting old. I just cant believe the way that they treat us. I mean it justs a set of tires, build a relationship with a customer isn't that the goal if you own a business. Hell their so close to my house I would spend all my money their if I could get some decent service out of them. Instead I go to my buddies dealership which is 25 mile away and get those things done. With no hassle.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

YEah I feel your pain, unless you know someone there , they wont give you the time of day when it comes to installation of parts and such you havent purchased there......All the reason I want a shop of my own. Worst case there would be I would charge regular rate for items not purchased from me and give them a discount on installation of parts bought in house....but turning away or pushing someone to the back of the line is not good business. If it weren't for them having been spoiled with the backing of the bike manufacturer then they wouldnt be in business long at all...

Some of the local dealers had a change of heart once independent shops opened up and started taking customers away from them and started taking outside customers serious....but a few small shops have faded away and I hate to say it but i'm sure it will be back to the old ways again....

post #5 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

for one, POST thier names! give us the name of the dealership so EVERYONE here in the area knows where NOT TO go or is at least forwarned. Dealerships will have to learn the power of WOM (word of Mouth) and second, FYi, Gemini Motorsports in San Fernando Valley, will match like anyones price on tires, (best prices is Cycle grear and if you buy a set, they knock off anotehr %10 with free shipping)net too I think, doesn't care where you get them and charges $25 for mount and balance for each tire, AND will check your oil and adjust your chain no charge and you can watch it all, unline Kawasaki in Marina Del Ray, where they have these HUGE dungeon doors that are closed for the service area, so you can't see ANYTHING they do, kinda wonder about that. yes I know its a saftey issue, probably a lot people lost limbs from valve stems popping off or something
post #6 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I know dealers get upset when people bring tires to be mounted that were bought somewer else because thay make a bigger margine on the tires than tha accual mounting. By the time you pay extra to have the tires mounted that you bought some were else, it's the same as buying them from the dealer in the first place. I will say that here in New York we have one of the best Kawasaki / Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki dealers around. Instead of upsetting their customers over mounting tires, they go and buy tires for sport bikes in bulk so that thay can charge very close to what you pay for mail order tires when you include the shipping costs. You can get just about any Dunlop, Michelin or Metzler sport tire at mail order rates. They can do this now because all popular sport bikes have eather a 180/17" rear or 190/17" and 120/17" front tires. Also they are very fair when it comes to repair costs. I have been doing my own work on my bikes for over 20 years. But I had an electrical problem with my 04 10R that I tried to trace and fix for 3 weeks. I finaly took it to Dutchess Recreational Vehicals here in Poughkeepsie, and figured I was going to be in for a huge diagnostic charge for them to find my problem. I always ask to deal with one tech in their service department because he has been there for 25 years. He found were a wire on the out side of the harness had chaffed against the frame. This was in a place that would have taken me another 3 weeks to find and as it turned out it was realy my fault because of the way I had put something back togeather. Total BILL = $89.00. The other thing I have to mention is that I try to by all my parts from them, and have for over 20 years. They know I do my own work, but if I need a special tool like the socket to remove the motor mount on my old 1993 ZX7R, they will loan it to me on a Friday as long as I have it back to them on Monday. I can't tell you how many times I have done this. So if you can find a GOOD dealer to be loyal to it can be a great relationship for when you realy need them. Rememeber they are in buisness to make money. Any one who works is "In buisness to make money" I know I don't need any practice just a pay check.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well ill chime in.

Well generally speaking, NO the dealers don't make more of a profit margin on the tires than the mounting. The mounting is generally a 99% profit thing for them as they can have some box boy or counter clerk mount tires. (Ive worked at a dealer).

What it boils down to is Dealers are feeling the hurt from online and catalog sales. Virtually nobody buys exra's for the machine from dealer anymore because of price competition.

Dealers "can" make a better profit off of selling extra's and tires, etc than the sale fo the actual bike when you compare percentages.

So to sum it up. Dealers are still selling bikes, but not the accessories; they are pissed at catalogs (on-line) but yet refuse to lower prices to compete. Unless they do so they are cutting their own throughts...and i say let them do it.

A local man in my area opened up a shop. He does not sell bikes of any sort but sells all the accessories at catalog prices and mounts the tires he sells for free and $20 per tire if you bring one in. His shop supports the consumer.

I too have local shops doing the same thing as far as turning people away. One went as far as to say it was a "liability" if they mount a tire you didn't buy from them.

Them telling you that you are not priority is them telling you your money is not important.............so best thing is, take your business to someone who want your business and show them your patronage; thats what i do.

Dealers do suck, and most of the mechanics are shady ill trained anyhow. Find you a small shop or a local guy with a trusted reputation!!

Bay Cycle, Bay City Michigan.........same shitty attitude

Ryders Power Sports, Saginaw Michigan.......great place to do business.

If your not first, your last
-Ricky Bobby-
post #8 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

A dealer will make between $60 and $100 if they supply the tire and fit it, there actually isnt much wrong about that if you think about it considering the prices of Z rated specific profile car tires.
I used to get my tires from the same suppliers when I owned my shop and it used to bug the hell out of me when guys would bring in their own tires to be fitted and they always neglected to tell you how much they paid for shipping and how long they had to wait for delivery when arguing on tire prices
As for independant shops taking trade, that seemed to fade quite quickly once the dealerships figured out they could sell new bikes with aftermarket pipes etc. , all on finance.
I was relishing the thought of the new line of Gixxers that appeared in the late 90's, I even thrashed it out with Yoshimura to become a registered dealer,only to find that the dealers were fitting cans and incorporating them into the price .
Where I used to make money was on the carburetted bikes like the ZX9's and CBR's but that faded into nonexistance when all these plug and play bikes appeared.

The motor trade in general gets a bad rap and there doesnt seem to be any distinction in skill levels , you're a mechanic or your a sales person or a service manager, as a mechanic you rely on your reputation and not your skills or knowledge to get trade, some get lucky, some dont.
Where the dealerships fail is there is no personal involvement and the mechanics are locked away from the outside world, this is beneficial for the dealer as there is no time wasting with customers and their needs and there is no liability for customers walking in the service area, people like personal service and involvement with their investments, its a bit like going to a restaurant where you can see the food being cooked as opposed to the kitchen being hidden, there is always that thought in the back of your head on wether you are getting somebody elses left overs.

So the independant guy carries on struggling and his thoughts of being a millionaire fade with every morning alarm bell, but what a great guy for fitting tires for next to nothing, he doesnt carry much stock as Wallmart have cheaper oil and filters and the WWW has every aftermarket part available for the same price as his cost.

Just ranting a little.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Dealers around here will not even touch a tire unless you buy from them.

post #10 of 21 Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well I can't speak for dealers I don't know, but when my dealer charges $20.00 to mount and balance a tire that you buy from him he's not making the same 200% proffit he makes on the tires themselves. I know this for a fact. I know what the dealer cost is for tires as well as othe parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in