ctjackster and Avalanche owners - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

ctjackster and Avalanche owners

Has anyone put their bike in the back of an Avalanche?

The back of this thing is pretty high. Not sure I want to load the bike back there or get a trailor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	16668  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

id just by a trailer.... but i cant afford one yet, so i put mine in my truck
post #3 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Get 2 ramps. One for the bike and one to walk up. You can also build stairs with coolers and toolboxes. Make certain your ramp is curved so the bike's belly will clear the ramp/tailgate intersection. Also be damn sure to secure the ramp to the truck so it can't shoot out from under the bike. Then just power the bike up the ramp as you walk next to it. Later, when your testicles have descended, you can just ride the thing up into the truck. Sitting sidesaddle. If you've never seen THAT done, it's impressive. There is a ramp that doubles as a cargo fence. Nice. If you can get the trailer out of the equation you will be a LOT happier. Go faster, use the fast lane, save gas... Even a JoeHauler will kick a trailer's ass with that rig. Great product. I've used one extensively with liter bikes and it's as safe as any trailer, and safer than many.

Last edited by mad kaw; 06-25-2006 at 10:43 AM.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

put it in the truck

'05 ZX-10R
'09 Streetglide
post #5 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 11:23 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I load mine in my Titan without any issues, but I have good ramps. My trailer is much easier though.

Going through life with blinders on and lovin' it.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad kaw
Get 2 ramps. One for the bike and one to walk up. .

Good advice - I have a nice wide ramp that goes from ramp to bed extender (which you might need in this instance) and the foldability also helps with stowage of the ramp. I'll find out where I got it if you want. And I have a plastic, extendable ramp that I use to walk the bike up.

The problem with the Av is the same prob with other full size 4x4 trucks - pretty high up. You need to find a steep slope in the driveway or loading area, and take advange of it by backing into it and setting your ramp up there.

I have never loaded or unloaded my sportbikes alone, have only done that with dirt bikes - have ridden dirt bikes up ramps even and banged to a stop at the end of the bed.

On the Av, on certain bikes you can load your bike nose in and, with the midgate down, get the tailgate up if you need the extra length and don't have a bed extender. But for our ZX10s you will need to have the tailgate down.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...=11424;i mage

ps A titan is not a truck any more than a subaru brat is

Jack

06 Kawasaki ZX10R, Akra Carbon-Hex slip ons, Sato rearsets, -1 F, PCIIIusb, TRE, BMC Race AF, Speedohealer, blah blah blah
[other things in my garage with engines and tires: 02 Avalanche, 65 L76 Corvette, 7.0 hp Sears lawnmower, 10 hp MTD Snowblower . . . ]

Last edited by ctjackster; 06-26-2006 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I used to put my bike in my old '90 Z-71 Chevy years ago. An 8' 2x10 did the trick. It did help to try to park the truck a little downhill of the bike to lessen the angle of attack.

As for trailers, I found a good used trailer last year. Bought a used 6'x12' utility trailer for about $300. It needed wiriing and wheels, so I ended up puttinng about $300 more into it, but it's already paid for itself by towing the bikes to Americade and NH for vacation, as well as home-improvement projects and hauling about 3 yards of mulch for our yard. Look around - I'm sure you can find a deal as well.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I get mulch in truckloads every year (two yards of mulch dumped into the back of my Av by the Bobcat at the bulk mulch place) - I confess to absolutely loving my Avalanche - got one of the first ones when it first came out in 2001 (02 Model)

Jack

06 Kawasaki ZX10R, Akra Carbon-Hex slip ons, Sato rearsets, -1 F, PCIIIusb, TRE, BMC Race AF, Speedohealer, blah blah blah
[other things in my garage with engines and tires: 02 Avalanche, 65 L76 Corvette, 7.0 hp Sears lawnmower, 10 hp MTD Snowblower . . . ]
post #9 of 17 Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster
I get mulch in truckloads every year (two yards of mulch dumped into the back of my Av by the Bobcat at the bulk mulch place) - I confess to absolutely loving my Avalanche - got one of the first ones when it first came out in 2001 (02 Model)
How's that mid-gate after a few years? Any leaks, squeeks, rattles? I never really got the concept of the Av at first, but they are growing on me. I've currently got a '97 Explorer 5.0 AWD (with 31" BFGs, +2" rear shackels/springs & torsion twist up front - the beast does see it's share of off-road) that towes our trailer and bikes. I know that I'll have to replace it at some point and thinking about another truck. I like the bed of the truck, but also like the interior space of an SUV. An Av may be the way to go in the future.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was thisclose to buying a Dodge quadcab rig before I saw the new Av - at the time, I had an infant son and was trying for a second kid, and needed a full size back seat to justify leaving my 'Hoe behind. Av's rear seats were and still are just like the ones you'd find in a Suburban - just as roomy, etc. And, I wanted a truck to handle all that I do - I was tired of jamming sheets of plywood and other lumber, shrubs, etc. into an SUV - the Av completely takes a 4x8 sheet of ply (with the midgate down) with the tailgate shut, and everything dry and locked up.

I hauled a ton (really, a ton) of 6x6x12 p-treated landscape timbers in the Av once too - way past the max load, but everything seemed just fine.

Early Avs experienced less than 100% waterproof midgates, and when it rains hard at night (my Av is kept outside) my rear carpet is a little damp in the most rearward areas. I think this issue has been cleared up in the last 4 years, however.

Great Avalanche forum with TONS of info and modifications to consider: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/index.html

Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in