Cornering, Ins & Outs! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Cornering, Ins & Outs!

What is everyones views on riding corners in terms of where is your comfort zone, have certain things improved your confidence over the years and what are these and has your confidence improved, even though streets or roads are more dangerous how have you applied track experience to on road conditions, do you feel comfortable on twisty roads in all situations familiar and unfamiliar roads? Also what are your views generally on how to handle corners especially entry into corners where you can't see the severity of the corner. Obviously mindset plays a big role and confidence also, what have been big mistakes while out on winding road sections etc. etc. Sure spped is a big contributing factor to mistakes...............................

Just trying to get more of a feel as to what everyones take on this subject is?

Opinions are like ASSHOLES, everyone has one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
I have applied my track experience in the corners to the roads and streets. So much so that I no longer ride on the street. The track to the fun out of the streets and made me aware at how dangerous the streets are, especially corners on the street. I just wrecked at over 120mph lowsiding around a fast left on the track. After sliding and rolling around in the grass i got up with not even a scratch or a bruise. Not saying you cant get hurt on the track but I know I would be hurting if I crashed like that on the street.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

With say familiar surroundings knowing the conditions would you find cornering quicker easier, it makes sense it would, how do you handle unfamiliar tracks or roads etc?

post #4 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Maybe what Zega is searching for is some hints to make cornering easier for someone that is unsure or they may be a little scared of leaning in a corner. I know I find myself weary of leaning in the corners as I am unsure of myself and how far is safe to lean. I would love to do a track day or track school but I also don't want to lay my 10 down trying it. If I could afford a dirt cheap 600 that It wouldn't matter if I layed it down I would be all over going to a track.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Just call me Dirk Diggler

Posting Frequency

IMHO the track and the street are not the same.I would not ride on the street like I would ride on the track.I enjoy lightly spirted rides out to the coast and around northern Cal But It's enjoying the ride and buddie's not racing to many variables on the street
post #6 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, years ago, when I came off the street and on to the track, it is deffenetly a different world. And, YES, if you try to ride on the road like you ride on the track you will not live long or you will just deside to give up ridding on the road altogether. I still road on the street when I raced, because I commuted to work on my Concours. I still ride the Concours on the street and do some touring, and I usually take my ZX10R out on early Sunday mornings with the boys. We ride briskly, we "Ride The Pace" which is a mind set you get into, but you probably won't understand it or be able to maintain it if you haven't been riding for about 30 years or so. There are still hazards on the street and taking the speed part of your race track expereance to the road only makes it worse. Read Keith Codes Twist of The Wrist, and apply the 1 dollar rule to your riding on the street, as well as on the track. Giving up the street because of your expereance on the track is a waste of knolwlege that can be used to make street riding safer and more fun. Focused Consentration Is The Best Form Of Meditation.

Last edited by ZX10Rip; 05-01-2007 at 03:03 PM.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Zega, a good book like Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist" would be a good starting place. I know how cool reading sounds when you could be out riding but that book (and many others like it) have so many golden nuggets of information in them that it is well worth the investment both in time and $$.

AM#777
Big Thanks to Wheelsport Ottawa, Compulsion Racing, and Accelerated Technologies.
www.seanhuffman.com
post #8 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70 View Post
Maybe what Zega is searching for is some hints to make cornering easier for someone that is unsure or they may be a little scared of leaning in a corner. I know I find myself weary of leaning in the corners as I am unsure of myself and how far is safe to lean. I would love to do a track day or track school but I also don't want to lay my 10 down trying it. If I could afford a dirt cheap 600 that It wouldn't matter if I layed it down I would be all over going to a track.
I guess what I am saying is dont try to find the limit on the street. Save that for the track. I would always be weary leaning much on the street regardless of what may seem safe as there are to many variables involved.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by booneylander View Post
Zega, a good book like Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist" would be a good starting place. I know how cool reading sounds when you could be out riding but that book (and many others like it) have so many golden nuggets of information in them that it is well worth the investment both in time and $$.
also a good idea.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I seem to go through stages about a month ago we went up for a rally and went to a few passes there, probably the most hectic roads I have been on in terms of "winding" I felt comfortable, even though I didn't know the road, road at pace faster then the others but I was comfortable and felt well within my limits, had good lines and fealt comfortable at whatever lean I was at. Sure a lot of riding since then but then today I went out, not a very good road surface and dificult camber to certain corners but I felt so hesitant going into every freaking corner, despite this I got through every corner pretty comfortably and we were going at pace, so why this hesitation when it isn't necessary? Maybe I am constantly over concerned of what can go wrong if you loose concentration for a split second? As well as the unknown factor of what could be around the corner as well as how sharp the corner was??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in