cook where's my hasenpheffer - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

cook where's my hasenpheffer

Anyone know do you de bone the rabbit before cooking? Or should She paid extra for a de boned rabbit? My wife says I have to pick the bones out. Sounds likes DEA cover up.

2011 zx10r
Ducati 996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

When my grandmother made it, she parboiled the rabbit first with an onion and some salt

then strip all the meat off the bone and make the Hasenpfeffer. Hasenpfeffer is basically stew, but made with rabbit instead of beef.

put the rabbit in a pan with enough water to cover, cut up an onion into large chunks and about 2 - 3 teaspoons of salt... boil until the meat comes off the bone...

that is called "parboiling" Throw away the water and onion... not good for anything, it pulls most of the "gamey" taste out of wild game and can be done with squirl, rabbit, etc.

you can follow any stew recipie, but the traditional has alot of pepper, too much for my taste

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back

Last edited by Rifleman; 12-19-2011 at 08:15 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
When my grandmother made it, she parboiled the rabbit first with an onion and some salt

then strip all the meat off the bone and make the Hasenpfeffer. Hasenpfeffer is basically stew, but made with rabbit instead of beef.

put the rabbit in a pan with enough water to cover, cut up an onion into large chunks and about 2 - 3 teaspoons of salt... boil until the meat comes off the bone...

that is called "parboiling" Throw away the water and onion... not good for anything, it pulls most of the "gamey" taste out of wild game and can be done with squirl, rabbit, etc.

you can follow any stew recipie, but the traditional has alot of pepper, too much for my taste

This will be noted for next time She got most of the bones out All in all it was good Our son looks at the rabbit living under our deck differently

2011 zx10r
Ducati 996
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

well I dare say... this is something you can do..

I would bring back the rabbits, field dressed and skinned. My grandfather would put them in a pot with the onion and do the parboil outside to keep the smell out of the kitchen...

what grandma got was just the meat, bones and parboil done... you can freeze that if you like and when you are ready to make the Hesenpfeffer, pull the bag of meat out of the freezer and use it.

that is the way I prepair alot of wild game if it's small stuff. Phesant, dove, quail, rabbit, squirl, woodchuck... When the cook is ready... all the pre stuff is done. I just consider it a help that I can do..

and your son can help... when you are ready to harvest the rabbit... make sure he is along to help with the field dress... and prep...

man job, meat, fire... ugggg

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in