Conti Sport Attack - Review - - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up Conti Sport Attack - Review -

I pulled off the Duncraps and put on a set of Conti Sport Attack’s in the factory sizes for my ’06 10.

I had 3100 miles on the stock tires and the front was still OK but the back had steel showing (just barely).

The Conti’s seemed nice right away but until I had them “scrubbed in” I wasn’t pushing them at all. Honestly any new tires feel good when you first ride your bike having pulled off a set of worn out ones.

I now have around 300 miles on the Conti’s and they are definitely better than the Dunlops. After my ride today I looked at my rear tire and had a little over 1/8 inch chicken strips so I haven’t pushed them out all the way yet but I will!

I was taking it a little east today as this is the first day in a week of snow and ice that I could ride. We had a fair amount of rain that followed the freezing weather which helped wash away the sand and crap but I was still a little tentative on all of my favorite curves.

I never had any slipping on the tires, except for one time when I hit a little patch of sand. I saw it coming and was prepared for it. The slight slip I got was impressive and very controllable. Needless to say I made sure my front didn’t hit it!

My favorite tires are (of course) the Pilot Powers but as we all know they are not yet available in the 190/55 and I wasn’t going to shell out $175 + shipping for a rear only. The Conti’s were $204 delivered for the pair and if the lifespan of the Duncraps is any indication I don’t guess the PP’s will last any longer.

As time goes on I will be adding to this thread what I think of these tires based on my experience going through 8 sets of PP’s on my XB12R over the last couple of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't know if this pic shows you anything but here it is anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conti16.JPG
Views:	1632
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	26813  
post #3 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 08:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome, in 3 weeks they are going on my bike for sure
post #4 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

i have a set in the garage just waiting for spring.
post #5 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Conti's rock I tried to tell a bunch of people on the R6 board and they all told me I was high and "all we run are then pilots" bla bla bla!!
post #6 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to blackhawk10
IDK if i should go for the PP2ct or those conti. Which one will last longer? and reguardless of longitivity, whice one has better tracktion? Also i'm aware of the big price diffrence.

Damn, I could bang on that back door all night long!
post #7 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk10
IDK if i should go for the PP2ct or those conti. Which one will last longer? and reguardless of longitivity, whice one has better tracktion? Also i'm aware of the big price diffrence.
Just a guess but i'd say they will both last about the same. We don't wear out these tires 'cause we corner too much. We wear out the center of them 'cause we got wicked powerful bikes!

I have to believe that the 2CT's will have better traction in the corners at least they should considering the 2 compound technology (thus the price).

The point I am going to find out is: Are these tires (the Conti's) as good as you need on the street, even considering very hard cornerning demand and straight line acceleration. If these tires will do as well as Pilot Powers (in my opinion) and last 3000 miles or more (for the rear). I say thumbs up and I will buy them again.

3000 miles is all I expect to get out of a rear tire the way I ride. I don't do wheelies (intentionally) or burn outs, but I do rip the throttle WFO a lot, in any gear. And yes the front end does tend to lift a fair amount. The distinction I need to make here is that when the front end does come up it's due to the power at full throttle and I'm kissing the front faring to try to get it back down.

Last edited by lionheart; 01-21-2007 at 09:56 PM.
post #8 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to blackhawk10
yeah the price is a big diff.

Damn, I could bang on that back door all night long!
post #9 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk10
My test on the traction is going to be how much they will slip on slick asphalt.

OK you're from Texas so you know those two lane FM roads where they have used tar to fill cracks in the asphalt. Then in the hot summer days when that tar flows and creates this shiny black very smooth surface.

If I can go all out over that shiny black tar and not slip too much, they are as good as the pilot powers. I already know I can't with the dunlops 'cause i slipped like crap through some of that stuff a month ago. Way worse that the PP's ever did on my XB12R.

Last edited by lionheart; 01-22-2007 at 07:15 AM.
post #10 of 54 Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

good write up... my moneys still on the corsa III though as my favorite. ive got a set waiting to be spooned 190/55 rear even!! ive also got a brand new set of pilot powers 120/70 190/50 that i think im going to sell to buy another set of corsa III's.

but for the price difference these may be worth checkin into. the corsa III's with a 120/70 front and a 190/55 rear are runnin me $275.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in